FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What would give a great push to Upp
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6737 is a reply to message #6736] Sat, 25 November 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Yes.

Originally I thought that we will have just 2-3 Linux Look themes realized using "detect and recreate" system. Then I decided that recreating themes is too much tedious work and that we would end using "native" theming instead (using GTK to draw widgets). That caused the delay.

Also, 2007.x seems to be more flexible naming scheme.

Mirek
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6738 is a reply to message #6733] Sat, 25 November 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeohhs
luzr wrote on Sat, 25 November 2006 14:51

Well, everything is possible...

Anyway, to get back to the earth, I think MacOS support is the priority now (with some luck, PocketPC could be part of 2007.1).

Mirek

Yes. Smile

Best Regards,
Yeoh

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #6744 is a reply to message #6737] Sun, 26 November 2006 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sat, 25 November 2006 10:18

Yes.

Originally I thought that we will have just 2-3 Linux Look themes realized using "detect and recreate" system. Then I decided that recreating themes is too much tedious work and that we would end using "native" theming instead (using GTK to draw widgets). That caused the delay.

Also, 2007.x seems to be more flexible naming scheme.

Mirek

2007.1 is before spring festival.nice!
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #19516 is a reply to message #6744] Wed, 10 December 2008 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cioannou is currently offline  cioannou
Accept my apologies for reviving an old topic.

Every now and then I am looking for cross-platform Powerbuilder alternatives for "Business Apps Development" and I always come across tools and/or languages that are more "generic" and "open".

Most of those tools are too "verbose" and too geeky for business applications like Accounting, Invoicing, Warehouse etc.

So I would like to express once more that there is a huge gap in this field, thus many people turn to .Net and other accompanying frameworks/controls that mostly offer good looks and ready made functionality that speeds up development time.
Many people couldn't care less how a 'TextBox' is implented, we just want to Get/Set text, font, size, style etc. in an easy and quick way. Same with Data forms or tables, noone cares how the 'update' is implemented behind the scenes, a simple object.update() is sufficient for the 99%.

Since U++ is greatly focusing on less time and code needed to implement a project, I feel like sharing a few thoughts.

Here is a short list of what the majority of people like me are looking for (in no particular order):

1) Good looking apps
2) Data Visualization controls for Quick and easy data handling in forms, grids, reports.
Things like, sort, filter, search, column moving, grouping, report design etc. etc.
3) Ability to use external libraries (like DLLs) for special stuff, e.g. encryption
4) re-usable forms, windows, controls
5) Exporting/Printing to various types Excel, PDF etc.
6) Auto resizing & docking of controls and windows.
7) Transactions support
Cool SQL SQL SQL
9) Stored procedures support
10) Easy string, date, manipulation
11) Easy filesystem handling
12) Easy networking stuff (ftp, smtp, http) etc.
13) XML support
14) Auto complete
etc. etc.

I strongly believe that this would greatly improve U++ popularity even though it uses the scary for many C++.

It just seems to me that U++ is closer than anything I have seen until now to generic & still time effective philosophy, I feel that U++ has the potential to stand next to anything like .Net, Powerbuilder and the likes as long as it provides the "Widgets for Dummies" or "The tools for non-geeks" if you prefer.
Either we like it or not, many people out there are VS addicts and you just can't make them get rid of some of their habits.
For example, "double-click" a control and code an event.

And last but not least, all these don't have to be FREE, actually there are many GPLed projects out there that offer additional modules or functionality for a price.

I wish I had the words to convince people that the vast majority of all these hardcore guys who want to build the next "Firefox","Apache","Unreal Tournament","MySQL" or "Get your DIY satellite to orbit" already have billions of alternatives to use, business developers don't.

Please do not consider this a flame post or anything like it.

Thank you very much.
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #19517 is a reply to message #19516] Wed, 10 December 2008 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cioannou wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 07:48

Since U++ is greatly focusing on less time and code needed to implement a project, I feel like sharing a few thoughts.

Here is a short list of what the majority of people like me are looking for (in no particular order):

1) Good looking apps
2) Data Visualization controls for Quick and easy data handling in forms, grids, reports.
Things like, sort, filter, search, column moving, grouping, report design etc. etc.
3) Ability to use external libraries (like DLLs) for special stuff, e.g. encryption
7) Transactions support
Cool SQL SQL SQL
13) XML support
14) Auto complete
etc. etc.

I strongly believe that this would greatly improve U++ popularity even though it uses the scary for many C++.

Uhm, I believed we have most of them finished (?).

Quote:

I wish I had the words to convince people that the vast majority of all these hardcore guys who want to build the next "Firefox","Apache","Unreal Tournament","MySQL" or "Get your DIY satellite to orbit" already have billions of alternatives to use, business developers don't.

U++ is by/for hardcore guys doing business development Smile

Quote:

Please do not consider this a flame post or anything like it.

You are welcome.

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 10 December 2008 15:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #19520 is a reply to message #19516] Wed, 10 December 2008 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

Quote:

1) Good looking apps
7) Transactions support
Cool SQL SQL SQL
13) XML support
14) Auto complete
etc. etc.

It just seems to me that U++ is closer than anything I have seen until now to generic & still time effective philosophy, I feel that U++ has the potential to stand next to anything like .Net, Powerbuilder and the likes as long as it provides the "Widgets for Dummies" or "The tools for non-geeks" if you prefer.
Either we like it or not, many people out there are VS addicts and you just can't make them get rid of some of their habits.
For example, "double-click" a control and code an event.

And last but not least, all these don't have to be FREE, actually there are many GPLed projects out there that offer additional modules or functionality for a price.

I also thought a similar manner, but over time I began to understand how to develop leaders U + + are doing.

First, I sorrow for the absence of an abundance of modules and plugins 3D-Party developers.

But then even accustomed to the fact that you can simply open the source code for all modules and learn how to operate different things.

And this was much more valuable.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: What would give a great push to Upp [message #19529 is a reply to message #19516] Thu, 11 December 2008 22:39 Go to previous message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Currently, Im making a business app, using Upp.
I can acknowledge, that Upp is much more powerful in doing this job, than e.g. Delphi.
Previous Topic: Open Question: How did you learn C++?
Next Topic: Cool!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:12:20 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01106 seconds