Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » u++ rules
u++ rules [message #1823] Tue, 21 March 2006 17:29 Go to next message
lindquist is currently offline  lindquist
Hi all.

I found Ultimate++ a few weeks ago looking for a good GUI toolkit for my 3D heightmap editor.

My first thought about your "rapid development" in C++ postulate was: "yeah right...", but I must say I'm convinced.

I managed to get up and running extremely fast and I now agree that this library has a somewhat scripting like speed of implementation.

The only thing I dont like is the naming. I'm personally very careful not to litter the global namespace when writing libraries and place everything inside namespaces. I would really have like CtrlLib to fit inside a Ctrl namespace:

Ctrl::TopWindow etc. but I know this is a matter of personal opinion, and UPP is still way too powerful to give up for such reasons.

I'm definitely going to use UPP for my future GUI apps.

So thank you all UPP devs for this great library. I really hope you get the GL control implemented for X11 soon ;)

Thanx,
- Tomas
Re: u++ rules [message #1824 is a reply to message #1823] Tue, 21 March 2006 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lindquist wrote on Tue, 21 March 2006 11:29

The only thing I dont like is the naming. I'm personally very careful not to litter the global namespace when writing libraries and place everything inside namespaces. I would really have like CtrlLib to fit inside a Ctrl namespace:

Well, we are not ignorant of namespaces. We have considered them each single year of U++ development - in early years, namespaces were not used because of compilers unable to deal with some template constructs with namespaces. Later we hesitated to introduce them because of little gains and too much trouble.

Anyway, I am afraid that this starts to be more serious problem now, so I think you can expect "upp::" namespace to happen sooner or later (perhaps Q2 or Q3 / 2006) - of course, as long as no serious problem blocks that...

Mirek
Re: u++ rules [message #1826 is a reply to message #1824] Tue, 21 March 2006 19:06 Go to previous message
lindquist is currently offline  lindquist
this sounds very good Smile
Previous Topic: JX reviews U++ ;)
Next Topic: It is needed to write a press release about the release of upp-602
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:33:14 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01637 seconds