Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Newbie Corner
Newbie Corner [message #24208] Tue, 05 January 2010 15:12 Go to next message
MAD!C is currently offline  MAD!C
Promising Member
hello!

i am new to this forum and to upp. i quit programming more than 10 years ago, but i ever felt like coding again - can´t help it, can´t quit thinking in code. so i am about to jump in all this again.

searching for a lean, smart, flexible and portable dev system i came across upp and - wow - got very impressed by upp features! hats off! i hope, it turns out to be the right choice for a new start.

however, having used c++ for console applications only, i am quite new to this message driven gui concept. despite plenty of tutorials i hope you wouldn´t mind me asking some newbish questions... be certain i´ve been giving my best searching the web for answers Rolling Eyes

so my questions are:

1. i miss something like SetPixel(x,y,c) - for the moment i use DrawLine(x,y,x,y+1,c) instead, but somehow i feel this is not very clever...

2. oh my Embarassed how can i call the designer on a .lay file?

3. playing around with some fractal graphics, i settled the rendering within the paint method - making me wait to finish rendering before any input message could be processed, e.g. to close the window or change it´s size...
is there any simpler approach than jumping into multithreading?
i think of calling the eventloop from within my rendering loop, or maybe to use a timer... but i´m not sure if there are any appropriate gui methods around or if i overlook something very simple... you see my lack of gui-experience? what would you propose?

thank you!
Re: Newbie Corner [message #24209 is a reply to message #24208] Tue, 05 January 2010 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello MADIC

Quote:

i am new to this forum and to upp. i quit programming more than 10 years ago, but i ever felt like coding again - can´t help it, can´t quit thinking in code. so i am about to jump in all this again.

searching for a lean, smart, flexible and portable dev system i came across upp and - wow - got very impressed by upp features! hats off! i hope, it turns out to be the right choice for a new start.

however, having used c++ for console applications only, i am quite new to this message driven gui concept. despite plenty of tutorials i hope you wouldn´t mind me asking some newbish questions... be certain i´ve been giving my best searching the web for answers

No problem. I felt like you one year and a half ago Smile.

Quote:

1. i miss something like SetPixel(x,y,c) - for the moment i use DrawLine(x,y,x,y+1,c) instead, but somehow i feel this is not very clever..

See this: http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$Draw$ImgTutorial$en-us.html and read "3. Creating and altering images in the code using ImageBuffer"

Quote:

2. oh my Smile how can i call the designer on a .lay file?

See this: http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$FAQ$en-us.html and read "How to start the layout (image) designer?"

Probably you will get better answers... but I think these are not bad Smile.

... and you are welcome !

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Newbie Corner [message #24215 is a reply to message #24209] Tue, 05 January 2010 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAD!C is currently offline  MAD!C
Promising Member
koldo,

thanks for your quick pointers.

strange - layout designer now just appears on one click - i swear, there was no reaction after ide installation, yesterday... nevermind, it made me ask silly questions, now it works Laughing

and wow, this image buffer thing is really fast. also seems to be the right way to render my fractals... still wonder what the pros regard as the simple way to watch the rendering evolve while having a responsive window?

is it possible to call event processing from within my rendering loop? would this be a good idea? which method would i call?

Re: Newbie Corner [message #24217 is a reply to message #24215] Wed, 06 January 2010 09:44 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello MADIC

Quote:

is it possible to call event processing from within my rendering loop? would this be a good idea? which method would i call?

I am not the better to answer this but, you could try, every loop to do a ProcessEvents() to the buttons you want to control or a general Ctrl::ProcessEvents();

I worked for years using VisualBasic Twisted Evil and I was used to use DoEvents(). Now I use threads because the implementation is easy to use and the examples are simple. But perhaps you would want to wait for it some time to be more "instructed" in Upp.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: My new OSS project...
Next Topic: Image04 picture viewer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:03:55 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01685 seconds