Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories?
Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4596] Wed, 16 August 2006 09:15 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories?
Shell I switch completely to uvs2 (I've been using subversion)?
How many working versions of uppsrc etc. and ide do you keep and how do you organize directories and updates?
Because I'm constantly losing track on changes and delete some important pieces...

I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4598 is a reply to message #4596] Wed, 16 August 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I keep only the actual version Smile But that is me (I can fix all problems in the moment I encounter them).

OK, we have created upp605 repository with frozen 605 sources (without new Image), I believe Tom still uses this repository.

I guess for U++ users, it would make sense to keep 3 uppsrc version:

- latest "stable" (605)
- latest "known to work" (compiles your apps and runs without known trouble)
- latest

And perhaps two theide.exe - I would appreciate if anybody interested in latest sources always compiled new ide as soon as possible and used it (to find bugs soon).

Mirek
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4603 is a reply to message #4596] Wed, 16 August 2006 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Up to now I have used two different versions: upp605 and upp_dev.
I named the top level directories after these versions and added their assemblies to theIDE using appropriate suffix for each assembly.
So, I end up having 'examples', 'Common', 'reference' and 'uppsrc' assemblies for upp605 and 'examples_dev' etc. for development version. The paths are all consistent within one version, e.g. 'examples' refers to 'uppsrc' whereas 'examples_dev' refers to 'uppsrc_dev'.
I plan using a third version from UVS2.

Matthias
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4605 is a reply to message #4603] Wed, 16 August 2006 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
index.php?t=getfile&id=204&private=0
masu wrote on Wed, 16 August 2006 13:05

Up to now I have used two different versions: upp605 and upp_dev.
I named the top level directories after these versions and added their assemblies to theIDE using appropriate suffix for each assembly.
So, I end up having 'examples', 'Common', 'reference' and 'uppsrc' assemblies for upp605 and 'examples_dev' etc. for development version. The paths are all consistent within one version, e.g. 'examples' refers to 'uppsrc' whereas 'examples_dev' refers to 'uppsrc_dev'.
I plan using a third version from UVS2.

Matthias

suffixes is one more big that problem I've encountered...
How do you duplicate (or triplicate) your packages and do all the renames? (Including all the includes)

here is my "main" originally installed upp dir "D:\Devel_upp":
It holds some subdirs (which I always don't want to update because that breaks all my improvements... (one latest big loss -my theIDE icons which I had CtrlLib.iml or how was it called) Smile) and several ide?*.exe which time to time I copy from E:\out dirs
Then, I have more working and developement dirs in E:\*****
Matthias's style... some of which I sometimes sync from uvs
and some regularly from subversion.

Wouldn't be better to have working dirs:
D:\Devel_upp_605
=== cfg
=== uppsrc
=== examples
=== etc...
=== theide.exe
D:\Devel_upp_alive
=== cfg
=== uppsrc
=== examples
=== etc...
=== theide.exe
D:\Devel_upp_Mirek_dev
=== cfg
=== uppsrc
=== examples
=== etc...
=== theide.exe
D:\Devel_upp_Aris_dev
=== cfg
=== uppsrc
=== examples
=== etc...
=== theide.exe

Then the question how to organize archieves and sync all this?
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4607 is a reply to message #4605] Wed, 16 August 2006 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
I have my own packages and test packages in a directory not related to all the upp directories, i.e. ~/projects/upp. I added this directory as an assembly to the main package selection dialog. I edit the paths for this assembly concerning upp dirs (package nests, output, common files root) to build against a specific upp version.
Nothing has to be changed on includes or the like in my sources.
The result is a single project dir with several output dirs inside upp version dirs that contain the applications built. Of course I have to change the dir specs every time I want to build against another version, but this could be easily omitted if I define assemblies pointing to the same project dir but having the upp paths adapted to the other versions.

Matthias
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4608 is a reply to message #4607] Wed, 16 August 2006 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
masu wrote on Wed, 16 August 2006 16:05

I have my own packages and test packages in a directory not related to all the upp directories, i.e. ~/projects/upp. I added this directory as an assembly to the main package selection dialog. I edit the paths for this assembly concerning upp dirs (package nests, output, common files root) to build against a specific upp version.

Matthias

Smile this was the first reason why I started experimenting with my own ide... That editing is very incovenient and waste of time... And this way I lose track with other compiled static libs, working apps, data files etc...
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4609 is a reply to message #4598] Wed, 16 August 2006 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbmatt is currently offline  rbmatt

luzr wrote on Wed, 16 August 2006 04:10

And perhaps two theide.exe - I would appreciate if anybody interested in latest sources always compiled new ide as soon as possible and used it (to find bugs soon).

I'm running 608.r20
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4610 is a reply to message #4608] Wed, 16 August 2006 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
And, if you have read:
http://www.arilect.com/upp/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=33 24&&srch=duplicate#msg_3324
I even made a compound name (but with preffixes) generator for templates which I wanted to use like a kind of exporter-duplicator...

Also, other software uses suffixes for directories which I find very useful e.g agg-2.4... should be that introduced into U++?
To recognize which packages belong to which version? That whould improve principle "Everything belongs somewhere" to "Everything belongs where it must belong" ... Smile
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4618 is a reply to message #4610] Thu, 17 August 2006 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Mirek and others, do you also use Matthias' method?
Re: Several versions of upp: the best structure of Upp directories? [message #4619 is a reply to message #4618] Thu, 17 August 2006 05:55 Go to previous message
rbmatt is currently offline  rbmatt

I have:
-theide.exe 605 in c:\upp
-uppsrc 605 in c:\upp\uppsrc
-theide.exe latest UVS in c:\
-uppsrc latest UVS in c:\uppsrc
-All my apps and libraries in c:\MyApps
UVS syncs c:\uppsrc
I have assemblies that point to either uppsrc.
Previous Topic: error compiling latest uvs2 ide
Next Topic: fatal error C1001-VC++ Toolkit 2003 on Windows XP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:34:29 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01632 seconds