Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » theide and Puppy-linux
icon14.gif  theide and Puppy-linux [message #8502] Wed, 14 March 2007 15:30 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I succesed in compiling theide under Puppy linux.
I edited a bit the existing makefile in the ide folder 2007.1.rc3 that is set for a static link.
It was necessary to use the flagNOGTK to remove the complains of the compiler (BTW in /Draw/DrawX11.cpp there is a #ifndef NOGTK that I turned in #ifndef flagNOGTK for consistency and avoid error). The output is redirect inside the /ide/ folder itself.
The makefile is attached and I guess should be useful for other linux distros. The executable is 5945 KB while my previous ide 612dev was 6900KB.

Now when I run theide it says "upp directory not found"
So please tell me where theide should stay and/or how to organise the folders in order to let theide to work.

If I have success even in this I'll try to create a package, ultimate.pup, for this very interisting and fast distro.

Luigi

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2007 15:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8503 is a reply to message #8502] Wed, 14 March 2007 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Hi Luigi,

you must have upp tree under one of the following dirs:

~/upp
/usr/local/share/upp
/usr/X11R6/share/upp
/usr/local/lib/upp
/usr/local/bin/upp
/usr/share/upp
/usr/lib/upp
/usr/bin/upp

Good luck.

Matthias
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8506 is a reply to message #8503] Wed, 14 March 2007 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
masu wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 15:45

Hi Luigi,

you must have upp tree under one of the following dirs:

~/upp
/usr/local/share/upp
/usr/X11R6/share/upp
/usr/local/lib/upp
/usr/local/bin/upp
/usr/share/upp
/usr/lib/upp
/usr/bin/upp

Good luck.

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

it doesn't work: "upp directory not found". I've the upp folder and inside it there are theide and the usual folders uppsrc, Common, atec... I moved the upp in different place with no success (upp was already in ~ of root).
Have you another suggestion?
Perhaps this behavious is due to this new file system that I do not know?
Luigi
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8507 is a reply to message #8506] Wed, 14 March 2007 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, there also must be a build method called GCC.bm inside upp folder.

Matthias
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8508 is a reply to message #8507] Wed, 14 March 2007 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
masu wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 17:03

Sorry, there also must be a build method called GCC.bm inside upp folder.

Matthias

Yes, I remind it was present in my other distro.
But now it is absent Rolling Eyes
What is it and how to go further?
Luigi
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8509 is a reply to message #8508] Wed, 14 March 2007 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To start theIDE it is sufficient to copy the GCC.bm file from your other distro to the new one.
But of course you have to modify the contents afterwards inside theIDE to match your environment.

Matthias
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8511 is a reply to message #8509] Wed, 14 March 2007 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
masu wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 17:23

To start theIDE it is sufficient to copy the GCC.bm file from your other distro to the new one.
But of course you have to modify the contents afterwards inside theIDE to match your environment.

Matthias

I copied an old GCC.bm in the folder of theide and it works! Very Happy
The canonical Helloworld compiled too. Only one note: I used the option -DflagNOGTK in Ctrl and Draw to compile it. Perhaps the gtk is not installed (at the moment I cannot investigate).

So I've a working Upp linux distro in 1GB pendrive Cool that I can use everywhere... almost everywhere Smile

Thanks,
Luigi

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2007 21:12]

Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8512 is a reply to message #8511] Wed, 14 March 2007 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member

You can try running the following command from a terminal window:

pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0

If that return a "no package found error" then you need to install gtk+-2.0+. On the other hand, if it gives you something reasonable then add the next few lines to the makefile:

CINC = -I$(UPPDIR1) \
$(shell pkg-config --cflags libpng gtk+-2.0 xft x11)
LIBS = $(shell pkg-config --libs libpng gtk+-2.0 xft x11)

Then you will need to remove the hard coded liked libs from the final link stage (just look for -lX11, and similar). Replace all of these with ${LIBS}. That hopefully will do it. Oh, remember to remove the -DflagNOGTK...

EBo --
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8516 is a reply to message #8502] Thu, 15 March 2007 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulti is currently offline  Ulti
Experienced Member
why not release it as a distribution on sf Smile
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8517 is a reply to message #8502] Thu, 15 March 2007 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
Or make it into a torrent? Smile
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8522 is a reply to message #8512] Thu, 15 March 2007 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
ebojd wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 21:24

You can try running the following command from a terminal window:

pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0

If that return a "no package found error" then you need to install gtk+-2.0+. On the other hand, if it gives you something reasonable then add the next few lines to the makefile:

CINC = -I$(UPPDIR1) \
$(shell pkg-config --cflags libpng gtk+-2.0 xft x11)
LIBS = $(shell pkg-config --libs libpng gtk+-2.0 xft x11)

Then you will need to remove the hard coded liked libs from the final link stage (just look for -lX11, and similar). Replace all of these with ${LIBS}. That hopefully will do it. Oh, remember to remove the -DflagNOGTK...

EBo --

GTK is installed:
>> pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0
-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include 

I tried to compile some package with the gtk enabled but I got many error. Anyway I'm satisfied with the current ide gtk independent. From it one can do what he wants.

