Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Suggestion: cross-platform "U++ package" file type.
Suggestion: cross-platform "U++ package" file type. [message #22143] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:18 Go to next message
ptDev is currently offline  ptDev
Promising Member
I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think it might be useful.

Why not create a standard, compressed "package" file format that theide would be capable to install automatically?

This package format would just consist of the package's directory, compressed (plus perhaps a simple descriptor file).

For example, under Windows, I would be able to double-click an arbitrary "new_package.zup" (Zipped Ultimate++ Package), and either theIDE or a standalone package manager would ask me under which nest would I like to install (extract) it in, or whether I would like to create a new nest for it.

Any missing package needed can generate a warning upon installation, by simply checking the .upp file and searching for present packages.

Likewise, this would allow one to easily export any active package to a zipped package and even certain small conveniences such as being able email it automatically to a fellow developer from whithin theIDE.

The same behaviour can be obtained under Gnome and KDE, so this would make it a bit easier to exchange software source code.

Thoughts?
Re: Suggestion: cross-platform "U++ package" file type. [message #22174 is a reply to message #22143] Mon, 22 June 2009 10:08 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ptDev wrote on Fri, 19 June 2009 09:18

I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think it might be useful.

Why not create a standard, compressed "package" file format that theide would be capable to install automatically?

This package format would just consist of the package's directory, compressed (plus perhaps a simple descriptor file).

For example, under Windows, I would be able to double-click an arbitrary "new_package.zup" (Zipped Ultimate++ Package), and either theIDE or a standalone package manager would ask me under which nest would I like to install (extract) it in, or whether I would like to create a new nest for it.

Any missing package needed can generate a warning upon installation, by simply checking the .upp file and searching for present packages.

Likewise, this would allow one to easily export any active package to a zipped package and even certain small conveniences such as being able email it automatically to a fellow developer from whithin theIDE.

The same behaviour can be obtained under Gnome and KDE, so this would make it a bit easier to exchange software source code.

Thoughts?

IMO:

Sound idea, but at this moment perhaps a little bit premature.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Cursor select behaviour; feature request
Next Topic: Editing Python scripts in TheIde
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:16:43 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05476 seconds