Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML
VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #23608] Wed, 04 November 2009 11:17 Go to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
hi there

i am struggeling with the iml stuff. got a sample down attached.
a project, which is barely a template CtrlLib project with main window and an iml file includes another project, which is also a bare Template CtrlLib project, with another iml file, they are kept seperately, i dont mix them , nether include header of the included project, simply include the project in package organizer.

compiled with MINGW DEBUG, with the release shipped in upp 2008.1 and all shared, release version 1659

starting the application under VISTA goes well, but it crashes ugly when closing it. using a smaller (or the original includen iml from template, with a dummy image inside) goes well. this occures only under vista, NOT under XP pro or home.

NO IDEA about that. guess its due to some kind of memory alignment, allocation or related problems when using the iml. maybe the iml is too huge...

for security reasons i included the exe also in the zip, soto verify. --> had to go, file size limit 2097152 bytes Smile

is there anything i have forgotten???

greets

PS: using the zip: simply extrct into MyApps and use CtrlLibTest, which uses the CtrlTest2. compile MINGW DEBUG all shared and run under vista (home premium)
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #23609 is a reply to message #23608] Wed, 04 November 2009 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Wed, 04 November 2009 05:17

hi there

i am struggeling with the iml stuff. got a sample down attached.
a project, which is barely a template CtrlLib project with main window and an iml file includes another project, which is also a bare Template CtrlLib project, with another iml file, they are kept seperately, i dont mix them , nether include header of the included project, simply include the project in package organizer.

compiled with MINGW DEBUG, with the release shipped in upp 2008.1 and all shared, release version 1659

starting the application under VISTA goes well, but it crashes ugly when closing it. using a smaller (or the original includen iml from template, with a dummy image inside) goes well. this occures only under vista, NOT under XP pro or home.

NO IDEA about that. guess its due to some kind of memory alignment, allocation or related problems when using the iml. maybe the iml is too huge...

for security reasons i included the exe also in the zip, soto verify. --> had to go, file size limit 2097152 bytes Smile

is there anything i have forgotten???

greets

PS: using the zip: simply extrct into MyApps and use CtrlLibTest, which uses the CtrlTest2. compile MINGW DEBUG all shared and run under vista (home premium)

No problem with XP and MSC Sad

Mirek
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #23610 is a reply to message #23608] Wed, 04 November 2009 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
hi mirek

yes not problem with msc at all, neither under vista..

i found out with testing that, using simple 32 images, 1 px wide enad height, no problem, but as soon as there is 33 such pics, (or actually any kind of, but more than 32 pics) it crashes.

but as i said, MINGW DEBUG (release also i think) under VISTA.

is there some kind of restriction in the iml parsing stuff (i found in the iml_source some hints of 32 beeing kind of a limit of a IMAGE_DATA...

as a workaround, one could use multiple iml, with not more than 32 pics, but it should be made clear to the publics Smile
PS: a test iml file with 32 1px pics attached
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #23611 is a reply to message #23610] Wed, 04 November 2009 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Wed, 04 November 2009 05:52

hi mirek

yes not problem with msc at all, neither under vista..

i found out with testing that, using simple 32 images, 1 px wide enad height, no problem, but as soon as there is 33 such pics, (or actually any kind of, but more than 32 pics) it crashes.

but as i said, MINGW DEBUG (release also i think) under VISTA.

is there some kind of restriction in the iml parsing stuff (i found in the iml_source some hints of 32 beeing kind of a limit of a IMAGE_DATA...

as a workaround, one could use multiple iml, with not more than 32 pics, but it should be made clear to the publics Smile
PS: a test iml file with 32 1px pics attached

Nonsense. See .imls in CtrlLib. Must be something else.

My bet is some issue related to destruction of .imls. Have you tried to debug it and spot the crash place?

Mirek
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #23612 is a reply to message #23611] Wed, 04 November 2009 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
was only a guess Smile

i used profiler from dependency walker to analyse the start and quit of the CtrlLibTest.exe

here comes the result it's doooooown down after detach of mingw10.dll, seems to be in the NT stuff somewhere.

for me unfindable. i'm not an expert in that sense.

thanks mirek
  • Attachment: profiling.txt
    (Size: 64.70KB, Downloaded 485 times)
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24016 is a reply to message #23612] Thu, 17 December 2009 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i think this problem is also related to what is found in
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=228 00&
and
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=233 52&#msg_23352

so using another gcc version like the current TDM one might solve the problem, i'll try to investigate
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24017 is a reply to message #24016] Thu, 17 December 2009 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello kohait00

If you want you can send your updated sources and I can try them with MinGW TDM.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24018 is a reply to message #24017] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
hi koldo, thanks for help.

actually there's no code change needed. simply follow my first post. the Test project should be *compiled* under WinXP (dont know if it makes difference if home or pro) and *run* under Win Vista. on quit it should crash. if you compile and run Vista, there seems to be no problem with it. its srange.

so i think the error is really related to memory stuff, maybe even with UPP HEAP, have not tried USEMALLOC. i will try that though..
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24020 is a reply to message #24018] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
well i took a look in the code in the Defs.h,
USEMALLOC is defined for MINGW anyway, so UPP HEAP isn't used there anyway.

but it still can be the problem with the mingw bugs mentioned.
curious how your test will terminate..
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24021 is a reply to message #24020] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
CORRECTION: it even crashes compiling MINGW dbeug on vista itself. there using the release 2008.1/mingw
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24025 is a reply to message #24021] Fri, 18 December 2009 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Ok, thanks to koldo, who provided me a TDM MINGW compiled version of the CtrlTest.exe, the error DID NOT occure anymore. so it seems to realy be related to the buggy MINGW.

koldo, please post a downloadlink to your used MINGW environment or is it the current TDM 4.4.1 second release?

thank you very much for assistance.

==> seems the Upp release needs a new MINGW package to ship with.. would make sense, right?
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24027 is a reply to message #24025] Fri, 18 December 2009 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i tried it now mself, downloading the TDM current release
from

http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/

or direct link

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdm-gcc/files/TDM-MinGW%20In staller/1.908.0/tdm-mingw-1.908.0-4.4.1-2.exe/download

and it works fine without crash
thanks, i'll be using TDM gcc now Smile
Re: VISTA BUG: crash of App when closing due to IML [message #24058 is a reply to message #24027] Wed, 23 December 2009 10:48 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek

As usually MinGW TDM is the most complete MinGW version and in our case the only one that permits MT, perhaps it would be good to indicate it in the web page and documentation.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Find / Replace keyboard settings (and bug?)
Next Topic: new feature request, find next error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 19:38:50 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04392 seconds