Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Callbacks and Timers » Virtual functions versus callbacks
Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24202] Tue, 05 January 2010 09:59 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

To let the program do actions after events I have seen there are two options in Upp:

- To use "virtual" functions
For example to get the "enter" key in an EditField it is necessary to do a derived class
that catches virtual bool Key(dword key, int rep);

- To use callback
For example to do something after clicking in an ArrayCtrl it could be done by assigning a callback function to "WhenLeftClick".

From the user (programmer) point of view it seems better callback functions as you do not need to do derived classes every time you need a certain response after a Ctrl event.

Personally I stronger prefer callback but, what do you think about it ?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24204 is a reply to message #24202] Tue, 05 January 2010 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Tue, 05 January 2010 03:59

Hello all

To let the program do actions after events I have seen there are two options in Upp:

For example to get the "enter" key in an EditField it is necessary to do a derived class

- To use callback
For example to do something after clicking in an ArrayCtrl it could be done by assigning a callback function to "WhenLeftClick".

From the user (programmer) point of view it seems better callback functions as you do not need to do derived classes every time you need a certain response after a Ctrl event.

Best regards
Koldo

In my upp sources EditField has WhenEnter callback. I guess it could be added to the main tree as now I can see I'm not the only one who needs it Smile
Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24213 is a reply to message #24202] Tue, 05 January 2010 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
There are two additional options you missed out:

3- Catch unhandled key presses in the Ctrls owner/parent. ie:
virtual void Key(dword key, int count)
{
    if (key == K_RETURN && password_field.HasFocus())
       login.PseudoPush();
    else
       return false;
    return true;
}
Since you'd have to declare a new function to handle a callback anyway this isn't really any extra code.

4- Create a simple template to automate callback functionality:
template <class T>
struct WithCallbacks : public T {
   Callback WhenLeftDown

virtual void LeftDown(Point p, dword keyflags) { WhenLeftDown(); }
}
WithCallbacks<ArrayCtrl> array;
Given all the possible methods it doesn't seem worth retro-actively adding callbacks everywhere.

OTOH, the K_RETURN event for EditField is common enough to warrant it's addition. It should be called WhenReturn or maybe WhenKeyReturn to match the key enum though. WhenEnter is too easy to confuse with the focus changing IMO.

Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24218 is a reply to message #24202] Wed, 06 January 2010 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

The general idea I wanted to share with you is that to use Control events we use or virtual functions or callbacks.

For me callbacks are easier because they do not require to do new classes... just assign the callback to your function.

Is it this way or there are other advantages of virtual functions over callbacks ?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24219 is a reply to message #24218] Wed, 06 January 2010 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
IMO the difference is that Callbacks are intended for communication between classes/Ctrls and are defined by the Ctrl. Callbacks are usually for actions that imply some sort of state change or contextual (wrong word maybe?) function of the Ctrl.

The virtual methods are the way in which a Ctrl interfaces internally with the underlying GUI/OS and is essentially a cleaner replacement of the message loop. The functions sometimes pass additional information that wouldn't be useful or needed externally.

Example of Callbacks:
WhenAction
WhenAcceptEdit

Example of virtual function:
LeftDown
GotFocus

While there are occasions when the developer might requrie some additional comunication from a Ctrl (ie a Callback) that is the exception rather than the rule in my experience and as demonstrated it is not difficult to add.

I think the current way works very well. Adding Callbacks for all events would just expose a lot of internal message stuff that wouldn't be used very often at the expense of making derived Ctrls more difficult.

IMO obviously, only Mirek could give a definitive answer.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 January 2010 11:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24220 is a reply to message #24219] Wed, 06 January 2010 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Thank you Mrjt
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24238 is a reply to message #24204] Wed, 06 January 2010 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Tue, 05 January 2010 04:36

koldo wrote on Tue, 05 January 2010 03:59

Hello all

- To use callback

Best regards
Koldo

In my upp sources EditField has WhenEnter callback. I guess it could be added to the main tree as now I can see I'm not the only one who needs it Smile

Just to be sure, if callback is empty, Enter is ignored and passed to the parent?

Mirek
Re: Virtual functions versus callbacks [message #24239 is a reply to message #24219] Wed, 06 January 2010 22:11 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Wed, 06 January 2010 05:29

IMO obviously, only Mirek could give a definitive answer.

I would say that

- virtual methods are fine for representing input interface
- callbacks are good for representing output interface
Previous Topic: mini BUGFIX in CallbackArgTarget
Next Topic: extracted Timer from Ctrl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:46:21 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01978 seconds