Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What license Ultimate++ should use? Tell us!!!
Re: What license Ultimate++ should use? Tell us!!! [message #17536 is a reply to message #17524] Tue, 19 August 2008 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
gprentice wrote on Tue, 19 August 2008 13:56

amrein said this
Quote:

I am missing something?

I have no idea coz I am totally lost.

According to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license

the BSD license meets the definition of open source as described here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Definition

BSD license yes. BSD like license = status unknown. On the U++ website you can read BSD licence but this is not the official licence but a modified one.

Quote:

yet item 2 seems to require distribution of source ??

amrein said this
Quote:

BSD license = Do whatever you want. If you release unmodified source, you must keep the copyright and license in the source. If you only release an unmodified TheIDE+U++ binary, you must tell about this license + keep the copyright. You can release modified TheIDE+U++ (binary or source) with whatever license you want but you must change the copyright.

I haven't got the slightest idea how you can conclude this when the BSD license says this
Quote:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

i.e. the terms of distribution are the same whether the source is modified or not - and - the only requirement is that the license is included verbatim/unmodified - meaning that the distributor can charge money for it if he wants and I cannot ask for royalties.

In the U++ BSD-like licence, they give you the right to deal in the Software without restriction. They make a difference between "Software provided" = "TheIDE+tools+U++", "libraries provided by this software" = "U++", "Your own source".

If you copy the software provided (src or bin) => "copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included.."

If you modify or merge the source => Well, no part of the license restrict your right. They already give you all right "without restriction" at the beginning

This is an English language issue. "Software" has no plural. And when you say "source code", you don't know if it means the entire tarball or part of the source code.

Quote:

Also, what do you mean by "wall software" - I don't understand this term.

Graeme

Entire software. The complete tarball. "TheIDE+tools+U++".

[Updated on: Wed, 20 August 2008 03:44]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message