FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Commercial applications developed with U++
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #32860 is a reply to message #32727] Wed, 15 June 2011 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
281264 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2011 10:32

I agree, some learning videos would be fantastic and it may attract new programmers.

I wouldn’t say that the documentation is excellent; in my humble opinion is ok. To me, after a first period, I feel comfortable working with U++ now. However there are many tools/functions not fully documented, and I think it is a pity. Nevertheless, U++ community is excellent.

I couldn't agree more. Video tutorials can be very attractive, if done right. There is already one linked on the front page, but unfortunately it seems to require Flash to watch it, and it has no proper download link, so I couldn't watch it so far. It would be great to provide if more were prepared and made better accessible.

As regards documentation, I've read in a number of threads and posts here that not everything seems to be properly documented, which is a pity and also a bad habit. Good programming approach would be to write documentation and functionality specification before writing the implementation. It may be convenient to hack something without a specification but then you cannot tell apart bugs from features (what is the behaviour of something that is not defined?).

To bring this thread at least somewhat back to its original topic, I think that incomplete documentation certainly hinders commercial adoption in general, and rightfully so. When I was first looking for programming libraries around for GUI programming, which may now already be some years back, I've also read about WTL as an alternative to MFC, but I couldn't locate proper documentation. User comments were very positive about WTL, but is it widely used? From what I read, it certainly lacks documentation.

mdelfede wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 22:01

When I first met U++ I was scared about the way things were done, and also because of theide appearance.... and I lost almost 1 year before going back to it, after trying some other libraries and IDEs.

Lance wrote on Tue, 26 April 2011 02:19

I also registered in 2007 (the year you registered), but I wasted some more years!

Interesting to see that there are more people who didn't make use of U++ until after some time but later came to believe that it would have been a good idea to embrace it earlier. I've also procrastinated learning C++ and U++ so far, but I intend to change that. Hopefully, it will turn out as good.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Is "luluxiu" real, (spam)bot, or an attempt at breeding AI? :)
Next Topic: Windows 7 and U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 21:38:51 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01245 seconds