Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » How install Upp under Ubuntu Hardy from PPA?
Re: How install Upp under Ubuntu Hardy from PPA? [message #26573 is a reply to message #26567] Wed, 12 May 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

nlneilson wrote on Wed, 12 May 2010 03:13

Thanks for looking into this.
Attached is the output.txt

theide never started and no setup box.

Hi nlneilson,

I checked the output and I think I'm finally getting the idea... I suspect the problem is with checking the signature. The strange think is that it worked for me. Anyway, I changed the script a bit, could you run it the same way as before please?

Quote:

With Eclipse for java a download can be placed anywhere, everything is in one directory, and a link to the executable is all that is required.

With Upp for Win it is the same, everything is in the upp directory except MyApps as a "workspace" Updating, AFAIK, is just replacing the upp directory with the new one.

Why can't this be done for upp in Ubuntu?

Technically it can be done. Practically, it is almost impossible. The problem is, that various versions of ubuntu and even same version on different systems might have different libraries installed. The packaging software is one of few sane ways how to ensure that there will be installed everything that is needed for theide to run. We could make theide in single directory, place it /opt but then we would have to distribute also all the shared libs, to make sure it works properly, not even to mention that it would be necessary to set up PATH in such ways that the program find the libs and the user finds the program.

Quote:

Just as an option for those that have problems with or would rather not use PPA.
The only other viable option is to download upp-src-x11-NNNN.tar.gz and compile it. Releasing compiled software for Linux is generally quite complex task - you have to compile for various architectures, make sure the libs are available as described above, etc. I have never seen opensource project that would go this way, only closed source application are distributed like this, for obvious reasons...

Honza
  • Attachment: script.sh
    (Size: 0.83KB, Downloaded 248 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message