Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » ArrayCtrl, HeaderCtrl & GridCtrl » How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15974 is a reply to message #15973] Tue, 20 May 2008 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
In this little test case, the main diagonal should not be clickable. Am am using the API wrong?
  • Attachment: GridTest.rar
    (Size: 1.13KB, Downloaded 267 times)
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15975 is a reply to message #15974] Tue, 20 May 2008 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

No, you're doing fine. GridCtrl tested only if a row or a column is clickable not a particular cell. I have fixed this. Use attached sources. If you find some other problems, do not hesitate to write about them. I will fix them all if possible.
  • Attachment: GridCtrl.7z
    (Size: 73.29KB, Downloaded 249 times)
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15981 is a reply to message #15975] Wed, 21 May 2008 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Thanks for the fix!

Now I need to determine the current row & column. I found a GetCurrentRow (but no GetCurrentColumn), but the value which it returned seems to be off (and even constant in my case). There is also GetCursor, which returns (-1, -1)? And which is the event for cell change?

And is there an easier way to do key/value stuff than using a Value and GridDisplay?
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15982 is a reply to message #15981] Wed, 21 May 2008 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

cbpporter wrote on Wed, 21 May 2008 09:48

Now I need to determine the current row & column. I found a GetCurrentRow (but no GetCurrentColumn), but the value which it returned seems to be off (and even constant in my case). There is also GetCursor, which returns (-1, -1)? And which is the event for cell change?

GetCursorPos return Point with currently pointed cell otherwise it returns Point(-1, -1). It should work. If not please give me some more information (calling context) or attach a test case.
Quote:

And is there an easier way to do key/value stuff than using a Value and GridDisplay?

What you mean exactely? What do you want to achieve?
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15983 is a reply to message #15982] Wed, 21 May 2008 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
GetCursorPos worked. I just had to change event from WhenCursor to WhenChangeRow & WhenChangeCol. With WhenCursor it was always (-1,-1), even though this event triggered on cell change.

Quote:

What you mean exactely? What do you want to achieve?

Like in most other cases, I need to insert some data in the container widget, but I need it to display some text. From what I could tell from the interface of GridCtrl, is that you insert some arbitrary type converted to a Value, and write a custom Display to display a string while the control holds you values.
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15984 is a reply to message #15983] Wed, 21 May 2008 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

GetCursorPos worked. I just had to change event from WhenCursor to WhenChangeRow & WhenChangeCol. With WhenCursor it was always (-1,-1), even though this event triggered on cell change.

Starange, you should get correct values in WhenCursor. I'll try to check it.

Quote:

Like in most other cases, I need to insert some data in the container widget, but I need it to display some text. From what I could tell from the interface of GridCtrl, is that you insert some arbitrary type converted to a Value, and write a custom Display to display a string while the control holds you values.

Ok, now I understand. One cell holds one Value object. If you want key/value pair conected with one cell you have to use some structure as Value. As for displaying. You have to extend GridDisplay class which contain some useful methods like SetLeft/Right/CenterImage.

You could also do somehting like this:

grd.AddIndex(); this column will hold keys (and it will be invisible)
grd.AddColumn(); this column will hold values
grd.AddIndex()
grd.AddColumn

In GridDisplay you can access via parent member neighbours' values. You can also read current position via col, row members.
Hope that will help you somehow Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #15999 is a reply to message #15984] Thu, 22 May 2008 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
[quote title=unodgs wrote on Wed, 21 May 2008 18:45]
Quote:

Ok, now I understand. One cell holds one Value object. If you want key/value pair conected with one cell you have to use some structure as Value. As for displaying. You have to extend GridDisplay class which contain some useful methods like SetLeft/Right/CenterImage.

Yes, I know that. This was not a question of how, it was a question of principle. I was asking why isn't there and easier method of doing it. The scenario I described is a fairly common one IMO. It's great that you can use a Display and do really fancy stuff if you need it, but in most cases I just want to display a simple text extracted from the Value in exactly the same position and with same style as if I had inserted a string directly. In such cases, using Display is a little overkill, and witting them can be repetitive and tedious.

Let's take for example a Paint method from Dispaly:
virtual void Paint(Draw& w, const Rect& r, const Value& q,
		               Color ink, Color paper, dword style) const

It has 6 parameters, and all have useful predefined values which you'll rarely ignore or change and go ahead and use them. A large portion of these displays consists of a simple w.DrawText and maybe some position calculation. Since U++ is in general good at detecting common idioms and offering some API, mechanism or clever trick for it, I was wondering why it doesn't offer something like that in this case. For example, something like:
struct MyDisplay: TextDisplay
{
    virtual String Text(const Value &q) const;
}
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16001 is a reply to message #15999] Thu, 22 May 2008 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

You can use converters. For example:

struct SexConv : Convert
{
	Value Format(const Value& q) const
	{
		switch(int(q))
		{
			case SEX_MALE: return "Male";
			case SEX_FEMALE: return "Female";
			case SEX_CHILD: return "Child";
		}		
		return Null;
	}
};

grid.AddColumn("Key column").SetConvert(Single<SexConverter>());

grid.Add(SEX_MALE).Add(SEX_FEMALE);
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16005 is a reply to message #16001] Thu, 22 May 2008 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Great! I never though about using a Converter for this. And since String is ref counted (and my strings are also short), it should be fairly quick to extract a field from the value this way.

I've done some code clean-up and am very happy with the result. I do miss the ColumnList look a little, so I'm going to add an option to switch between a ColumnList output and a GridCtrl one, with grid being default Smile.