Next step is realise a new developer distro C++ plus U++ that can boot from a CD-ROM. It should be about 200 MB. But maybe a simply U++ package should be enough (just unzip it in /root folder and go).

Are there interested people in this forum that want to try? Please consider that it will be not done immediately... I need time to understand how to realize the whole distro.

Luigi
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8528 is a reply to message #8522] Thu, 15 March 2007 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hmmm...

Attached is my modified makefile. If you are willing, please use it for a real test. If it dies, please reply with an attachment of error messages. I'll see if I can spot something obvious.

re: assistance with distro.

Sounds interesting, but I am afraid that I am already up to my keaster with aligators, so it will be a little while before I could devote any real time to this. On the other hand I am working to becomming an official Gentoo developer. If that works out I may be willing to set up a gentoo based mini distro in addition to the U++ portage ebuild I plan to support. We can talk about that in a month or so (after I expect to finish the gentoo-developer apprentiship/eval period).

EBo --

edit: added Makefile
  • Attachment: Makefile
    (Size: 881.58KB, Downloaded 380 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 15 March 2007 19:05]

Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8538 is a reply to message #8528] Fri, 16 March 2007 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
ebojd wrote on Thu, 15 March 2007 19:00

Hmmm...

Attached is my modified makefile. If you are willing, please use it for a real test. If it dies, please reply with an attachment of error messages. I'll see if I can spot something obvious.

EBo,

your makefile works great. It compiled theide without problems
Now theide is gtkped and I'll use it in this form although I do not like it (the original look I think is much better).
In future I'll ask how to compile other packages with theide and GTK enabled.
Now please let me ask you further assistance in completing the installation procedure and realize an upp.pet package (equivalent to upp.deb for Debian).
In order to produce it I need to run a command like this:
# new2dir make install

what "new2dir" does we do not need to know (and I do not know). What it is important is the "make install". You provvide such task in the makefile but is not complete. In fact neither theide nor the GCC.bm are copied in /usr/share/upp. Can you put some more lines to include the additional tasks? (If I'm right there is nothing to add to the existing). My GCC.bm file stays in ~/upp/, that is ../../ with respect the Makefie. It is the following
BUILDER = "GCC";
DEBUG_INFO = "0";
DEBUG_BLITZ = "1";
DEBUG_LINKMODE = "1";
DEBUG_OPTIONS = "-O0";
RELEASE_BLITZ = "0";
RELEASE_LINKMODE = "1";
RELEASE_OPTIONS = "-O3 -ffunction-sections";
DEBUGGER = "gdb";
PATH = "";
INCLUDE = "/usr/include/freetype2";
LIB = "/usr/X11R6/lib";
REMOTE_HOST = "";
REMOTE_OS = "";
REMOTE_TRANSFER = "";
REMOTE_MAP = "";

I do not know if it OK for our current setting because I got it from an old version. After this task I can generate a upp.pet package and make it available in the next days.
Thanks a lot,
Luigi
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8540 is a reply to message #8538] Fri, 16 March 2007 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thanks for the info, and I am glad it worked for you...

I will be glad to assist as my time allows, but please know that we just had another grant come in and I have a new pile of work to do on top of what I am already doing, so I'm as busy as a one-armed wall-paper hanger in a paper-hanging contest! The really good news is I have a job for another year (Hurray!) Wink

We will need to resolve the GCC.bm issue so that the build process either creates it, or it is added to the source tree. It is not a good idea to have such problems in my not so humble opinion. This should probably be fixed in the actual 2007.1 release.

Also, we have discussed on another forum fixing the gtk+ pkg-config integration into U++. It is actually going to require an enhancement that has some profound computer security and andministration implications. So, this will not be done for 2007.1, and will require some debate and extensive testing. At least that is my understanding and opinion.

EBo --
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8543 is a reply to message #8540] Fri, 16 March 2007 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
ebojd wrote on Fri, 16 March 2007 16:44

Thanks for the info, and I am glad it worked for you...

I will be glad to assist as my time allows, but please know that we just had another grant come in and I have a new pile of work to do on top of what I am already doing, so I'm as busy as a one-armed wall-paper hanger in a paper-hanging contest! The really good news is I have a job for another year (Hurray!) Wink

We will need to resolve the GCC.bm issue so that the build process either creates it, or it is added to the source tree. It is not a good idea to have such problems in my not so humble opinion. This should probably be fixed in the actual 2007.1 release.

Also, we have discussed on another forum fixing the gtk+ pkg-config integration into U++. It is actually going to require an enhancement that has some profound computer security and andministration implications. So, this will not be done for 2007.1, and will require some debate and extensive testing. At least that is my understanding and opinion.

EBo --

I'm glad you got the above good news. That's really important.
Please take all the time you need. I'll continue with the test and experience with Puppy.

Luigi
Re: theide and Puppy-linux [message #8553 is a reply to message #8543] Fri, 16 March 2007 22:56 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Thanks, and best of luck!

EBo --
Previous Topic: Where are upt files gone on 2007.1beta3 deb?
Next Topic: segfault while starting theide
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:49:03 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01546 seconds