Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » thanks for a great project
thanks for a great project [message #137] Sun, 27 November 2005 13:03 Go to next message
mouser is currently offline  mouser
really really looking forward to seeing ultimate++ grow. it's a fantastic idea and you guys are doing great.
Re: thanks for a great project [message #258 is a reply to message #137] Mon, 05 December 2005 14:03 Go to previous message
amea is currently offline  amea
Promising Member
Yep have to agree! UPP is a really great project.

I am familiar with OSS devlopment tools. Just spent the best part of a month reviewing again for a project. It's not a very big project, but there are specific issues - deployment, database support, printing support, graphing and of courses the GUI.

It surprised me how many trade-offs have to be made to use Open Source development tools. There a problems with UI design, and 'basic' utilities such as printing. Deployment is a real pain in the ass for most of the tools. Have looked at Python , Tcl-Tk, Ruby, Rebol. Non was able to meet my needs. Cannot afford either cost or overhead of MS tools and likewise the overhead of the VM in Java is a problem.

Would be good to have cross-platform for Mac OSX.

May be able to help with numrical / statistical library after this project is over in the New Year. Don't know if this is of use to anybody. Also, may put together tutorials on designing project from scratch as I think this is badly needed in all OSS dev tools projects.

Anyway, great project, great widgets...not sure I'd worry too much about native stuff...and nice editor. BTW think creating Rich Edit and PDF support from beginning was really good idea. Ir's surprising how many tools leave this stuff out, but it's widely used!

Shocked
Previous Topic: where are the comments in the sources!!!???
Next Topic: worthy points?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:44:07 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00817 seconds