FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Need help at Linux (debian) install
Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37459] Tue, 09 October 2012 09:38 Go to next message
NilaT is currently offline  NilaT
Hello everyone.

I use Ultimate++ on my Windows Machine, yesterday I wanted to give it a try on my virtual linux machine, but I didn't get it running, hope anyone can help me?

I have Linux Mint Debian, which uses Debian Repositorys. I updated to the latest version and tried the following things:

1) Add the debian repository to the sources.list, as mentioned here: http://upp.invothink.com/release/README
-> I end up in an '500 Server internal error' when I do apt-get update

2) I tried the Ubuntu .deb. First it says something is incompatible. Then I tried it again, the 'install package' button as available, but again something happened (can't remember exactly, was late last night)

3) I decided to download the source and compile it myself. So I downloaded the tarball, extracted it and typed 'make' in the terminal. Result: Error in a Ctrl.h file (can't remember which) which tells me my X11 xfs.h (or similar) is missing. Did a 'find / -name xfs.h', can't be found on my system.

Well, I gave up then... but I definitely WANT Upp on my VM.
Can you guys help me and give me some hints?

Help would be very appreciated.
So thanks in advance and greets.
Nil

[Updated on: Tue, 09 October 2012 09:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37462 is a reply to message #37459] Tue, 09 October 2012 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Nil

NilaT wrote on Tue, 09 October 2012 09:38

1) Add the debian repository to the sources.list, as mentioned here: http://upp.invothink.com/release/README
-> I end up in an '500 Server internal error' when I do apt-get update
I didn't test the repository nor the instructions or anything else then debian, so it might need some fixes to make it work on the derived distros. I suspect that 'lsb_release -sc' returns something else on Mint than on debian. Could you please try to run
lsb_release -a
and post the result here?

You can also try to supply the distro in step 1) manualy (assuming that Mint is based on Debian Wheezy)
 echo "deb http://upp.invothink.com/release wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/upp-release.list

2) I tried the Ubuntu .deb. First it says something is incompatible. Then I tried it again, the 'install package' button as available, but again something happened (can't remember exactly, was late last night)
It is quite probable that the dependencies couldn't be solved. Ubuntu often uses different versions of libraries than Debian...

3) I decided to download the source and compile it myself. So I downloaded the tarball, extracted it and typed 'make' in the terminal. Result: Error in a Ctrl.h file (can't remember which) which tells me my X11 xfs.h (or similar) is missing. Did a 'find / -name xfs.h', can't be found on my system.
This looks like you miss some of the development pacakges for libraries that TheIDE depends on on linux. You should install them first, this should be enough:
apt-get install libx11-dev libxft-dev libpng12-dev libbz2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev

Let me know if you need some further assistance. I sincerely hope that you can make the Debian repository work for you, it should be the easiest way. I will also update the README file to fit better for derived distributions as well.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37463 is a reply to message #37459] Tue, 09 October 2012 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello and thank you very very much for your fast reply.
Unfortunately I can only test it tonight, at about 8 pm (20:00 o clock)

I will give feedback then.

Oh and if you're updating the readme, is it possible that the wget syntax isn't correct?
I'm not very familiar to linux yet, but this looks very funny to me:
Quote:

wget -O - http://upp.invothink.com/dolik.rce.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

What I mean is the "-" without any parameter? (like the O at -O)

//edit: Nevermind, got the solution. -O - is printing to STDOUT and - is bringing it to STDIN, right?
Source

Regards

[Updated on: Tue, 09 October 2012 10:39]

Re: Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37464 is a reply to message #37463] Tue, 09 October 2012 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

NilaT wrote on Tue, 09 October 2012 10:27

Oh and if you're updating the readme, is it possible that the wget syntax isn't correct?
I'm not very familiar to linux yet, but this looks very funny to me:
Quote:

wget -O - http://upp.invothink.com/dolik.rce.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

