FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Removing MinGW from dev.releases
Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9879] Wed, 06 June 2007 08:40 Go to next message
azar is currently offline  azar
Hi all!

Is it possible to remove MinGW distribution from
development U++ releases?

There are 3 reasons for that:
- users of dev.releases in many cases have MinGW already
installed;
- the size of release decreases (always good);
- if installation of MinGW already exists (for example,
in C:\MinGW directory),then using of "internal" U++ MinGW
can cause linker errors. (checked with upp-mingw-705-dev.3)

Alex Zar
Rolling Eyes
Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9880 is a reply to message #9879] Wed, 06 June 2007 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
THis is indeed interesting - I would like to know why... Perhaps wrong build method setup?
Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9886 is a reply to message #9879] Wed, 06 June 2007 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
I have been chatting up U++/MinGW for people who have straight out-of-the-box WinXP computers and need a simple C/C++compiler and a simple GUI tool. Pre packaged is a godsend for them. There is already a version on the download page which does not come with MinGW preinstalled. Did you try to install that instead of the non-integrated one?

EBo --
icon8.gif  Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9887 is a reply to message #9879] Wed, 06 June 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
azar is currently offline  azar
I think that people, which download DEVELOPMENT (not stable)
releases not need such "godsends". They really need to save
time and (sometimes) inet traffic.
In addition, the MinGW insallation is very easy.
Just download installer and run it once.

Isn't it?

Alex
Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9888 is a reply to message #9887] Wed, 06 June 2007 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

There is no problem to me to release installer without mingw. I'll put two spearate installation files on sf.net next time.

PS. I was also thinking about one installer with selecting components menu.
Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9894 is a reply to message #9887] Wed, 06 June 2007 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
azar wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 09:11

I think that people, which download DEVELOPMENT (not stable)
releases not need such "godsends". They really need to save
time and (sometimes) inet traffic.
In addition, the MinGW insallation is very easy.
Just download installer and run it once.

Isn't it?

Alex

Yes. But you will lack our linker.

OTOH, seriously, for any real Win32 development, M$ SDK is the way to go. We supply mingw version because it is a nice out-of-box solution if you just want to try U++ (we obviously cannot redistribute M$ stuff, even if it is free).

Mirek
Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9896 is a reply to message #9894] Wed, 06 June 2007 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
I missed the you noting that it was a "development" version and thought you meant *any* version. That's what I get for skimming...

As for M$... I do not do enough M$ development to justify spending the $ and the *pain* on their tools. The last time I tried to help someone download their *free* version of VC, we got a warning that it would die in 30 days because we choose not to register it (and give them our email addresses, etc. -- no thank you I get enough SPAM from M$ as it is).

If you are going to break out MinGW, fine, but it would be helpful to point to the MinGW install guide (probably already there).

EBo --
Re: Removing MinGW from dev.releases [message #9907 is a reply to message #9896] Fri, 08 June 2007 09:34 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Wed, 06 June 2007 17:57

As for M$... I do not do enough M$ development to justify spending the $ and the *pain* on their tools. The last time I tried to help someone download their *free* version of VC, we got a warning that it would die in 30 days because we choose not to register it (and give them our email addresses, etc. -- no thank you I get enough SPAM from M$ as it is).

Well, at the moment, you can download SDK which contains Win32 and Win64 compilers for free. Which in fact makes mingw sort of pointless for serious work... (of course, in reality, this can be considered as another M$ move to supress competition, but OTOH, for Win development, SDK is unfortunately way better than mingw...)
Previous Topic: Back to devs?
Next Topic: Vista bug report (forwarded)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:49:07 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01770 seconds