Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » How install Upp under Ubuntu Hardy from PPA?
Re: How install Upp under Ubuntu Hardy from PPA? [message #36720 is a reply to message #36718] Thu, 28 June 2012 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Neil,

I understand that it might be a little confusing for anyone who is not familiar with the ubuntu package management. I believed that the link provided on Download page pointing to official launchpad step-by-step guide should be enough of documentation... Well, just now I found the address is no longer valid Sad I will definitely fix that and replace it with hopefully better guide directly on U++ site. I am sorry for the inconvenience the missing documentation might have caused.

However, I don't think your rant is fair. The six hours you spend was completely unnecessary, the whole installation takes few minutes. I spend hundreds of hours of my free time working on the packaging and automatic builds in PPA and I believe it is now as simple as it can be. If you were just a little more patient (complaining about no answer to a question mere 10 hours after posting it on the forum is definitely not a sign of patience) and waited for an answer instead of hastily reinstalling entire OS, or if you clearly stated that you're still a novice to Ubuntu package management, then your problem could be solved without you getting frustrated and scaring other users from even trying by that "warning".

Just for a future reference, until there is a better guide: You only need three commands to install U++:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upp

After that you can run TheIDE from application menu or from terminal typing just "theide". It is not that hard... I bet a few minutes of google search would give you enough hints to figure it out.

Concerning the location of the files when installed, I already told you before: /usr/share/upp is the directory with sources and theide executable can be found in /usr/bin directory.

Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message