Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » TheIde Pixelated icons?
TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #21851] Mon, 08 June 2009 12:39 Go to next message
janwilmans is currently offline  janwilmans

I think TheIde could benefit from better icons! Why can be count the pixels on almost all TheIde icons? can't we get someone to create nice anti-aliased ones?

U++ has come a long way the past years in terms of technical improvements, but TheIde still look like it's from 1996 ?

I just noticed one icon that looks better: the SVN sync icon!
It's a start, but I think we should re-vamp TheIde completely!

Thoughts ?

Jan Wilmans

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #21936 is a reply to message #21851] Thu, 11 June 2009 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
skyhawk wrote on Mon, 08 June 2009 06:39

I think TheIde could benefit from better icons! Why can be count the pixels on almost all TheIde icons? can't we get someone to create nice anti-aliased ones?

U++ has come a long way the past years in terms of technical improvements, but TheIde still look like it's from 1996 ?

I just noticed one icon that looks better: the SVN sync icon!
It's a start, but I think we should re-vamp TheIde completely!

Thoughts ?

Jan Wilmans

Agreed.

BTW, svn sync icon is better because it is already designed with new (well, "new", it already exists for some years) icondesigner, which has "antialiased mode".

Mirek
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #21974 is a reply to message #21936] Sat, 13 June 2009 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think we could replace some (or all??) icons right away using

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

they are 16x16 icons (i think) but at least they could give TheIde a completely new look without much design time.

I also think, if we create an list of icons and specify what we want an icon to represent, we could let robert create even better icons for us! We do need to specify 'what' exacly we want to 'express' with the icons we need

Greetings,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #21987 is a reply to message #21974] Sun, 14 June 2009 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Good tip.

Now, the question is whether we should replace icons in CtrlLib with these, or rather create a new 'art' package.

I vote for second option. Besides, it will make possible to somebody else to do it Smile (any volunteers?)

Mirek
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #21990 is a reply to message #21987] Sun, 14 June 2009 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ptDev is currently offline  ptDev
Promising Member
That's funny, I have been collecting an "art" package for an application of mine. I even started making one with a bunch of standard Vista icons, sized 48x48 (one can always smooth rescale them anyway), for example. In a day of two, I can always add more to the community art package.

I send as attachment, the .iml file I've been using with standard Vista icons, including overlays. I have quite a few more to work on, and when I have all I can gather, I'll zip the package directory. Depending on availability, we could merge together all sorts of "standard" icon collections, (Windows Vista, Gnome, KDE, OSX, etc.).

EDIT: Emphasis on "collecting". I've been making these packages from existing images.

EDIT: File taken out to avoid copyright issues.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 17:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #21995 is a reply to message #21990] Sun, 14 June 2009 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Just to add more icon images to the mix.

Here's a zipped package ("Alternative Art") consisting only of two .iml files: the one from the post above, with 48x48 images (WinVistaImages.iml), and another one consisting of modern 16x16 button images (WinVistaBarIcons.iml).

Regards,
Francisco

EDIT: File taken out to avoid copyright issues.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 17:13]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22001 is a reply to message #21995] Sun, 14 June 2009 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Francisco

They are very good.

Is it possible to use them (license...)?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22004 is a reply to message #22001] Sun, 14 June 2009 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hello,

I got these originally in .png format, from a .NET coding friend who got them from the Visual Studio image library.

The ReadMe file states:
Use Restrictions:

These common elements are to be used in the development and illustration of new custom imagery. As part of a visual language, these images (or any part of the images) must be used in a manner consistent with the name of the file, which is self-descriptive of the action, or verb, that the imagery represents.

There is no license notice included in the zip, so it seems that the only use restriction is that these images should be used consistently.

EDIT: Found the license terms somewhere online. The Image Library is considered "Distritutable Code", which is open to copying, distributing and modifying, with a few restrictions.

Distributable Code:

The software contains code that you are permitted to distribute in programs you develop if
you comply with the terms below.
Image Library. You may copy and distribute images and animations in the Image Library as described in
the software documentation. You may also modify that content. If you modify the content, it must be for
use that is consistent with the permitted use of the unmodified content.
Distribution Restrictions. You may not
• alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in the Distributable Code;
• use Microsoft’s trademarks in your programs’ names or in a way that suggests your programs come from or
are endorsed by Microsoft;
• distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than Microsoft operating systems, run-time
technologies or application platforms;
• include Distributable Code in malicious, deceptive or unlawful programs; or
• modify or distribute the source code of any Distributable Code so that any part of it becomes subject to an
Excluded License. An Excluded License is one that requires, as a condition of use, modification or
distribution, that
• the code be disclosed or distributed in source code form; or
• others have the right to modify it.

EDIT: I see the confusion caused by my wording. While I've been making (in the way of compiling together) this U++ package, I'm not the author of these icons. I edited my post above to clarify this.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 June 2009 17:25]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22014 is a reply to message #22004] Sun, 14 June 2009 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

use Microsoft�s trademarks in your programs� names or in a way that suggests your programs come from or
are endorsed by Microsoft;

Showstopper...

Mirek
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22018 is a reply to message #22014] Sun, 14 June 2009 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

and > distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than Microsoft operating systems, run-time

Looks like a showstopper also Smile

Mirek, an Art package (although I don't know what it means, in term of development effort) look like a good step, does that mean anyone will be able to create new 'themes' for TheIde that include all icons ?

That would be great, in my opinion.

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22019 is a reply to message #22004] Sun, 14 June 2009 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Oooh!

• distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than Microsoft operating systems, run-time

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22021 is a reply to message #22018] Sun, 14 June 2009 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
skyhawk wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 15:57

and > distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than Microsoft operating systems, run-time

Looks like a showstopper also Smile

Mirek, an Art package (although I don't know what it means, in term of development effort) look like a good step, does that mean anyone will be able to create new 'themes' for TheIde that include all icons ?

That would be great, in my opinion.

Gr,

Jan

Depends. "art" is a uppsrc directory that is supposed to contain visual enhancements (icons, chameleon styles...)

Mirek
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22032 is a reply to message #22021] Mon, 15 June 2009 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Yes, apparently they can't be used after all Sad It is a shame.
I'm removing them from my app now, and making new icons from scratch by myself.

They're certainly not as good as the other ones, but I think they're functional. You can check them in the attached new_upp.iml file. These ones have no obscure license attached, guaranteed. Wink
  • Attachment: new_upp.iml
    (Size: 48.08KB, Downloaded 316 times)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22038 is a reply to message #22032] Mon, 15 June 2009 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello ptDev

They look good and are much richer than the default icons.

I would use them and I wait for your new releases.

If they can be in some kind of "Art" package with different sets of icons and art it would be great.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22069 is a reply to message #22038] Tue, 16 June 2009 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hello to all,

I am now sending you a zip with an icon art package, which I hope will be found useful in Ultimate++ applications in general. It includes those images I made during the weekend, plus quite a few new ones.

Quote:

The art is contained in a Ultimate++ package, in theIDE image editor format - the same tool used to draw them. This package is a permanent work in progress, and as such, new icons will be added from time to time. Also included in this package is a file with icon elements (elements.iml) that may be combined to make additional icons.

Once built, the package allows you to import BarArt images in three different sizes, each corresponding to a different image class: BarArt16, BarArt32 and BarArt48. You may, however, prefer to import individual icons to your own packages as needed.

For example, should you want to use the 32x32 Calculator icon, just enter BarArt32::Calculator() where the API expects a reference to an Image.

To use, add the BarArt package to your own, and #include <BarArt/BarArt.h>

The available methods, common to all supplied BarArt image classes are listed below, and their names are self-explanatory:

New()
Open()
Save()
Undo()
Redo()
Cut()
Copy()
Settings()

If anyone tries to compile theIDE with some of these new icons, it might be interesting to post a screenshot, so that we can see how it would look with them. Have fun. Smile

Regards,
Francisco
  • Attachment: BarArt.zip
    (Size: 359.44KB, Downloaded 317 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 23:37]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22073 is a reply to message #22069] Tue, 16 June 2009 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I've tried replacing some of the icons

screenshot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1798&private=0

Personally, I think it shows the potential of TheIde to look good is there. I'm not happy about all icons being tilted to the right, what is with that?

Mirek: could we use 48x48 icons and make the height on the toolbar adjustable? (so the icons and scaled up or down accordingly?)

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 18:30]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22074 is a reply to message #22073] Tue, 16 June 2009 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Too make the comparison fair, i've replaced the icons in theIde with 16x16 BarArt icon here.

I think the BarArt icons look good, don't get get me wrong, but what is it that the silk icons have that make then look so much better, even though they are 16x16 too ??

(the icons in the greenish border are from
http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/ )

index.php?t=getfile&id=1799&private=0

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 18:46]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22075 is a reply to message #22073] Tue, 16 June 2009 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Quote:

Personally, I think it shows the potential of TheIde to look good is there. I'm not happy about all icons being tilted to the right, what is with that?

Mirek: could we use 48x48 icons and make the height on the toolbar adjustable? (so the icons and scaled up or down accordingly?)

Gr,

Jan

Thanks for trying them.

I was having second thoughts about my decision to use tilted icons myself, but your second opinion seals the deal. I'll fix this. It's better to make straight versions for some icons, where being tilted ends up looking bad, and make the tilted version not the default for those. I need to find a compromise in the design somehow. The icons you showed, for example, should be "straight".

Note that you can always copy icon parts from the elements.iml file, paste them together and leave them straight, if you'd like to try some differently.

Thanks for the feedback. Smile

EDIT: Whoa, those Silk ones are really nice! Where did you find them? I'll pack those in another class. Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 16 June 2009 18:49]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22076 is a reply to message #22075] Tue, 16 June 2009 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'm also missing a few essential TheIde icons, like:

- the "C" Source icon
- the "Package" icon
- the "Bomb" icon

the C and Package icon are used a lot,
so I think it's important they look especially good.

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22081 is a reply to message #22076] Tue, 16 June 2009 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Promising Member
Hi again,

I have fixed my library: my icons are all straight now, the "tilted" ones have been given a 't' prefix. The most important icons have been added (source and header files, compile, 2 versions of rebuild, and a few others). I'm too tired to make the "package" icon now, but I'll upload it tomorrow.

Furthermore, I also added to the package the Silk icon library from the link given on the top posts. To access those icons, use the Silk class. The methods have the same name as the original .png files, except for new.png and delete.png, for obvious reasons: those have been named new_() and delete_().

It should now be easy to test both sets of icons, but anybody planning to use the Silk set should contact their author.

Quote:

#include <BarArt/BarArt.h> // BarArt48, BarArt32, BarArt16 sets
#include <BarArt/Silk.h> // Silk set

Regards,
Francisco
  • Attachment: BarArt.zip
    (Size: 872.00KB, Downloaded 317 times)
Previous Topic: An unimportant bug - Clicking detail arrow when debugging crashes TheIDE
Next Topic: PROPOSAL: "MyClass + MyClassTest" Template in TheIDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:52:30 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01133 seconds