Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Real newbie question about copying values
Real newbie question about copying values [message #14016] Wed, 06 February 2008 19:39 Go to next message
gonzofish is currently offline  gonzofish
Promising Member

I have a struct with the following structure:

struct LLxml{	

String	tag;
	Array<LLxml>	childs;
	VectorMap<String, String>	attribs;
	String 			inner_text;

};

The point of this struct is to store the results of an XmlNode analysis in hierarchal fashion. The tag name is stored in tag, the tags that are children of this tag are stored in childs, the attributes of the tag are stored in attribs, and (if there is any) free-standing text in a tag is stored in inner_text.

Now, my problem is that when I'm analyzing the data stored into the struct (which is essentially a pseudo-linked list), as I'm traversing through the children I need to copy the parent values. So that, if I had a variable root, representing the top level tag, I get something like:

LLxml root;
Llxml temp = root; // to store the root

for(int i = 0; ...){
     root = root.childs[i];

}

root = temp;

Now, as some might see, when I try to execute this, I get all kinds of problems. If I don't get "Broken Pick Semantics" problems, the value that fills root is incorrect.

I suppose this is an issue dealing with how variables and such are copied, but I'm not really sure what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Real newbie question about copying values [message #14019 is a reply to message #14016] Wed, 06 February 2008 20:36 Go to previous message
gonzofish is currently offline  gonzofish
Promising Member

Like I said, newbie question. I solved my problem through the use of a pointer.

Thanks to anyone who gave the problem a look.
Previous Topic: DLI does not compile
Next Topic: Bug in String/Stream or just misleading documentation?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 22:28:30 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01372 seconds