Home » Community » Coffee corner » M$
M$ [message #20485] Fri, 20 March 2009 14:54 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
sergeynikitin wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 09:52

I do not like Microsoft. Mad

Why do you code for Win32 then? Smile

Mirek
Re: MT [message #20488 is a reply to message #20485] Fri, 20 March 2009 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
sergeynikitin wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 09:57

It's market.I write commercial software for users of Windows. Sad

Well, so do I. That is why I need to use MSC, because that is Win32 standard. And it is a good compiler.

Mirek
Re: MT [message #20490 is a reply to message #20485] Fri, 20 March 2009 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

For smaller packages such as the automation of certain types of business - I can set my own standards. And I do not like Microsoft. Evil or Very Mad

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: MT [message #20492 is a reply to message #20490] Fri, 20 March 2009 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
sergeynikitin wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 16:07

For smaller packages such as the automation of certain types of business - I can set my own standards. And I do not like Microsoft. Evil or Very Mad

I don't want to start a flame war, but I like Microsoft(even if I'm a Linux user Razz ) what I dislike is their policy and their monopoly. Just think how many programmers and other kinds of people have a job there. Not everyone "is made" to sustain a noble cause like open-source and free software nor "made" to be a freelancer. Having a stable job which give you a constant revenue is sometime more important than not working for someone because you dislike it's "face". The means are excused by purpose (sometimes).
Now, even if I'm a Linux user I dislike Linux sometimes very much Rolling Eyes. Why? Because its spread in thousands distributions and 90%(maybe more) of current distros doesn't come with innovations but copy what was invented by others and give to that a new name. I consider that as weakness of Linux. Because it's not unified it pay a big price. I had friends which wanted to use Linux but were stopped by the enormous number of distros available, which one to choose? One is buggy than other... That's the fate of Linux... It's divided and easily conquered.

About the release cycle... I consider that releasing a distro twice in one year is too much. Why not upgrade just the kernel, "vital" components and software I usually use, why do I need an upgraded OS after six months? Six months release is good for software (large software) but not for distros. How many improvements made Ubuntu team in core of the Ubuntu distro to deserve a new release (here improvements mean only the pieces which differs from other distros not kernel and drivers updates, ext4 support (etc.) which anyway almost every distro will include until the half or the end of this year). Major changes require a new release but if we change just the theme and make some minor improvements here and there that doesn't deserve it. BTW, I have Ubuntu 8.10 which is almost as future Jaunty 9.04, same themes, wallpapers, kernel, Office, IM client, I may upgrade my Gnome desktop to latest if I want... only thing really missing is ext4 support (I think I can live without it until next release...9.10, I don't know when I will have files larger than 2 TiB which ext3 actually support).
Re: MT [message #20495 is a reply to message #20492] Fri, 20 March 2009 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

It is the policy of monopoly and monopoly by itself is understandable and is not contested (and is not considered to be bad - it's just a fact).

I do not like the quality of software produced by Microsoft. I remember with horror the installation of the compiler MCS. To install the MCS needs to load the installation system heap additional libraries, which then burdening the system, forcing the system to work slowly.

In contrast - MINGW - sitting quietly in a corner and runs only when I was busy programming.

Of course you can say - it is necessary to program a computer to which you want to install all these libraries. But I have a small business. I want to save my money. And the need to spend or degradation of other applications is a natural irritation. And at Microsoft this position greatly.

People saying: foot stuck - All bird disappeared.

{
}
Re: MT [message #20496 is a reply to message #20495] Fri, 20 March 2009 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well I try to not label everything. Things like "evil" are being tossed around much too often, even when not necessary and targeted toward people who are trying to make an honest living. I'm sure that both you and me would be considered evil by a lot of people because not only do we create closed source programs (I hope I didn't misunderstand you and you are actually doing opensource), but we are using free tools to make money of the back of the poor altruistic developers who made that code available for us. Also, I try to avoid calling some stuff evil because to me, here is the top 3 most evil software components:
1. autotools & friends, which have singlehandedly transformed building software into a nightmare. I'm sorry, but if I need over 500K+ of shell scripts + 5 different tools installed on my system, each with their own syntax, to build hello world, and I'm waiting 2 minutes to ./configure to finish the first time, there isn't any better candidate for the privileged position of getting all my hate. I know that these tools are trying to fix a build system that is not cross platform, but at what price?
2. C
3. C++
There is a certain level of hypocrisy to call these things evil because I spend so much time with them.

Also Microsoft did nothing to deserve my disrespect (except some stuff int the tabloids that hasn't proven yet and Vista and Me Smile ) They created IMO the best OS. I always have a practical attitude toward such things, and Windows is currently the only OS capable of being both a desktop and a development environment. While Linux makes a great server powerhouse, even today I can find motherboards with network cards which are not recognized by Linux. At work, we had to buy new cards for every single computer.

As for MSC, my installation is about 250MB and it does not interfere with my work. Since I started using TheIDE, I no longer install VS and that huge text monster MSDN both occupying probably over 7GB. All I need is free SDK, TheIDE and Mingw + eclipse for std or any other library integration work. But even if I don't use it any longer, VS is still light years ahead with some features compared to TheIDE. Great part is that I don't miss those features.
Re: MT [message #20502 is a reply to message #20496] Sat, 21 March 2009 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

I want you to warn of the fact that to call Microsoft as evil. And even so to highlight the situation that I try to call Microsoft as evil. No. Microsoft - a normal company that makes a good product, but the quality is not respected to the highest level. That's all.

In times of "Until the windows" I tried to move away from Borland to Microsoft C. But colleagues said they were not advised to use Microsoft products with a version number lower than 3. Subsequently, I found myself and confirm this advice.

I am very pleased with the work of GCC as the compiler. I really liked the team created TheIDE. And I am very happy to use this environment for the development of commercial applications. The code, obtained at a very high level of quality (you can say sky-high level of quality).

Perhaps the Microsoft creates a fast and compact code, but thanks. I compare the stability of Linux and the stability of Windows. And I think that not so happens that the compiler - a genius, but with the security of the operating system - accidentally went bad. Just by chance. Why I do not believe it. Better, I will work with the GCC (MINGW), even if the Exe-file is a little more.

{
}
Re: MT [message #20505 is a reply to message #20502] Sat, 21 March 2009 14:37 Go to previous message
Contributor

Thank you for the move thread.

{
}

[Updated on: Sat, 21 March 2009 14:39]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Crazy(?) idea about debugging
Next Topic: (Commercial) Upp consulting?!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:38:27 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01888 seconds