Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Bit of bussines and money....
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6304 is a reply to message #6201] Mon, 06 November 2006 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeohhs
Ads in splash screen and about box is fine with me. Smile

Best Regards,
Yeoh
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6305 is a reply to message #6201] Mon, 06 November 2006 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeohhs
luzr wrote on Thu, 02 November 2006 22:13

Distant future plans, not very high level of probability:

* U++ consulting

IMHO, you should seriously consider U++ consulting and training as soon as possible. Although more time consuming, this is where the money is and it is also a very good way to promote U++.

Technologies such as webinars, podcasts, etc. make online consulting and training feasible. Smile

Best Regards,
Yeoh

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2006 05:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6328 is a reply to message #6305] Mon, 06 November 2006 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
yeohhs wrote on Mon, 06 November 2006 04:44

Technologies such as webinars, podcasts, etc. make online consulting and training feasible. Smile

Great point! If anyone here has is on any of the SANS-bites security mailing lists, there are webinars and such advertising hands-on training every couple of weeks. Seems to work well for them!

Such an approach might indeed be suitable for UPP.
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6355 is a reply to message #6328] Wed, 08 November 2006 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobilehunter is currently offline  mobilehunter
Getting money is good thing.
How about do feature's based donation, may be sound silly.
My idea is, you have a list of features and ask the community which feature that they wish to come true, by putting some donation for certain period. Then we can start with feature with highest donation.

For example,
For januari 2007 we will have these features:
a. feature a
b. feature b
c. feature c

You can ask people to donate for the feature they like to be included in next release.

That's all
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6362 is a reply to message #6355] Thu, 09 November 2006 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mobilehunter wrote on Wed, 08 November 2006 17:40

Getting money is good thing.
How about do feature's based donation, may be sound silly.

Not silly at all, quite standard in open-source projects I guess.

I have no final opinion on this...

Edit (2 minutes later): I start to like it Wink Just not sure what to propose...

In any case, we can incorporate this to the donations system. Voting by money Wink

OK, I see feature list for past 2007.1 development like this:

- TheIDE improvements
- MacOS X support
- Widgets enhancements

Any other ideas?

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 09 November 2006 20:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6375 is a reply to message #6362] Thu, 09 November 2006 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Fri, 10 November 2006 04:21

Edit (2 minutes later): I start to like it Wink Just not sure what to propose...

In any case, we can incorporate this to the donations system. Voting by money Wink

- TheIDE improvements
- MacOS X support
- Widgets enhancements

MacOsX support is great, when i told to my friend about Ultimate++, his question was, "can it run under MacOsX?"
I said not in current version, then he said "hmm not this time"
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6376 is a reply to message #6362] Fri, 10 November 2006 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
luzr wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 19:21

I was thinking about this a while ago, about how such a project would get donations. Seems like a good idea. You could call it a support table and have poll-like progress bars for relative competition and get imaginative (and of course, invite suggestions).
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6378 is a reply to message #6376] Fri, 10 November 2006 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
exolon wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 18:05

luzr wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 19:21

I was thinking about this a while ago, about how such a project would get donations. Seems like a good idea. You could call it a support table and have poll-like progress bars for relative competition and get imaginative (and of course, invite suggestions).

Well, the only possible problem I see is that it could steer U++ in wrong direction - e.g. I think OS X is absolute must ASAP... In any case, I believe that it should be considered as "hint" rather than firm development plan...

And there is should also be the "poll reset" sort of event...

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6380 is a reply to message #6378] Fri, 10 November 2006 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Fri, 10 November 2006 08:18

Well, the only possible problem I see is that it could steer U++ in wrong direction - e.g. I think OS X is absolute must ASAP... In any case, I believe that it should be considered as "hint" rather than firm development plan...

And there is should also be the "poll reset" sort of event...

Mirek

I see, it's possible for Ultimate ++ goes to wrong direction.
May be we can separate into two development paths if possible, the first path is main milestone of Ultimate++, maybe you can describe the main feature that will be developed and the second path is some features that Ultimate++'s users like to have for their need but will be benefit to others.

Both path can be voted by donation, but the first path will have higher priority.

Reza
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6425 is a reply to message #6380] Sun, 12 November 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK the first attempt at "funding U++" page:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb2$Funding$en-us.html

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6434 is a reply to message #6362] Sun, 12 November 2006 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
luzr wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 20:21

- TheIDE improvements
- MacOS X support
- Widgets enhancements

Any other ideas?

Mirek

Version control integration for theIDE ?
I would suggest Subversion (or an improved uvs2 Wink).

Matthias
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6436 is a reply to message #6362] Sun, 12 November 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Quote:

Any other ideas?

SOAP (web service) support, at least the client side, would be very benefical if the enterprise level is the target.
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6477 is a reply to message #6201] Tue, 14 November 2006 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dudymas is currently offline  dudymas
Promising Member
Hey, Mirek! I have no problem with such ideas. Seems like these days everything starts to cost more money. You deserve something back for what you've been able to develop here.

Also, it's almost tempting to see if I could win the ebay auction and put something silly like "Real programmers use a magnet and a sheet of paper to compile their code onto a hard drive" or something like that down as the advertisement.
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6479 is a reply to message #6477] Tue, 14 November 2006 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
The plan has changed, but only a little - no ebay this time, bids are placed by email.

See

http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb2$Funding$en-us.html

Mirek
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6670 is a reply to message #6436] Wed, 22 November 2006 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cioannou is currently offline  cioannou
zsolt wrote on Sun, 12 November 2006 22:05

Quote:

Any other ideas?

SOAP (web service) support, at least the client side, would be very benefical if the enterprise level is the target.

http://www.arilect.com/upp/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1691 &start=0&

An Idea that I strongly believe that would give a great push to U++ and it's something that only one tool in the market has.

Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #7389 is a reply to message #6201] Tue, 26 December 2006 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Training and Consulting is a great idea. Try to work off donations and advertising for a few more releases and set a plan for training and consulting (will you travel, or use a webex like interface, etc). I think there is a HUGE market for a good cross-platform C++ full development environment; U++ looks to me to have the most potential.

Keep the licensing the same and I think you will get big business in training, consulting, and support packages (priority support for a fee, possibly phone support, guaranteed response within certain time frame, etc). I know I would push my company to have someone from your team provide some training on using the tool and also on the nuances of cross-platform development.

The only thing I would worry about as an enterprise developer at this stage though is project shut down, though the open nature of the project provides relief in that area. This worry will undoubtedly diminish as the project progresses.
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #7510 is a reply to message #6209] Wed, 03 January 2007 10:46 Go to previous message
slashmais is currently offline  slashmais
Promising Member
Hi Mirek,
First, many thanks for a really outstanding tool.

Second: re enterprise tools:
1. Project management support: e.g. links with planner,
reporting tools;
2. Team support: e.g. code sharing/re-use repository;
3. CVS (or other version control) support;
4. Testing & QA support
5. Direct link to professional support for UPP
(*most important - managers want the security of telling
someone else to fix there problems)

Regards
Previous Topic: WTL wiki
Next Topic: Improving Ultimate++'s Fame