Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Transfer Semantics - Initializer list and copy constructors
Transfer Semantics - Initializer list and copy constructors [message #10459] Tue, 10 July 2007 15:33 Go to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
I've been trying to get used to Upp NTL library and the pick semantics, an idea that I think is great, but still have a few questions.

Mainly, do initializer lists use deep copy/copy constructors? Also, the do Vector and Array Add() functions use copy constructors while the AddPick() functions do not?

I read the NTL tutorial and the Transfer Semantics section, but I think you should improve on this section with other examples of using it and not using it so that it is easier to grasp at first. I would love to see examples for appending Arrays or Vectors and an expanded explanation on the use of the Pick() and Copy() functions. This is all probably because I am still learning C++ as a language, and want to see it easy to learn and know the differences between standard implementations and NTL; especially for the cases where we use libraries that utilize standard library containers and we have to use them along with NTL containers.
Re: Transfer Semantics - Initializer list and copy constructors [message #10462 is a reply to message #10459] Tue, 10 July 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
The simple rule: Do what you need. If you get crash because of broken pick semantics (the ASSERT in Vector with items = -1), use "deep copy variant" (<<= instead of =, constructor with additional int parameter (e.g. 1).
Re: Transfer Semantics - Initializer list and copy constructors [message #11884 is a reply to message #10462] Sun, 30 September 2007 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 22:11

The simple rule: Do what you need. If you get crash because of broken pick semantics (the ASSERT in Vector with items = -1), use "deep copy variant" (<<= instead of =, constructor with additional int parameter (e.g. 1).

Hello,

for first time I needed to copy the content of a vector in another vector WITHOUT to destroy the original vector. This is my class:
class Person : Moveable<Person> {
	int  currentProposer;
	int  cursor;
  public:
	Index<int> preference;			
	int  RankProposer(int k);
        int  GetNext();						int  GetCurrentRank();					int  GetCurrentProposer();
        int  GetProposedTo();
	int  FindPosition(int k);
	void AcceptProposal(int k); 				
	String ToString() const { String s; for (int i=0; i<preference.GetCount();i++) s<<AsString(preference[i]) + ' '; return s; }
	Person() {currentProposer = 0; cursor = -1; } 
};

Then I declared two vectors:

Vector<Person> M, R;

After some operations made with M I would like to copy M in R. I used
R<<=M;
But the program crashed. Which is the correct syntax for this task?
Thanks,
Luigi

[Updated on: Sun, 30 September 2007 00:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Transfer Semantics - Initializer list and copy constructors [message #11887 is a reply to message #11884] Sun, 30 September 2007 08:32 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 18:27

luzr wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 22:11

Hello,

for first time I needed to copy the content of a vector in another vector WITHOUT to destroy the original vector. This is my class:
class Person : Moveable<Person> {
	int  currentProposer;
	int  cursor;
  public:
	Index<int> preference;			
	int  RankProposer(int k);
        int  GetNext();						int  GetCurrentRank();					int  GetCurrentProposer();
        int  GetProposedTo();
	int  FindPosition(int k);
	void AcceptProposal(int k); 				
	String ToString() const { String s; for (int i=0; i<preference.GetCount();i++) s<<AsString(preference[i]) + ' '; return s; }
	Person() {currentProposer = 0; cursor = -1; } 
};

Then I declared two vectors:

Vector<Person> M, R;

After some operations made with M I would like to copy M in R. I used
R<<=M;
But the program crashed. Which is the correct syntax for this task?
Thanks,
Luigi

Unfortunately, this case is a little bit more complicated, you also have to provide deep copy operations for Person (which, frankly, is a tedious process, but there is no other way).

At minimum provide Person(const Person&, int) constructor that creates deep copy, and use DeepCopyOption template as base class to generate the rest.

Search

http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$Core$pick_$en-us.html

for "DeepCopyOption".

Mirek
Previous Topic: GetIndex on Array
Next Topic: Crash on LoadFromFile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 01:10:07 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02929 seconds