Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » no true Iterator support in Upp???
icon5.gif  no true Iterator support in Upp??? [message #28946] Tue, 28 September 2010 22:56 Go to previous message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
recently i came along to look closer at Iterator implementations in containers and i have to admit it is simpler that i expected..

generally i like simple, no doubt, it's most times the best option anyway. but the Iterator question somehow bugs me.. 2 things especially..

* Upp Iterator exist in 2 flavors, Iterator and ConstIterator, depending which one is able to be acessed, depending of the source state...(a const object can only return a ConstIterator). the speraration needs to be there to be able to correctly have mutator methods even on ConstIterator, like advancing the ii index..

* Iterator is *not* container independant, not even the template versions.., its not a 'sourceless' interface.. that you can store together with others from different container type but same element type i.e.

* Iterator interfaces are not coherent. the template version is not the same as the Vector version i.e. The template version is only used by the BiVector/BiArray containers, offering the rich interface..

* the virtual function less implementation of Iterator as per container, simpy beeing a pointer to an element is for speed reasons.., as well as the pure templated version..

what about a bit more flexible iterator interface?
i'm digging, as soon as done, i might post some ideas, but as i know mirek, he'll be up and done in no time with a cool solution anyway.

cheers

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Handle a RGBA* with ImageBuffer