Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » [Proposition] Simply source package manager for Upp
Re: [Proposition] Simply source package manager for Upp [message #54248 is a reply to message #54241] Sun, 14 June 2020 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello,

As a long time U++ user, allow me to state my initial stance (before we delve into any discussion) Smile

1) I get the impression that the proposed approach has a potential to break things in TheIDE, umk, and/or makefiles.
Because it seems to require heavy patching and has a tendency to get overly complex. (I may be wrong, of course.)

2) Bazaar is a nice way to keep extras in one place. So I agree with Koldo here.

2) OTOH, I do think that at least TheIDE can do better. At least there should be an easy way to download, set up, update, check, remove GIT/SVN/etc. repos as assemblies, nests, or packages, in a guided manner ("next -> next -> ok", I mean.). This can be done in the main package selection screen of TheIDE and later via a file menu item. In short, IMHO the main package selection screen should allow users to manage their local/remote assemblies/packages/nests as transparently as possible.

I believe this general approach can provide a smoother way to achieve something similar to "remotes" integration. In this way, say a remote git repo, could be direcly cloned as an assembly/nest/package and can be worked on locally. But we'll get the chance to update the local copy periodically, push changes if we have a write access, etc. Since the latter already exists in TheIDe in some form, however rudimentary, all that has to be done is to polish the existing svn/git integration and then write a good repo setup dialog (next->next->ok) which will present the user with options to set up the repo as assembly, nest or package, and which can serve to both new and experienced U++ users.

P.s. I am not very happy about the overall file structure of upp-components. I am going to overhaul and polish it with -hopefully- Upp's 2020.2 release (and sync with it thereafter, using only a dev branch to add new stuff in the meanwhile), Still I think agregating packages in a repo is better for me than having a repo for each package (given that I am going to publish new packages and some other tools/apps in the near future)

Best regards.
Oblivion

[Updated on: Sun, 14 June 2020 20:49]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How does UPP classify keys
Next Topic: Will UPP support full UNICODE (21bits long codepoint)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 21:24:03 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01428 seconds