Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » adding version and company info?
adding version and company info? [message #33321] Sun, 24 July 2011 21:11 Go to next message
dave is currently offline  dave
Promising Member
hi,
i'd like to add version and other information to the compiled exe, such as
name-
description-
company name-
version-
copyright-
license-
etc....

doing this in upp is a pain.

most ide's have an inbuild versioning system, which makes it easier to add and manage version and other related information.
why does'nt upp have it?
i think it is a must.

is there a better way of adding version and other related info than adding it through .rc file, which quite often is error prone?

regards

dave
Re: adding version and company info? [message #33324 is a reply to message #33321] Sun, 24 July 2011 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi dave,

First of all, I must say that I don't know the real reasons why versioning is not integrated into theide and the following are just my guesses. Someone more competent might add precise explanation later.

So first reason: By the way you describe it, I believe you are talking about the info that shows e.g. in the "Properties..." dialogue in windows explorer. So here comes a first problem, U++ is a multiplatform tool and this is very platform specific.

Second reason that comes to my mind: Inbuild versioning system is probably not a must as you say. Because if it was, someone would already implemented it Wink

Third and last reason I can think of now: There are probably at least two possible ways how to do this in theide. The rc file could be generated using either Macros or Custom build steps, using a simple script that would handle the versioning externally (which is more clever anyway, because it allows way more freedom to you).

Does that answer your questions?

Best regards,
Honza
Re: adding version and company info? [message #33326 is a reply to message #33321] Sun, 24 July 2011 22:48 Go to previous message
dave is currently offline  dave
Promising Member
well i almost forgot that upp is cross-platform. sorry about that.

been working in windows for quite a long time, i think its now time to move on..be more adventurous.

yes you have answered all my questions. thank you.

dave
Previous Topic: best method of saving users settings?
Next Topic: Question on a widget on top of a widget **BUG STATEMENTS NOT COMPLETED BEFORE NEXT STATEMENT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:27:54 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01595 seconds