Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Releases
Releases [message #20733] Thu, 02 April 2009 14:04 Go to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
U++ is using a rolling release system which means that the developers are working always on dev branch and if there is a bug it get always solved but not back ported to say 2008.1. Usually a new release come out after some major changes and it's out for people who are "scared" about using latest changes Smile . I don't see why someone would stay with U++ 2008.1 or other release. Using U++ from development branch doesn't break your application(too often Razz ) and make you keeping the step with the changes which are introduced daily. My advice is to don't be afraid of using latest U++ from svn. And yes, i think there should be a new release for 2009 year and i think Mirek is thinking at that too ( U++ PR, server infrastructure, etc.) Rolling Eyes
Re: Bug crashing application in Upp2008.1 [message #20734 is a reply to message #20733] Thu, 02 April 2009 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 02 April 2009 15:04

I don't see why someone would stay with U++ 2008.1 or other release.

Some people, especially management refuse to work with non stable version, and will refuse any bug fix until it not incorporated into next minor version at least.

I also have a personal “no-support” app where only stable is used. When something is wrong and it's my fault, I fix it. When it's U++'s fault, “no-support” means that the issue is filled as non-fixable.

On my old job there was an unhappy coincidence where the single time a rolling version was installed it failed to build (some silly bug in Mt) and that practically sealed the deal and set 2008.1 and TheIDE from it as the only acceptable version Smile).
Re: Bug crashing application in Upp2008.1 [message #20778 is a reply to message #20733] Mon, 06 April 2009 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 02 April 2009 08:04

U++ is using a rolling release system which means that the developers are working always on dev branch and if there is a bug it get always solved but not back ported to say 2008.1. Usually a new release come out after some major changes and it's out for people who are "scared" about using latest changes Smile . I don't see why someone would stay with U++ 2008.1 or other release. Using U++ from development branch doesn't break your application(too often Razz ) and make you keeping the step with the changes which are introduced daily. My advice is to don't be afraid of using latest U++ from svn. And yes, i think there should be a new release for 2009 year and i think Mirek is thinking at that too ( U++ PR, server infrastructure, etc.) Rolling Eyes

I guess this requires some more discussion....

Actually, I was rather thinking that I will abandon the idea of "major" "stable" releases.

The real reson is that it seems unlikely that we have enough manpower and will to backport any bug fixes. Therefore, 'head' release is almost always more stable than any previous release.

In fact, in the past 10 years, I was always using head. Of course, for me it is simple as there is for me no real distinction between U++ bug and final application bug... Smile

It is also worth mentioning that most abrupt changes of the past are now, well, the past.

Mirek
Re: Bug crashing application in Upp2008.1 [message #22583 is a reply to message #20778] Tue, 28 July 2009 14:07 Go to previous message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 06 April 2009 10:42

andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 02 April 2009 08:04

I guess this requires some more discussion....

Actually, I was rather thinking that I will abandon the idea of "major" "stable" releases.

The real reson is that it seems unlikely that we have enough manpower and will to backport any bug fixes. Therefore, 'head' release is almost always more stable than any previous release.

In fact, in the past 10 years, I was always using head. Of course, for me it is simple as there is for me no real distinction between U++ bug and final application bug... Smile

It is also worth mentioning that most abrupt changes of the past are now, well, the past.

Mirek

I propose to implement an bugzila or issue (as in google), this implementation will be better to know bug detail.
Previous Topic: Another BSD patch
Next Topic: mingw?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:46:17 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01277 seconds