Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Compiling IML file problem
BugFixedDead.gif  Compiling IML file problem [message #3526] Wed, 31 May 2006 10:38 Go to next message
wanzi is currently offline  wanzi
Hi, I just downloaded the UPP, when trying to compile the examples, it gives error saying some thing like constant begins at new line.

So I open the file, and found that for many lines, the string didn't end with the quotation mark. Presumably due to the encoding problem, I then changed the encoding in the package orgnizer from default to window-1252.

Now I could see they were correctly quoted, but the compiler still didn't recognize it, I then copied the code from TheIDE and pasted it to a new file and changed its internal encoding to window-1252, then saved it.

Finally It compiled, but all images in the apps are corrupted, I then re-examed the warning issued from the previous build, found that because the file contained the non-ascii strings, it required that for every string i need to add _T macro for it, otherwise some info may be lost.

Since there are 2000+ lines, I wanna know if there's a way to get around it.

I am using MSVC8 professional with WinXP.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #3566 is a reply to message #3526] Thu, 01 June 2006 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
wanzi wrote on Wed, 31 May 2006 04:38

Hi, I just downloaded the UPP, when trying to compile the examples, it gives error saying some thing like constant begins at new line.

So I open the file, and found that for many lines, the string didn't end with the quotation mark. Presumably due to the encoding problem, I then changed the encoding in the package orgnizer from default to window-1252.

Now I could see they were correctly quoted, but the compiler still didn't recognize it, I then copied the code from TheIDE and pasted it to a new file and changed its internal encoding to window-1252, then saved it.

Finally It compiled, but all images in the apps are corrupted, I then re-examed the warning issued from the previous build, found that because the file contained the non-ascii strings, it required that for every string i need to add _T macro for it, otherwise some info may be lost.

Since there are 2000+ lines, I wanna know if there's a way to get around it.

I am using MSVC8 professional with WinXP.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Well, this is really strange, I have not experienced anything like this so far... Of course, if you change .iml encoding, it would lead to this kind of problem (because data there binary).

And yes, there is some strange problem with string encoding in MSC 8.0

Could you please check .iml files with some form of hex editor to see whether there are or not those '\"' at the end?

Mirek
Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #4997 is a reply to message #3566] Wed, 30 August 2006 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andywang is currently offline  andywang
Promising Member
HOST Version: XP+SP2 Chinese version, Cygwin(lastest), MSC71 and MSC80(VC 2005 Express)
UPP Version: upp-win-605.exe

MSC71 - Debug/optimize PASS, optimize for speed/size FAILED

IMAGE_BEGIN(option2)
IMAGE_SCAN("")
IMAGE_SCAN("")
IMAGE_SCAN("")
line 366 - 370
IMAGE_SCAN(" Ã\11ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377 \377ÀÀÀ ")
IMAGE_SCAN(" Ã\11\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\37 7¤¤¤\377\377\377 ")
IMAGE_SCAN("Ã\6ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377 ‚¤¤¤\1ÀÀÀ")
IMAGE_SCAN("Ã\5\377\377\377¤¤¤\377\377\377ÀÀÀ\377\377\377ƒ¤¤¤\1\377\377\377 ")
IMAGE_SCAN("Ã\1ÀÀÀ‚¤¤¤\1\377\377\377ƒ¤¤¤\2\377\377\377ÀÀÀ ")

C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib\Ctrl.iml(366) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib\Ctrl.iml(368) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib\Ctrl.iml(370) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib\Ctrl.iml(372) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib\Ctrl.iml(374) : error C2001: newline in constant

MSC80 - ALL FAILED.

