Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » TreeCtrl » Tree Control - how to access properties of node.ctrl?
Tree Control - how to access properties of node.ctrl? [message #10424] Mon, 09 July 2007 07:10 Go to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Hi,

I have my own subclass of Option which I pass into TreeCtrl. However, much later I try to get the control from the TreeCtrl but all I get is a standard Ctrl object and I am not allowed to cast it to the type of control which I originally passed in.

I try this within my TreeCtrl derived class

TreeCtrl::Node node = GetNode(id);	
	LayerOption* ptr = (LayerOption*)(node.ctrl);
	Layer* pLayer = ptr->GetLayer();

but I am not allowed the cast on the second line. The Ctrl I want to cast to looks like this

class LayerOption : public Option {
private:
	virtual void LeftDown(Point p, dword keyflags) 
	{
		if(p.x<this->GetSize().cy)
			Option::LeftDown(p, keyflags);
		if(this->GetData()==true)
			SetFocus();	

// now send pass on this event to the parent for possible drag and drop 
		Ctrl* pCtrl = this->GetParent();
		Point pt = p + GetRect().TopLeft(); // transform event into parent coordinates
		if(p.x>this->GetSize().cy)
			pCtrl->LeftDown(pt,keyflags);

Refresh();
	}

class Layer* m_pLayer; // these classes need to know about each other

public:
	Layer* GetLayer(){return m_pLayer;} // allows the option ctrl to identify its own layer
	void SetLayer(Layer* pLayer){m_pLayer = pLayer;}

bool DropTarget();
	bool DragObject();

};

and is the same type of control I pass into the tree control in the first place and its LeftDown function gets executed so I know its being used.

Is there any way to access this control from the TreeCtrl object please?

Nick

Re: Tree Control - how to access properties of node.ctrl? [message #10432 is a reply to message #10424] Mon, 09 July 2007 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
LayerOption* ptr = (LayerOption*)~node.ctrl;

should work.

Anyway, depending on what exactly your code is doing, maybe you should consider accessing your Array<LayerOption> directly (especially if some node removal is involved). You should be able to do it by:

- creating the node without Ctrl just to get node id (which is int)
- then use the node id you got with Array::At method to create (or recycle) the widget, use GetNode/SetNode to assign Ctrl
- then you can use the id of node as index to the array

Mirek
Re: Tree Control - how to access properties of node.ctrl? [message #10444 is a reply to message #10424] Mon, 09 July 2007 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Thanks Mirek,

Is this a UPP peculiarity or am I just needing to read a book on the finer points of C++?

Anyway, as usual you cure my headache effortlessly Smile

Cheers,

Nick

p.s. in case you are interested, I don't want to use IDs because the user needs to be able to order and reorder the tree by dragging and dropping nodes so the IDs assigned by the tree are pretty much useless to me as I understand it. This is why I use pointers to my Layer objects (each layer having an array of pointers to child layers and one parent layer pointer). Layers draw their children and so on. The customised option control enables me to communicate between the tree view and the main view which displays the layer content.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 July 2007 16:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tree Control - how to access properties of node.ctrl? [message #10446 is a reply to message #10444] Mon, 09 July 2007 18:42 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
nixnixnix wrote on Mon, 09 July 2007 10:18

Thanks Mirek,

Is this a UPP peculiarity or am I just needing to read a book on the finer points of C++?

Well, yes, that would help as well as looking at Ptr interface Smile

BTW, in U++ we are very often using operator~ in this exact situation - we overload it to provide a "cast to natural type", e.g. for String, it returns const char *....

Quote:

p.s. in case you are interested, I don't want to use IDs because the user needs to be able to order and reorder the tree by dragging and dropping nodes so the IDs assigned by the tree are pretty much useless to me as I understand it. This is why I use pointers to my Layer objects (each layer having an array of pointers to child layers and one parent layer pointer). Layers draw their children and so on. The customised option control enables me to communicate between the tree view and the main view which displays the layer content.

That is OK, as long as the only way how to remove nodes is with the whole tree. If you are allowed to remove individual node, then you have to make sure the node Ctrl instance is destroyed...
Previous Topic: Two problems (1 serious) with TreeCtrl
Next Topic: Right Clicking Tree Nodes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:47:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02409 seconds