I still have 2 questions not 100% related to GridCtrl:
1. I noticed that displaying a large number of CJK characters is pretty slow. I tried replacing all the CJK characters with English ones, and the control was blazing fast again, so I don't believe it's related to GridCtrl. I wonder if there is a native limitation in the drawing sped of these chars (they are quite a bit more complex that other ones), or is this related to U++. I remember Mirek saying once that after he fixed some bugs regarding the determination of the metrics for these chars, it became slow, so he had to speed it up.

2. Is there an Array like container, but which does not free the memory occupied by it's items? I'm using Vector<Foo *> right now.
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16014 is a reply to message #16005] Thu, 22 May 2008 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
2. ArrayCtrl::SetCtrl() ?
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16016 is a reply to message #16014] Thu, 22 May 2008 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mrjt wrote on Thu, 22 May 2008 19:38

I think you misunderstood. I should have explained more clearly. I was wondering if there is a container which does not destroy it's items when it is destroyed, so basically it does not own them. I have a collection of type Foo and need to provide a number of "views" for those items, so I use Vector<Foo *>.
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16026 is a reply to message #16016] Fri, 23 May 2008 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 22 May 2008 20:15

mrjt wrote on Thu, 22 May 2008 19:38

I think you misunderstood. I should have explained more clearly. I was wondering if there is a container which does not destroy it's items when it is destroyed, so basically it does not own them. I have a collection of type Foo and need to provide a number of "views" for those items, so I use Vector<Foo *>.

I did indeed, though the explanation was perfectly clear the first time Smile.

Vector<Foo *> seems a reasonable option (although you could use Vector< Ptr<Foo> >), but I'm struggling to think of a situation where this would be necessary. Can the view not just use a const reference to the Vector? Or does it need a special subset of items?
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16027 is a reply to message #16026] Fri, 23 May 2008 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mrjt wrote on Fri, 23 May 2008 12:14

Vector<Foo *> seems a reasonable option (although you could use Vector< Ptr<Foo> >), but I'm struggling to think of a situation where this would be necessary. Can the view not just use a const reference to the Vector? Or does it need a special subset of items?

Well, since you asked, yes I have such a situation. It is rather messy. I have a collection of over 13000 items which are organized in multiple "views". These views are subsets of the original collection, and all have their particular order. Items can and often will be in a lot of views at the same time. The number of total views is not yet determined, but it is over 50. Through an interface a filter can be defined which allows and item or rejects it. This must update all the views, determine some basic statistics (i.e. items accepted vs. items rejected) and must work in "real-time" on a low-end system. Any number of views can be visible at all times (though luckily limited by screen resolution). Since applying the filter on each view is not feasible, I apply it on the main collection and use those vectors for displaying and to compute the statistics.

So there were two solutions.
1. Use a lot of configuration files (possibly XML) and a lot of instance variables and even a lot more enums. Maintenance nightmare.
2. Use 3 classes full of templates and just a small number of constants and generate the sets programatically by parametrized classes so I don't end up with with dozens of instance variables.

I chose the second one.
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16044 is a reply to message #16027] Sat, 24 May 2008 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I think I've found a bug. What you need to reproduce is:
1. A window with a Layout method which clear the contents of a grid and then populates it with a number of N items.
2. Two Buttons or other event dispatchers. The first will set N to a low number so that the grid doesn't require a scrollbar. The second set N do that the grid would display a scrollbar. Both call Layout after setting N.

You need to click the first button, then the second, then the first again. At the second click on the first button, when repopulating the grid that formerly had a scrollbar and now no longer needs to have one, GetSize returns a different cx for the grid. During the entire operation, the grid remains the same size, so I believe GetSize should not change.

I'm sorry for not providing a test case, but I'm dead tired right now. I'll post one tomorrow.
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16045 is a reply to message #16044] Sat, 24 May 2008 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

I think I've found a bug.

Great! I'm waiting for the test case Smile
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16117 is a reply to message #16045] Wed, 28 May 2008 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Sorry that it took so long to post the test case, but since this bug was so easy to circumvent, it was a really low priority task to get it fixed and I was busy with other work that had to be done Sad.
  • Attachment: GridTest.rar
    (Size: 2.02KB, Downloaded 267 times)
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16205 is a reply to message #16117] Mon, 02 June 2008 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
A secondary issue appeared in cases when after a layout change which resulted in a scrollbar the user executed another one: the top row would not be updated on scroll.

So I decided to investigate GridCtrl and I found the solution to both problems. After calling Ready(false), a Clear(true) does not update the scrollbar information, so that computations done in layout still have the scrollbar size included, because of the way GetSize investigates the frame count to return the adjusted size.

So the issues can be solved by either swapping the order of the Ready and Clear call, or by calling UpdateScrollbars after the clear.
Re: How to create a GridCtrl with fixed cell size [message #16337 is a reply to message #16205] Mon, 09 June 2008 10:08 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

cbpporter wrote on Mon, 02 June 2008 05:06

A secondary issue appeared in cases when after a layout change which resulted in a scrollbar the user executed another one: the top row would not be updated on scroll.

So I decided to investigate GridCtrl and I found the solution to both problems. After calling Ready(false), a Clear(true) does not update the scrollbar information, so that computations done in layout still have the scrollbar size included, because of the way GetSize investigates the frame count to return the adjusted size.

So the issues can be solved by either swapping the order of the Ready and Clear call, or by calling UpdateScrollbars after the clear.

The problem is UpdateSb in Clear is called when grid is in ready state, but I think it can be called always - then you will get proper values in your Layout method. I will commit the change today to uvs.
Previous Topic: bad align of an optionbutton in gridctrl
Next Topic: GridCtrl - copy all [Feature Request]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:17:01 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03399 seconds