Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project
Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19175] Sun, 16 November 2008 21:36 Go to next message
uplanet is currently offline  uplanet
Hi,

I am looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project. I am new to this forum, so am not sure if this is right place to ask this question. Can someone provide an estimate on what if it would take if I provide more information about the project.

John
Re: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19177 is a reply to message #19175] Mon, 17 November 2008 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
What do you mean exactly? The U++ can be compiled by MS C compiler, so if you set up the build process correctly, you can compile the very same source under MSVC too (except you lose the easy way of working with packages and BLITZ build mode).

If you want to remove U++ libs code completely, you should probably tell at first what the U++ projects already does use from U++, so what should be replaced by different API or lib.
Re: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19178 is a reply to message #19177] Mon, 17 November 2008 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Also, if some element of U++ in whole bothers you, you can also strip out the unwanted stuff, compile the rest under visual studio and make sure that new code uses other lib, and old code is only present so you don't have to rewrite a possibly large section of you code.

As for an estimate of how long it would take, it depends on the size of your code and the parts of U++ you are using. If you use GUI, I think it will be faster to scratch all GUI code, forget about porting it and rewrite. If you don't use GUI, you'll probably have it a lot easier and you can port everything one method/class at a time. For this approach I would recommend sticking with TheIDE until you have removed all U++ references, and then continue with VS.
Re: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19267 is a reply to message #19177] Sun, 23 November 2008 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the reply.

Can you lay out the process of compiling the U++ code in MS Visual C++ as managed code? Step 1: I start a new project in VC++ 2005/8, what should be step 2, 3 etc. I have the U++ code, and need to know how to handle U++ libraries use in the GUI? Should I just rewrite it, or there is a way to write them as subprojects include them in the new project? Can you please advise? Which is the most efficient way to accomplish it?

thanks for your help and time.
Re: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19268 is a reply to message #19267] Sun, 23 November 2008 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
uplanet wrote on Sun, 23 November 2008 15:07

Thank you for the reply.

Can you lay out the process of compiling the U++ code in MS Visual C++ as managed code? Step 1: I start a new project in VC++ 2005/8, what should be step 2, 3 etc. I have the U++ code, and need to know how to handle U++ libraries use in the GUI? Should I just rewrite it, or there is a way to write them as subprojects include them in the new project? Can you please advise? Which is the most efficient way to accomplish it?

thanks for your help and time.

Search the forum, there were people compiling U++ in Visual Studio. We have even done some improvements to package structure to make the goal simpler.

Mirek
Re: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19271 is a reply to message #19268] Sun, 23 November 2008 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried searching the forums without much luck. If you send me a link that will help me compile and debug the ultimate C++ code project in a Visual Studio project, that would be very helpful. May be I am not searchign the right way.

thanks again for your time.
Re: Looking for someone to convert a ulimate++ project to Microsoft Visual C++ project [message #19284 is a reply to message #19175] Mon, 24 November 2008 09:17 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm not completely familiar with managed code concepts, but AFAIK the U++ can't be compiled as managed, it's pure C++.
So you are not looking for somebody to convert into MSVC++, but into managed code. And that's more tricky.

I think you will have to decide, which parts of project must be managed, then define some meeting point (API), where it will call the unmanaged C++. I'm not sure how that calls are done, see probably MSDN and managed vs unmanaged, there should be some information about it.

And then there's the question: why managed?
Are you sure you need to port that U++ project, don't you want something else, like ability to call it from managed C# application/etc..? I mean, can you share the goals behind the "port this" decision? Maybe it will make more clear, what you really want/need.
Previous Topic: Hi everybody
Next Topic: Pick overloaded by Rvalue?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:49:43 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01701 seconds