Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » General FIND/REPLACE/FIND_AGAIN refactoring
General FIND/REPLACE/FIND_AGAIN refactoring [message #23059] Sat, 12 September 2009 20:12 Go to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi,

The 'REPLACE IN SELECTION' popup is very annoying when it appears when what you really wanted to do is find the selected text in the file.

Evolution proposition:

• Add an additional shortcut for the 'FIND IN SELECTED TEXT' different from the 'FIND TEXT' one.
  • When text is selected, it is automaticaly put in the 'FIND TEXT' popup
  • When text is selected the 'FIND NEXT' feature searches this text instead of the previous searched texted

These simple enhancements would make the 'find next' feature very very practical and avoid unwanted behaviour

Is this acceptable ?

Re: General FIND/REPLACE/FIND_AGAIN refactoring [message #23069 is a reply to message #23059] Mon, 14 September 2009 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Quote:

The 'REPLACE IN SELECTION' popup is very annoying when it appears when what you really wanted to do is find the selected text in the file.

Yes, it been nagging me since it's addition. I tried to use it for a while to see if I can adapt to it, but it never helps me, in those weeks I didn't need replace in selection at all, I did need only find, or s&r global.

There's also something very annoying about hot keys+focus when you do first search(or replace?) and want to do another one, can't recall what exactly, because I learned to work around that, but I think the Find/Replace is way too much different from other applications, and I didn't find any advantage in that difference.

Quote:

When text is selected, it is automaticaly put in the 'FIND TEXT' popup

This would be preferred by me too.

Quote:

When text is selected the 'FIND NEXT' feature searches this text instead of the previous searched texted

This is a bit novel approach, so I feel a bit uneasy about this one, but you never know until you really try. Grin

I will try to write down use-cases how *I* do use find&replace, and post them here later.
Re: General FIND/REPLACE/FIND_AGAIN refactoring [message #23229 is a reply to message #23069] Thu, 01 October 2009 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ruimg is currently offline  Ruimg
Promising Member
Hi

I'm using version 1579. Search functionality is a real plain.

I cant search a simple expression (CTRL+F) with some text selected brings up the supposed Find Dialog, but it has only the option to replace. Mad Arrrggg....

Voting to solve this one.

Thanks
Re: General FIND/REPLACE/FIND_AGAIN refactoring [message #23371 is a reply to message #23059] Wed, 14 October 2009 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kov_serg is currently offline  kov_serg
UppWin-1607 the same problem Ctrl-F replacing text. This "feature" spoils me some source files Sad

For example

if (!check_function(&arg)) { do_some_thing(); }

after Ctrf-F changed into

if (!(&arg)) { do_some_thing(); }

with out any prompt. Even more programm still compile, work but in different way! And this code bugs could be found only using text comparing. Or worse they could stay undetected, until too late.
This theature is too anoing. So I am still using older version Sad

Another new feature is ancors in designer. Why check button does not enabled by default?
Re: General FIND/REPLACE/FIND_AGAIN refactoring [message #23372 is a reply to message #23059] Wed, 14 October 2009 11:23 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Another vote about this. I think actual Ctrl-F behaviour is not appropriate.

I vote for this Ctrl-F behaviour:

Quote:

# When text is selected, it is automaticaly put in the 'FIND TEXT' popup
# When text is selected the 'FIND NEXT' feature searches this text instead of the previous searched texted

I also agree with this:

Quote:

I cant search a simple expression (CTRL+F) with some text selected brings up the supposed Find Dialog, but it has only the option to replace. Mad Arrrggg....

and this. Now I understand some problems I have had in the last weeks:
Quote:

This "feature" spoils me some source files Crying or Very Sad

In addition. I agree with this opinion:
Quote:

Another new feature is ancors in designer. Why check button does not enabled by default?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
IƱaki
Previous Topic: Proposals on TheIDE interface polishing
Next Topic: Running a custom preprocessor on your sources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:28:36 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03212 seconds