Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Smart tips [FEATURE REQUEST]
icon3.gif  Smart tips [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #7789] Mon, 22 January 2007 23:25 Go to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I've always hated tips on startup, which are boring and pretty useless.
But, what about popping up tips at the right moment, right when they are needed (and prior a noob starts makin' mistakes)? This is an effective way to avoid redundant answers on the forum.

I suggest some gotchas to tackle:

a) When start a first time compiling, explain slowliness
b) When someone use a custom layout class, u++ should remember him to put class declaration before layout include

c) Vector<int> a,b;
b.Add(5)
a = b;
remember: [Beware! You are about to 'castrate' b!]

I like U++, but it must start to really help the noobs (which in the long term is always a good investment)

Ciao,
David
Re: Smart tips [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #7800 is a reply to message #7789] Tue, 23 January 2007 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

waxblood wrote on Mon, 22 January 2007 17:25

I've always hated tips on startup, which are boring and pretty useless.

Exactely.
Quote:

But, what about popping up tips at the right moment, right when they are needed (and prior a noob starts makin' mistakes)? This is an effective way to avoid redundant answers on the forum.

I suggest some gotchas to tackle:

a) When start a first time compiling, explain slowliness

This one is possible, but do we really need it? I have never seen tip like this anywhere.
Quote:

c) Vector<int> a,b;
b.Add(5)
a = b;
remember: [Beware! You are about to 'castrate' b!]

That one will make assist++ very very complicated. I think it is not possible.
Quote:

I like U++, but it must start to really help the noobs (which in the long term is always a good investment)

IMO noobs should first read a tutorial, a little bit of documentation and then start to code - this is the way. But if they are lazy the better solution than tips are video tutorials.

Re: Smart tips [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #7805 is a reply to message #7800] Tue, 23 January 2007 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
Quote:

IMO noobs should first read a tutorial, a little bit of documentation and then start to code - this is the way.

It's just I like the idea of giving information rightly when it's needed, which is IMO the best way to learn things (although many things still require reading heavy manuals Crying or Very Sad )

It's nothing more than the compiler's warnings, which I'm sure you feel useful.

Quote:

a little bit of documentation

And what about the gotchas in the rest of documentation they haven't read yet?

Eclipse won a lot of consensus just for it's ability to check trivial errors, detect bad practices and for providing lots of useful information on each object on the screen.

The community is one of the greates strength of a project. Maybe we should provide an even more attractive warm enviroment to catch noobs scared by
Ultimate++ Overview Summary:
Quote:

But be careful there: you should be prepared to throw away some old habits and usual ways of thinking about how "things are always done"

Ciao,
David
Re: Smart tips [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #7807 is a reply to message #7789] Tue, 23 January 2007 13:16 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sounds right, but I am afraid you are really overestimating our development resources Smile

Anyway, it would be nice if FAQ is extended by such items.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Trailing spaces, upper/lower case etc.
Next Topic: B605-dev1: Assist++: Incorrect evaluation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:04:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02455 seconds