----- CtrlLib ( GUI MSC8 DEBUG DEBUG_FULL BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (1 / 9)
BLITZ: LabelBase.cpp Button.cpp Switch.cpp EditField.cpp Text.cpp LineEdit.cpp DocEdit.cpp ScrollBar.cpp HeaderCtrl.cpp ArrayCtrl.cpp DropList.cpp DropP
usher.cpp DropChoice.cpp Static.cpp Splitter.cpp SliderCtrl.cpp ColumnList.cpp Progress.cpp AKeys.cpp RichTextView.cpp RichClip.cpp Prompt.cpp Help.
cpp Bar.cpp MenuBar.cpp ToolBar.cpp ToolTip.cpp StatusBar.cpp TabCtrl.cpp TreeCtrl.cpp DlgColor.cpp ColorPopup.cpp ColorPusher.cpp FileList.cpp File
Sel.cpp Windows.cpp Win32.cpp CtrlUtil.cpp Update.cpp LNGCtrl.cpp
$blitz.cpp
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (936). Save the file i
n Unicode format to prevent data loss
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml(366) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml(368) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml(370) : error C2001: newline in constant
C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/Ctrl.iml(372) : error C2001: newline in constant

MINGW - on cygwin ALL FAILED
(the path is strange, why D:\dev\cygwin\bin/c++.exe ? should be D:\dev\cygwin\bin\c++.exe.)

----- CtrlLib ( GUI GCC DEBUG DEBUG_FULL BLITZ WIN32 ) (1 / 9)
BLITZ: LabelBase.cpp Button.cpp Switch.cpp EditField.cpp Text.cpp LineEdit.cpp DocEdit.cpp ScrollBar.cpp HeaderCtrl.cpp ArrayCtrl.cpp DropList.cpp DropP
usher.cpp DropChoice.cpp Static.cpp Splitter.cpp SliderCtrl.cpp ColumnList.cpp Progress.cpp AKeys.cpp RichTextView.cpp RichClip.cpp Prompt.cpp Help.
cpp Bar.cpp MenuBar.cpp ToolBar.cpp ToolTip.cpp StatusBar.cpp TabCtrl.cpp TreeCtrl.cpp DlgColor.cpp ColorPopup.cpp ColorPusher.cpp FileList.cpp File
Sel.cpp Windows.cpp Win32.cpp CtrlUtil.cpp Update.cpp LNGCtrl.cpp
Error running process: ȷ
Command: D:\dev\cygwin\bin/c++.exe -c -I"C:\upp\examples" -I"C:\upp\uppsrc" -I"D:\dev\cygwin\include" -I"C:\upp\SDL-1.2.9\include" -DflagGUI -DflagGCC
-DflagDEBUG -DflagDEBUG_FULL -DflagBLITZ -DflagWIN32 -DbmYEAR=2006 -DbmMONTH=8 -DbmDAY=29 -DbmHOUR=22 -DbmMINUTE=36 -DbmSECOND=4 -g2 -static -D_DE
BUG -O0 "C:/upp/out/CtrlLib/MINGW.Debug_full.Gui/$blitz.cpp" -o "C:/upp/out/CtrlLib/MINGW.Debug_full.Gui/$blitz.o"CtrlLib.icpp
Error running process: ȷ
Command: D:\dev\cygwin\bin/c++.exe -c -I"C:\upp\examples" -I"C:\upp\uppsrc" -I"D:\dev\cygwin\include" -I"C:\upp\SDL-1.2.9\include" -DflagGUI -DflagGCC
-DflagDEBUG -DflagDEBUG_FULL -DflagBLITZ -DflagWIN32 -DbmYEAR=2006 -DbmMONTH=8 -DbmDAY=29 -DbmHOUR=22 -DbmMINUTE=36 -DbmSECOND=4 -g2 -static -D_DE
BUG -O0 -x c++ "C:\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib\CtrlLib.icpp" -o "C:/upp/out/CtrlLib/MINGW.Debug_full.Gui/CtrlLib.o"
There were errors. (0:00.23)

PS1. When using WinHex to edit ctrl.iml, I happen to compile it again but then It passed in (MSC71 optimized for speed/size)! That may be because the WinHex lock the file and compiler can't access it and ignore it. what is the ctrl.iml for ? if it is missing, is there any problem following?

