Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » LineEdit, EditFields, DocEdit » Best way to implement a two-way LineEdit
Best way to implement a two-way LineEdit [message #14652] Wed, 05 March 2008 22:47 Go to next message
eeyore is currently offline  eeyore
My apologies gentlemen, but I just started using this program today, so bare with me.

I'm writing a program that had a network interface and I want to use a LineEdit (?) to display command received, as well as a way for the user to enter commands to be sent. Basically, I'm trying to put a console in a GUI, for lack of a better of way of explaining it. I've got everything done except figuring out this LineEdit and how to do two things: 1) How do I detect when the user hits the enter key, and 2) is there a way to insert lines and have them be different colors?

In regards to the second item, I tried bypassing the call to Refresh in SetColor() and only refreshing the Rect that contains the line I just entered, but that didnt' work. Apparently, Refresh is being called somewhere else and it's changing the color of the entire LineEdit instead of just the Rect containing my newly inserted line.

So, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Re: Best way to implement a two-way LineEdit [message #14655 is a reply to message #14652] Thu, 06 March 2008 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Setting the line color is easy enough, you just need a sub-class that overloads LineEdit::HighlightLine. I think you could even set the color (or change font!) for every character if necessary.

I'm not sure about a console-like LineEdit though. Personally I'd use a separate EditString for the text entry and keep the LineEdit as read-only.

This example colours alternate lines red/blue:
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>
using namespace Upp;

class Console : public LineEdit {
    virtual void  HighlightLine(int line, Vector<Highlight>& h, int pos) {
        for (int i = 0; i < h.GetCount(); i++)
            h[i].ink = (line % 2) ? SBlue : SRed;
    }
};

class CtrlLibTest : public TopWindow {
    Console line;
    EditString cmd;

public:
    typedef CtrlLibTest CLASSNAME;
    CtrlLibTest()
    {
        SetRect(0, 0, 308, 344);
        CenterScreen();

Add(line.NoCutLine().WantFocus(false).HSizePos().VSizePosZ(0, 23));
        Add(cmd.HSizePos().BottomPosZ(0, 24));
    }

virtual bool Key(dword key, int count)
    {
        if (key == K_RETURN && cmd.HasFocus()) {
            if (line.GetLineCount() >= 199)
                line.Remove(0, line.GetLineLength(0)+1);
            line.Insert(line.GetLength(), (WString)~cmd + '\n');
            line.SetCursor(line.GetLength());
            cmd.Clear();
            return true;
        }
        return false;   
    }
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
    CtrlLibTest().Run();
} 

but if you really want to intercept the return key in the LineEdit you just add a Key overload to Console and remember to call LineEdit::Key if key != K_RETURN.

Hope that helps.
James
Re: Best way to implement a two-way LineEdit [message #14662 is a reply to message #14655] Thu, 06 March 2008 15:30 Go to previous message
eeyore is currently offline  eeyore
Thanks for the tips. I had thought about using a separate EditString, and it looks like that might be the best way to go. I'll give the LineHighlight a try and see what I can do. Thanks for the code!
Previous Topic: EditIntSpin is to provide operator=(int)
Next Topic: DocEdit call RemoveLines make Assertion failed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:12:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01243 seconds