Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » XP installation problem
XP installation problem [message #6486] Tue, 14 November 2006 05:21 Go to next message
tomasso is currently offline  tomasso
Promising Member
It appears that no matter which version/type of install I choose for XP, they all end up with the same error message:

Unable to write output file(s)

Is there a way to do a trace/logged installation so that I may find out what's causing the problem?
Re: XP installation problem [message #6493 is a reply to message #6486] Tue, 14 November 2006 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Which U++ version?

What is your XP settings? Do you have permission to write to the requested directory?

Mirek
Re: XP installation problem [message #6501 is a reply to message #6493] Wed, 15 November 2006 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
do you mean Windows XP?I used U++ in XP several months and tried several versions without any installation problem.
Re: XP installation problem [message #6503 is a reply to message #6493] Wed, 15 November 2006 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I tried the following versions of U++ (both the mingw and non-mingw versions for XP):
611-dev2
611-dev1
610-dev4

As for XP rights, the account is a full admin on the machine.

Re: XP installation problem [message #6504 is a reply to message #6486] Wed, 15 November 2006 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
tomasso wrote on Tue, 14 November 2006 05:21

It appears that no matter which version/type of install I choose for XP, they all end up with the same error message:

Unable to write output file(s)

Is there a way to do a trace/logged installation so that I may find out what's causing the problem?

Hello,

I've never met problem during the installation.
Have you tried with the default installation directory?
Luigi
Re: XP installation problem [message #6505 is a reply to message #6504] Wed, 15 November 2006 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
yep -- tried to c:\upp and c:\upp-install and all sorts of variations

FWIW, I just tried the 511 build (both mingw and standalone versions) and it installed without any problems

My guess is the newer versions are trying to write over a file not in the install directory that is in use by another application or marked read-only, etc. I'm just not sure how to find this out
Re: XP installation problem [message #6507 is a reply to message #6505] Wed, 15 November 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
This is really weird. There was a change of installer in 605 version - we have changed the compression from bz2 to 7zip.
But you list 602 as problematic as well - that one used bz2 - you can easily see that by the size...

I am not sure whether this can help, but the code responsible for the problem looks like this:

String fn = AppendFileName(outdir, f->Name);
			FileAppend f(fn);
			f.Put(outBuffer + offset, outSizeProcessed);
			if(f.IsError())
				Error("Unable to write output file(s)");

Mirek
Re: XP installation problem [message #6508 is a reply to message #6507] Wed, 15 November 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
BTW, if you completely remove the installation directory first and then run installer:

- is directory itself created?

- if yes, is something written to it?

before stopping on that error...

Mirek
Re: XP installation problem [message #6547 is a reply to message #6508] Fri, 17 November 2006 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I ran the install for UPP 605 for Windows (without Mingw); when the error came up, I grabbed a dump of the install directory, attached below.

Re: XP installation problem [message #6549 is a reply to message #6547] Fri, 17 November 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, this looks like it stops in the middle of saving files...

Is not it something stupid like low space on HD? (U++ needs about 80MB to install).

Mirek
Re: XP installation problem [message #6550 is a reply to message #6549] Fri, 17 November 2006 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Hm, another idea, perhaps there is filename with characters non representable in your current regional settings - what are these?

Mirek
Re: XP installation problem [SOLVED] [message #6747 is a reply to message #6486] Sun, 26 November 2006 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
This is on XP and it's quite strange -- it turns out that McAfee is preventing files with the extension "t" from being created.

So the solution was to temporarily disable McAfee and install U++.
Re: XP installation problem [SOLVED] [message #6749 is a reply to message #6747] Sun, 26 November 2006 07:33 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Glad to hear we are innocent (this time Smile

Mirek
Previous Topic: Problem compiling upp-src-605.zip
Next Topic: UppLocal persistence problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:56:35 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01316 seconds