Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file?
Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file? [message #13788] Sun, 27 January 2008 10:19 Go to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Anyone has some simpler way? I don't want to download 1GB over my line, especially if I'm not sure if I will be able to reconnect in case of interruption.

Looks to me like I will be completely discontinuing my windows development much sooner than I expected, and focusing on linux only. (as I have that already installed anyway, and the kubuntu ISO + linux headers + some dev libs are well under 900MB in total)
Re: Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file? [message #13789 is a reply to message #13788] Sun, 27 January 2008 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Hmm.. just tried the 2008.1beta with mingw without windows SDK.
The "HelloWorld" example works?! AdressBook works too.
TheIDE works too.

What for the Windows SDK is needed? Very Happy
Re: Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file? [message #13792 is a reply to message #13789] Sun, 27 January 2008 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Sun, 27 January 2008 10:28

Hmm.. just tried the 2008.1beta with mingw without windows SDK.
The "HelloWorld" example works?! AdressBook works too.
TheIDE works too.

What for the Windows SDK is needed? Very Happy

It is not needed. Just an alternative for MINGW. The only reason why you should use it that it's a little bit better. VS compiler is considerably faster (about 30-40% on my system), binary files are smaller (debug exe is 3-4MB, compared to 20+), and most importantly, MINGW debugger is extremely bad. I has huge problems, especially with templates.

But I agree, 1GB of download is a little large, considering that you need only a few components from it. But I doubt that any form of repackaging of the installer would be legal, so you just have to download it once and make sure not to loose it. You also don't need it if you can get a VS compiler from another sources, like a full VS edition.
Re: Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file? [message #13793 is a reply to message #13792] Sun, 27 January 2008 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

I used network Platform SDK installer where you can choose what to install. For example you can disable 64bit libraries downloading.
Re: Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file? [message #13823 is a reply to message #13792] Tue, 29 January 2008 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
cbpporter: I was talking about Windows platform SDK, not about MSCC. Smile The MSCC is not part of platform SDK AFAIK!
So it's 1.15GB for SDK, and another xyzMB for either MSVS Express, or the MSCC standalone package.

Anyway, I want to stick with mingw whenever possible, it's much smaller and works ok for my needs, I was just afraid I must install windows SDK to compile basic U++ applications. Obviously works even without that, I think all the needed includes and libraries are probably already in mingw.
Re: Windows SDK - the only way is to get that 1.15GB file? [message #13834 is a reply to message #13823] Tue, 29 January 2008 14:40 Go to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 14:01

cbpporter: I was talking about Windows platform SDK, not about MSCC. Smile The MSCC is not part of platform SDK AFAIK!
So it's 1.15GB for SDK, and another xyzMB for either MSVS Express, or the MSCC standalone package.

AFAIK, MS Win SDK is more or less a version of MSCC with headers and libs, but also a lot of extra stuff which you don't need for U++ (especially .NET). I was saying that for U++ you need just a small part of the SDK, which is not a huge install base, but unfortunately, to get it, you need to download the whole thing.
Previous Topic: Build error on current UVS
Next Topic: SVN Revision 110 ide Build Errors on Ubuntu Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:00:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06008 seconds