Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » newbie to programming
newbie to programming [message #14760] Thu, 13 March 2008 11:23 Go to next message
toneranger33 is currently offline  toneranger33
Promising Member
Frst post so Hi to all.

As the thread suggests, a newbie - though previously attempted to use c++ without any success.

Chanced upon Ultimate++ so decided to give things another go.

I have tried to build UWord from the included examples in forece_speed mode, the completed app runs but crashes when trying to save a file.

The error from the windows report is Offset: 00277542

Using the debug mode it builds and saves OK, is it possible to use the spped mode to create finished exe files?

I would also like to switch to using the MSC8 build mode but this just generates errors when trying to build, what are the settings to use this feature?

The SDK is inside Microsoft Visual Studio 8/SDK

C++ 2005 Express installed.

Any help and beginneers tips gratefully appreciated.

toneranger33
Re: newbie to programming [message #14761 is a reply to message #14760] Thu, 13 March 2008 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
[quote title=toneranger33 wrote on Thu, 13 March 2008 06:23]Frst post so Hi to all.

As the thread suggests, a newbie - though previously attempted to use c++ without any success.

Chanced upon Ultimate++ so decided to give things another go.

I have tried to build UWord from the included examples in forece_speed mode, the completed app runs but crashes when trying to save a file.

Using the debug mode it builds and saves OK, is it possible to use the spped mode to create finished exe files?

I would also like to switch to using the MSC8 build mode but this just generates errors when trying to build, what are the settings to use this feature?

The SDK is inside Microsoft Visual Studio 8/SDK

C++ 2005 Express installed.
[/code]

Please, more details. E.g. what version of U++ and what errors...

As for "Force speed" - generally, you do not need to use that and it in special cases can even slowdown the code (albeit very little).

The thing is that most of application code does not need to be speed optimized. And speed optimized code is generally significantly longer than size optimized code (mostly because all inline functions are really inlined).

Therefore theide / U++ is able to mark files with "F" flag that are supposed to be speed optimized; rest is considered a size optimized code. Usually, only 5-10% of code really needs to be speed optimized.

In the "Optimal" mode, these file flags are used. In "force speed" / "force size", they are ignored. Those two "force" modes in fact are mostly development utilities to allow you comparison between fully speed optimized code and "optimal" version. Anyway, your reaction if force speed is significantly faster should be to identify more files or packages to have "F" flag and get the performance on par.

Mirek

P.S.: I guess this represents a nice FAQ entry Smile
Re: newbie to programming [message #14799 is a reply to message #14760] Sat, 15 March 2008 11:31 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
toneranger33 wrote on Thu, 13 March 2008 06:23

OK, I have investigated this and after 4 hours hunt it turned out to be a compiler bug... Sad

I guess we will have to find a better mingw or reduce optimization level.

Mirek
Previous Topic: theIDE help keyword search
Next Topic: CH_STYLE parsing fix
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:44:22 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.88399 seconds