FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Deepcopying One container
icon5.gif  Deepcopying One container [message #23574] Mon, 02 November 2009 09:37 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,

I've met following problem with polymorphic classes in One containers. Consider following code:
#include <Core/Core.h>
using namespace Upp;

class A{
public: 
	virtual void DoSmthng(){Cout()<<"I'm A.\n";};
};
class B:public A{
public:
	virtual void DoSmthng(){Cout()<<"I'm B.\n";};
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN{
	One<A> a=new A;
	One<A> b=new B;
	One<A> c;

c<<=a;
	c->DoSmthng();

c<<=b;
	c->DoSmthng();
The output of this is
I'm A.
I'm A.
It surprised me at first, but after looking in the implementation of operator<<=, I understood that this is to be expected (that is not a bug).

The question is: Is there some workaround to make a copy of One without loosing the information about the type it stores? I mean to make it work same way as if you do
	c<<=a;
	c->DoSmthng();

c<<=b;
	c->DoSmthng();
but without a and b beeing picked. Is that even posible?

Thanks for any responses.
Regards,
Honza
Re: Deepcopying One container [message #23576 is a reply to message #23574] Mon, 02 November 2009 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well using references works:
	{
		One<A> &c=a;
		c->DoSmthng();
	}
	{
		One<A> &c=b;
		c->DoSmthng();
	}

But since One is an encapsulation of a pointer, I believe it should not inherit <<= from DeepCopyOption, but rather do a low level copy of the pointer so that the placement new is avoided.
Re: Deepcopying One container [message #23578 is a reply to message #23574] Mon, 02 November 2009 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 03:37

Hi,

I've met following problem with polymorphic classes in One containers. Consider following code:
#include <Core/Core.h>
using namespace Upp;

class A{
public: 
};
public:
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN{
	One<A> a=new A;
	One<A> b=new B;
	One<A> c;

c<<=a;
	c->DoSmthng();

c<<=b;
	c->DoSmthng();
The output of this is
I'm A.
I'm A.
It surprised me at first, but after looking in the implementation of operator<<=, I understood that this is to be expected (that is not a bug).

The question is: Is there some workaround to make a copy of One without loosing the information about the type it stores? I mean to make it work same way as if you do
	c<<=a;
	c->DoSmthng();

c<<=b;
	c->DoSmthng();
but without a and b beeing picked. Is that even posible?

Thanks for any responses.
Regards,
Honza

Surprisingly, yes, we can provide polymorphic copies - by overloading DeepCopyNew.

That can be simplified by using PolyDeepCopyNew, using virtual
Copy method.

In reality, I have never really used polymorphic deep copy, it looks a little bit tricky to me. What is your usage scenario?

Mirek
Re: Deepcopying One container [message #23590 is a reply to message #23578] Mon, 02 November 2009 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks for good news, Mirek!
Quote:

What is your usage scenario?

I was afraid you will ask Smile Now I have to show everyone the ugly scheme I've come up with Embarassed

I use descendants of my class PlotSymbol to provide a methods used to paint different marks in plot. Then I have a VectorMap<String,One<Plotsymbol> >. Every new symbol class is "registered" by adding into this VectorMap, so that user can be presented with a list of available symbols and choose which one to use. Everytime user changes his mind and selects new symbol, I would like just to copy the One<PlotSymbol> into local variable (and setup some additional parameters, e.g. colors or size).

So basicaly what I need is to make a copy of the underlaying PlotSymbol, without knowing what type is it. The information in manual made me believe it is possible, but then I've found that it only works when the source is picked.

I'll try the solution you suggested...

To cbporter: Thanks for your reply too. Unfortunately I need a full copy of the pointed object so I can change some additional properties without affecting the original...

Re: Deepcopying One container [message #23596 is a reply to message #23578] Tue, 03 November 2009 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 11:14

Surprisingly, yes, we can provide polymorphic copies - by overloading DeepCopyNew.

Copy method.

In reality, I have never really used polymorphic deep copy, it looks a little bit tricky to me. What is your usage scenario?

Mirek

PolyDeepCopyNew works like a charm! Thank you very much Mirek, the solution was trully genial in its simplicity.

Just for future reference, the solution is something like this:
#include <Core/Core.h>
using namespace Upp;

class A: public PolyDeepCopyNew<A>{
public:
	virtual A* Copy()const{return new A;}
};
public: 
	virtual B* Copy()const{return new B;}
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN{
	One<A> a=new A;
	One<A> b=new B;
	One<A> c;

c<<=a;
	c->DoSmthng();

c<<=b;
	c->DoSmthng();
}

Honza
Re: Deepcopying One container [message #23599 is a reply to message #23596] Tue, 03 November 2009 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 08:21

luzr wrote on Mon, 02 November 2009 11:14

Copy method.

Mirek

PolyDeepCopyNew works like a charm! Thank you very much Mirek, the solution was trully genial in its simplicity.

Just for future reference, the solution is something like this:
#include <Core/Core.h>
using namespace Upp;

class A: public PolyDeepCopyNew<A>{
public:
	virtual A* Copy()const{return new A;}
};
public: 
	virtual B* Copy()const{return new B;}
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN{
	One<A> a=new A;
	One<A> b=new B;
	One<A> c;

c<<=a;
	c->DoSmthng();

c<<=b;
	c->DoSmthng();
}

Honza

IMO, the example is a very little bit misleading - Copy should deepcopy some content...

Mirek
Re: Deepcopying One container [message #23606 is a reply to message #23599] Wed, 04 November 2009 08:40 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 19:45

IMO, the example is a very little bit misleading - Copy should deepcopy some content...

Mirek

Well, the example is oversimplified. In most cases it probably should deepcopy the content - but not necessarily every time. For example in my case, all I needed was to preserve the information about type to keep the virtual methods accessible. (And I overwrite the content anyway.)

Honza
Previous Topic: *Map::IsPicked() is missing
Next Topic: Latest change on FileMapping::Map() wrong for win32
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:34:38 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02547 seconds