Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » How I do to debug my programs?
How I do to debug my programs? [message #18846] Mon, 27 October 2008 14:50 Go to next message
jasperlotus is currently offline  jasperlotus
MINGW + GDB.

Hello,

I'm a new user of theIDE, and I have a problem when debugging my programs. I've set the breakpoints and when I hit F5, just see `Running...' but cannot view the value of my variables.

So, please help. Thanks!
Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #18847 is a reply to message #18846] Mon, 27 October 2008 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zaurus is currently offline  zaurus
Hi,

I'm experience the similar situation. But I found out that it just takes long time for the variables to come up. If you wait for maybe 2 minutes then the values of the variables are shown and you can continue to debug.

I didn't have this problem with the old 2007.1 version, but now with 2008.1 and MINGW I have it consistantly. If using the VC compiler and debugger then everything works smooth.

I expect it has something to do with GDB.

Zaurus
Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #18849 is a reply to message #18846] Mon, 27 October 2008 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
Chose Full info Level for debug in output mode.
Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #18859 is a reply to message #18849] Wed, 29 October 2008 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob wrote on Mon, 27 October 2008 18:53

Chose Full info Level for debug in output mode.

The default setting is `Full' already!

I'm now must debug myself with the console version of GDB, and yep, with MSVC it works well, but I have no MSVC installed on my home PC Very Happy
Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #18877 is a reply to message #18859] Thu, 30 October 2008 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

You can still debug in Upp. Once the debugger reach the breakpoint just wait for a while. Don't press F10 or anything. After 10-20 seconds the variables under 'Auto' or 'Local' will come up and you can start stepping through your program with F10.

It somehow seems that the communication between Upp and GDB is very slow. I don't know what's the reason for it. It used to be ok with older versions of Upp with MinGW.

It's a bit annoying, but still can do some debugging.

Zaurus
Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #18882 is a reply to message #18877] Thu, 30 October 2008 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zaurus wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 05:45

Hi!

You can still debug in Upp. Once the debugger reach the breakpoint just wait for a while. Don't press F10 or anything. After 10-20 seconds the variables under 'Auto' or 'Local' will come up and you can start stepping through your program with F10.

It somehow seems that the communication between Upp and GDB is very slow. I don't know what's the reason for it. It used to be ok with older versions of Upp with MinGW.

It's a bit annoying, but still can do some debugging.

Zaurus

It produces like this...

----- jasper_testing ( MAIN GCC DEBUG DEBUG_FULL BLITZ WIN32 )
cd D:\MyApps\coding\jasper_testing
D:\MyApps\apps\MINGW.Debug.Debug_full\jasper_testing.exe (17521 B) is up to date.

OK. (0:00.04)
gdb D:\MyApps\apps\MINGW.Debug.Debug_full\jasper_testing.exe
set prompt <>
GNU gdb 6.8
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32"...
(gdb) 
set disassembly-flavor intel

set exec-done-display off

set annotate 1

set height 0

set width 0

set confirm off

set print asm-demangle

b D:/MyApps/coding/jasper_testing/main.c:10
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4013fa: file D:/MyApps/coding/jasper_testing/main.c, line 10.

run

...and no more things happen.

I can only press Shift+F5 to stop this procedure.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2008 12:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #18945 is a reply to message #18846] Sun, 02 November 2008 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I'm not so familiar with GDB and have no idea what is going on in your case. Maybe some of the gurus here can help you.
Re: How I do to debug my programs? [message #19071 is a reply to message #18945] Sat, 08 November 2008 17:56 Go to previous message
zaurus wrote on Sun, 02 November 2008 10:51

Sorry I'm not so familiar with GDB and have no idea what is going on in your case. Maybe some of the gurus here can help you.

Very Happy Thank you!
Previous Topic: steps for compiling program for ARM9
Next Topic: MSC8 config issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:03:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01010 seconds