Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » SSH package for U++ (A feature-rich ilbssh2 wrapper for Ultimate++)
Re: SSH package for U++ [message #50156 is a reply to message #50152] Thu, 09 August 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Quote:

Sure, as I said that was the point where I decided that fully non-blocking mode is "blocking" this kind of interface.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this one.
Here is the snippet of the working version of the same method (bot in blocking and non-blocking mode) from the now-cancelled-update:

int SFtp::Read(SFtpHandle handle, Event<const void*, int>&& consumer, int size) // Data read engine.
{
        int sz = min(size, ssh->chunksize) 
 	Buffer<char> buffer(sz);
	int rc = libssh2_sftp_read(HANDLE(handle), buffer, sz);
	if(!WouldBlock(rc) && rc < 0)
		SetError(rc);
	if(rc > 0) {
		consumer(buffer, rc);
		sftp->done += rc;
                if(WhenProgress(sftp->done, size))
			SetError(-1, "Read aborted.");
		ssh->start_time = msecs();
	}
	return rc;
}

int SFtp::Get(SFtpHandle* handle, void* buffer, int size)
{

Clear();
 	Cmd(SFTP_GET, [=]() mutable {
		int rc = Read(
			handle,
			[=](const void* p, int sz)
			{
					if(!buffer)
						SetError(-1, "Invalid pointer to read buffer");
				memcpy((char*)(buffer + sftp->done), (char*)p, sz);
			},
			size
		);
		if(rc >= 0)
			sftp->value = sftp->done;
		return rc == 0 || sftp->done == size;
	});
	return sftp->done;
}

This works as expected. Note that for any kind of get method all you have to do is simply wrap the "engine" to suit your needs.

Quote:

I think there is a race condition here - two threads can obtain this lock simultaneously. Now I am not sure whether is this supposed to be MT safe, but if not, why atomic, right?

Yep. You see, an ssh shell is a complex environment. You cannot initalize multiple shells, and/or exec channels at once (I don't want to go into details here). This is a limitation of the libssh2. Their initialization have to be in some way serialized. These so-called Lock/Unlock methods handle that serialization when multiple shells or execs were started while maintaining a single threaded non-blocking and/or multithreaded asynchronous initalization. This is what makes multiple shells or exec channels at once (and the SshShellGUI example, for that matter) possible. I added the lock for NB and started to convert it into a thread-safe version. But the idea was yet to be finalized. In the end (in the now-cancelled-update) I decided to go with a RWMutex instead.

Quote:

I am also pretty ambivalent about all those static AsyncWork methods. I think these are better left to client code. Especially if we abandon the non-blocking mode.

Ok, this is not something I would object. Once the new SSH package is done I'll write a small complementary package with a handful of MT convenience functions only and maintain it in my git repo.

To sum up:

If you find it reasonable, I'll rewrite the SSH package with only blocking mode in mind (but with neceasary thread safety, and add its components gradually).

But as I already wrote in my previous messages, let us not change the "single session-multiple channels model" and not exclude any components.
When you start working in environments that rely on ssh ecosystem, as I do, you eventually end up working with ssh tunnesl, exec, and shells.
Besides the current shell implementation we have is AFAIK one of its kind. Smile I don't know any other open source shell component that does what Upp::SshShell does.
Hence it has educational and advertorial value. I mean, If you look up on stackoverflow or other relevant sites you'll see that even a barebone practical ssh shell implementation with libssh2, and also libssh is a mystery to people, let alone a shell that can have running multiple instances at the same time and that even works under Windows dumb-console. We can use this to promote U++, by writing a tutorial, demonstrating the shell in, say, codeproject.

Is this OK?

If so, I'll start writing the new code and commit the changed package within next week.

Best regards,
Oblivion

[Updated on: Thu, 09 August 2018 17:03]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: WebSockets client in javascript connected to an U++ server sending binary messages
Next Topic: TURTLE high cpu usage, potential security flaw, and client handling problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 19:43:23 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02507 seconds