What I mean is the "-" without any parameter? (like the O at -O)

//edit: Nevermind, got the solution. -O - is printing to STDOUT and - is bringing it to STDIN, right?
Source

Yes, exactly Smile The -O is a parameter specifying where the output should be stored. It is usually a file, but in this case it is "-" which is common shorthand for standard output in POSIX environments, which is then routed through pipe to the apt-key program. The same could be also written as -O /dev/stdout, but that is bit more verbose and I am too lazy too type Very Happy

Honza
Re: Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37466 is a reply to message #37459] Tue, 09 October 2012 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you, changing "lsb_release -sc" to "wheezy" solved the problem.

Here is my output from lsb_release -sc resp. lsb_release -a:
Quote:

nil@kampfkeks:~$ lsb_release -sc
debian
nil@kampfkeks:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint Debian Edition
Release: 1
Codename: debian
nil@kampfkeks:~$

So now it's clear why it didn't work yesterday Wink

The installation was easy, but theres another funny issue right now.
When I run theide, all menus are blank. I can't read anything. I have to put the mouse over, so the text appears.

And another funny thing, when I create a brand new "CtrlLib application with main window" and compile it, I get several errors.

Please take a look at the attached screenshot, maybe you can give me some help.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Nil

//edit: Okay, solved problem #1 by myself. Solution: In theide go Setup -> Environment -> IDE and change GUI theme from "Host platform" to standard". I think the fonts were incompatible.

But for problem #2 ... can you show me your Build Methods? I only got gcc in there. But there has to be mingw, right?

[Updated on: Tue, 09 October 2012 21:52]

Re: Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37467 is a reply to message #37466] Tue, 09 October 2012 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

NilaT wrote on Tue, 09 October 2012 21:43

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you, changing "lsb_release -sc" to "wheezy" solved the problem.

Here is my output from lsb_release -sc resp. lsb_release -a:
Quote:

nil@kampfkeks:~$ lsb_release -sc
debian
nil@kampfkeks:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint Debian Edition
Release: 1
Codename: debian
nil@kampfkeks:~$

So now it's clear why it didn't work yesterday Wink

Great Very Happy I'll adjust the README to handle this.

When I run theide, all menus are blank. I can't read anything. I have to put the mouse over, so the text appears.
//edit: Okay, solved problem #1 by myself. Solution: In theide go Setup -> Environment -> IDE and change GUI theme from "Host platform" to standard". I think the fonts were incompatible.

Seems more like a same color of text and its background. U++ tries to guess those colors from the GTK, but unfortunately, in some cases it can result in little glitches like this.

And another funny thing, when I create a brand new "CtrlLib application with main window" and compile it, I get several errors.

Please take a look at the attached screenshot, maybe you can give me some help.

You are using gcc 4.7, right? It is the only compiler that produces this error Smile The latest stable release came out before gcc4.7 became available, so there this little bug just appeared after compiler upgrade for some people. It is very easy to fix (see this commit). Either apply the change on your installed code, or grab a package from nightly repository (they're more stable anyways Smile )

But for problem #2 ... can you show me your Build Methods? I only got gcc in there. But there has to be mingw, right?
GCC is default and most used compiler in the non-Windows world Wink It is also possible to use Clang with U++. MinGW on linux is AFAIK only good for cross-compilation to windows (but I might be wrong).

Best regards,
Honza

Re: Need help at Linux (debian) install [message #37469 is a reply to message #37459] Wed, 10 October 2012 01:45 Go to previous message
Wow, it's late... gonna be veeeery tired tomorrow.
But what can I say, except than you're great, it works!

Thank you very much, I edited the BiCont.h and now everything compiles fine, so I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks once again, this topic can be closed Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 10 October 2012 01:46]

Previous Topic: FLTK [FEATURE REQUEST]
Next Topic: Callbacks mechanism doesn't handle overloaded functions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 12:14:49 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02387 seconds