PS2. I capture the 366-370 hex version in WinHex, and I GUESS each line that has 0xC0C0C022 will cause the problems. I will track this further.( pls. see the attchament)

Andy.
  • Attachment: test.JPG
    (Size: 353.75KB, Downloaded 1667 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 30 August 2006 05:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #4998 is a reply to message #4997] Wed, 30 August 2006 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I found :
http://averia.unm.edu/VisualCPPErrorMessages.html

Quote:

C2001: newline in constant

This error is usually caused by a string or character constant that is missing its closing ' or " symbol.

and That is because maybe in our multi-bytes system and mixed text, every byte larger than 127 may be treated as mutli-bytes(always 2-bytes) character(if it is the odd-th char in the line and the char right before it >127), so 0xC0C0C022 be treated as 0xC0C0 and 0xC022, so 0x22 (which is " ) is "lost" then VC compiler complains.

After I try add 368,370,372 a SPACE before "), these 3 lines pass. So one solution will be add an extra SPACE on each such line. Since I am brand-new to UPP, I am not sure if that is the right way.

Andy

[Updated on: Wed, 30 August 2006 05:47]

Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #4999 is a reply to message #4998] Wed, 30 August 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
andywang wrote on Tue, 29 August 2006 23:44

I found :
http://averia.unm.edu/VisualCPPErrorMessages.html

Quote:

C2001: newline in constant

This error is usually caused by a string or character constant that is missing its closing ' or " symbol.

and That is because maybe in our multi-bytes system and mixed text, every byte larger than 127 may be treated as mutli-bytes(always 2-bytes) character(if it is the odd-th char in the line and the char right before it >127), so 0xC0C0C022 be treated as 0xC0C0 and 0xC022, so 0x22 (which is " ) is "lost" then VC compiler complains.

After I try add 368,370,372 a SPACE before "), these 3 lines pass. So one solution will be add an extra SPACE on each such line. Since I am brand-new to UPP, I am not sure if that is the right way.

Andy

Hi,

yes, I have noticed this issue when working on CJK support yesterday.

Right now, I am not sure how to resolve it: Those strings are supposed to be simply accepted in "byte" form, no stupid conversions being performed.

There is #pragma setlocale("C"), which should be active (it is defs.h), but for some reason MSC seems to ignore it.

The only possible solution right now is to switch your language to something else than chinesse (e.g. with english, you should not encounter this problem).

Also, mingw works too. Errors you are reporting are unrelated to this issue. (mixing \ and / is OK). I guess your build method is not set right (I recommend downloading U++/mingw version, it contains much faster linker anyway).

Mirek
Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #5000 is a reply to message #4999] Wed, 30 August 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, I have got an idea:

Maybe the

#pragma setlocale("C")

scope is just for the file it is in (so the definition inside defs.h is not used in .iml).

Could you please test it and try to put it at the beginning of the .iml file? If that works, I would alter .iml designer (and .t designer) to include it....

Mirek
Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #5027 is a reply to message #5000] Thu, 31 August 2006 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Thanks for you reply.

Things Getting more closer Smile
VC71 optimize for speed/size passed!
but VC8 Express still failed!(that maybe M$'s bug?)

(later: I found in MSDN, M$ says it will be fixed in next release. so your solution will be ok on VC8-though not test yet-. )
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B 912790

Andy

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2006 03:26]

Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #5039 is a reply to message #5027] Thu, 31 August 2006 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Have you tried the hotfix?

When reporting success with MSC7.1, is it with the #pragma at every .iml file, right? (In other words, should I add the pragma to the .iml save routine?).

Mirek
Re: Compiling IML file problem [message #5041 is a reply to message #5039] Thu, 31 August 2006 21:53 Go to previous message
Promising Member
No, I didn't apply the hostfix. The link leads me to the M$ support contact page not downloading. I also google but can't find where to download.

In VC71, I just patch the ctrl.iml only and no other files. (maybe only this file occurs this problem). But for safe I think any .iml file added the protecting line would be a good idea.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2006 21:57]

Previous Topic: Does any one compile successfully on cygwin?
Next Topic: demo package name "y1" can't compile?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 13:15:17 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04891 seconds