Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)?
How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)? [message #24797] Sat, 30 January 2010 15:16 Go to next message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
A "patented ten-step method" on how to free a project of unwelcome community involvement:

http://lwn.net/Articles/370157/

After reading this article, what could be improved in Ultimate++? What could become more community friendly?
Re: How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)? [message #24808 is a reply to message #24797] Sat, 30 January 2010 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
#1 - by not dropping mingw bundled .exe installs we would avoid this completely. Even in current state upp does require only very little to be run & extended by community.
Well, the svn commit strategy and patch pushing isn't that easy, but that's understandable, as u++ is owned by core devs, not community, and if such shift ever happens, it will require lot of other stuff to be changed/defined to perform at least as good as the core devs are doing now.

#3 affects upp (the first part, lack of docs&rules)

we don't have #8, but if you would exchange the "license" with "project name", then it's spot on.
(if Mirek will read this, there's a u++ package in debian already, so I think this rules out u++, upp is probably the way to go)

Can't see others seriously affecting u++, so ... well, this is truly impressive and I think Mirek is doing very well considering the amount of times these things take to handle, and he's also developer + has to work on commercial projects too.
Re: How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)? [message #24809 is a reply to message #24808] Sat, 30 January 2010 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Quote:

I think Mirek is doing very well

Yes I completely agree !

And we practically don't see any whining ( protestations ). Most people on this forum try to contribute.

Maybe it's an exception Wink
Re: How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)? [message #24813 is a reply to message #24808] Sun, 31 January 2010 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Sat, 30 January 2010 17:19

#1 - by not dropping mingw bundled .exe installs we would avoid this completely.

'Major' releases still have mingw installs.

Quote:

Well, the svn commit strategy and patch pushing isn't that easy, but that's understandable, as u++ is owned by core devs, not community,

Uhm, almost any open-source project limits write access to svn. The only difference here is that we have fine-grained approach (more levels of access) and that the number of core developers is low.

That said, we can even improve. E.g. I am considering that theide related packages are more open, if anybody would request access there. Hars restriction is only needed for packages that are included in apps developed.
Re: How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)? [message #24837 is a reply to message #24813] Mon, 01 February 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
#1 - We've come along way in this regard. TheIDE is no longer the only method to build your packages. Exported makefiles work fine. And SVN is used instead of ultimate Version Control.

#3 - I hear a lot of talk around here about how we are lacking documentation. Yet, I think we are one of the better documented OSS projects out there. All major and common parts of the API are IMO sufficiently documented for new comers to not fell lost. They will of course need a little curiosity and tolerance for experimentation. There is more space for improvement, but I think that the hardest part is behind us.

The rest of the points don't really apply to us. Does that mean we have a healthy community? Smile
Re: How to destroy your community (lwn.net article)? [message #24842 is a reply to message #24797] Mon, 01 February 2010 13:36 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
cbpporter: the #3 is about docs about contributing to project. I.e. what to download, how to propose the patch, who is responsible for judging, where/when the patch is applied, etc.

The docs about using U++ are now quite ok. And there are still often nice improvements to it, so it's better every day, so maybe it will become excellent one day.
Previous Topic: SVN hooks
Next Topic: U++ for newbees
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:58:56 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01094 seconds