Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » How to update main thread UI when runing other thread
How to update main thread UI when runing other thread [message #24964] Sat, 06 February 2010 10:17 Go to next message
jiuzhi is currently offline  jiuzhi
Promising Member
Thread work;
engine->working(true);
work.Run(callback(engine,&hEngine::getData));//-getData will do some UI refresh;
while (engine->working()){
  Refresh();//It cann't update UI here;
  Sleep(100);
}

I have thought of a solution is packaged into a function, and create a new Thread to run it;But it is too cumbersome.
In MFC,I can use PeekMessage;
In delphi,I can use Application.ProcessMessage;
Is there a similar solution in u++?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 February 2010 10:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to update main thread UI when runing other thread [message #24965 is a reply to message #24964] Sat, 06 February 2010 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
jiuzhi wrote on Sat, 06 February 2010 04:17

Thread work;
engine->working(true);
work.Run(callback(engine,&hEngine::getData));//-getData will do some UI refresh;
while (engine->working()){
  Refresh();//It cann't update UI here;
  Sleep(100);
}

I have thought of a solution is packaged into a function, and create a new Thread to run it;But it is too cumbersome.
In MFC,I can use PeekMessage;
In delphi,I can use Application.ProcessMessage;
Is there a similar solution in u++?

I am not quite sure what the problem is. However, here are several hints:

First, in U++, only main thread does GUI.

PostCallback - any thread can post a callback that gets executed in the main thread

GuiLock - any thread can access GUI objects directly

Ctrl::Call - you can even "call" routines in the main thread. This is done by placing callback to the queue and waiting until it gets processed by the main thread. In fact, most calls to Ctrl routines, like performing message loop, automatically redirect to the main thread using this Call (or similiar ICall).

Please check these examples:

reference/GuiLock
reference/GuiMT
Re: How to update main thread UI when runing other thread [message #24969 is a reply to message #24964] Sat, 06 February 2010 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
I take a look at GuiMT. But it isn't what I want.In GuiMT,it create a task thread,But it does not need to wait for returned results
What I mean is waiting a task thread do a task and return result to main thread block;
The task thread use GuiLock to refresh UI.But under U++,when main thread waiting,the task thread call Ctrl::Refresh look does not work.
In U++,I can only find a way to do this job,create task thread,and then create a waiting thread.It is cumbersome.
I cann't write code to be waiting in the main thread,otherwise the task thread cann't refresh UI.

in delphi, only main thread does GUI too.But it can do this job in the main thread.
begin ///this block run in the main thread
  create and run task thread......
  Application.processmessage;///refresh UI immediately. In U++,it does not work.
  do some job......
end

OR:
begin ///this block run in the main thread
  while not result do begin ///wait the task thread result and refresh UI.  In U++, this will lock the GUI,other threads try to refresh the interface does not work
     sleep(100);
     Application.processmessage;///In delphi,this code is used to process GUI message in the main thread
  end;
  do some job......
end

What I would like to know is the routine which does the same function in U++ like Application.Processmessage in delphi?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 February 2010 14:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to update main thread UI when runing other thread [message #24970 is a reply to message #24964] Sat, 06 February 2010 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
In U++, I use the following method

void task_thread(){
  create and run task thread1
  create and run task thread2

create and run waiting thread
}
void wait_thread(){
  while (!result) Sleep(100);
}

it is cumbersome,There is more trouble when local variables
Re: How to update main thread UI when runing other thread [message #24977 is a reply to message #24970] Sat, 06 February 2010 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Ah, I see. the problem is not really MT, but how to process events.

Well, then maybe you are looking for

static bool Ctrl::IsWaitingEvent();
static bool Ctrl::ProcessEvent(bool *quit = NULL);
static bool Ctrl::ProcessEvents(bool *quit = NULL);

?

Mirek
Re: How to update main thread UI when runing other thread [message #52719 is a reply to message #24977] Thu, 14 November 2019 00:15 Go to previous message
xrysf03 is currently offline  xrysf03
...and almost 10 years later, Ctrl::ProcessEvents() has conjured a broad smile on my face...
Exactly what I was looking for. And I did ask Google for ProcessMessages() in U++ Very Happy
This is cool.

BTW, I'm gonna need threads too, and I'm not afraid of them. Thanks for the examples, Mirek.

Frank
Previous Topic: [SOLVED] File upload example
Next Topic: File upload to https [SOLVED]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:19:36 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01260 seconds