Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Clang vs. GCC
Clang vs. GCC [message #24994] Sat, 06 February 2010 23:10 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find any category where it would fit. I installed fresh svn version of Clang (C++ frontend for LLVM) inspired by a news that it finally can build itself. I was playing with it a bit and of course I tried to compile some U++ code.

I'm not going to talk about the compilation problems, but about interesting error that popped out. In topt.h there is this template:
template <class T>
inline void DestroyArray(T *t, const T *lim) {
	while(t < lim) {
		t->T::~T();
		t++;
	}
}
Clang complained about using this template with T=unsigned int, since "type 'unsigned int' cannot be used prior to '::' because it has no members". After this I was curious about how GCC solves this problem. Well, the answer is simple: GCC ignores it. Smile

This template is being called with T equal to types like int, const char*, void* without any problems. When I stepped through this part of code in debugger, the destructor line was simply skipped, the loop run through the given range of pointers doing nothing usefull.

My knowledge of C++ is quite limited, so I have few questions: How is that possible? Is it a GCC, Clang or U++ bug? Or is it just me, missing some deep knowledge about inlined functions, templates or some other dark corner of C++?

I hope someone can enlighten me a bit... I really like Clangs verbosity an it would be great if U++ supported it once (But rewriting half of the Core is just too high price Smile ).

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25002 is a reply to message #24994] Sun, 07 February 2010 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
IMHO in this particular case a Vector should be used instead of an Array. "unsigned int" is moveable. Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25005 is a reply to message #25002] Sun, 07 February 2010 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sat, 06 February 2010 20:01

IMHO in this particular case a Vector should be used instead of an Array. "unsigned int" is moveable. Smile

Has nothing to do with that. This support routine is in fact used for Vector implementation.
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25007 is a reply to message #24994] Sun, 07 February 2010 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I believe it is Clang bug. By C++ standard, all types, including fundemantal types, have constructor and destructor.

At the moment, I am unable to find corresponding definition in C++ language definition, closest info I have found is this:

http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=cplusplus& seqNum=431

BTW, it is in fact impossible to create container templates without this - STL has to do the same thing. Which is strange, considering Clang refusal to compile it.

Mirek
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25010 is a reply to message #25007] Sun, 07 February 2010 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
Yep it's a clang bug and a dark corner of C++.

As mentioned in that article, the standard defines a pseudo destructor (5.2.4 ) one form of which looks like this
::opt nested-name-specifier opt type-name :: ~ type-name

where the first :: and the nested-name-specifier are optional and type-name is a non-class type. The only effect is the evaluation of the post-fix expression before the arrow.

There's no such thing as a constructor for a fundamental type but the standard defines (5.2.3 / 2) that the expression T() for simple type specifier T creates an rvalue of the specified type whose value is determined by default initialization.

Graeme
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25013 is a reply to message #25007] Sun, 07 February 2010 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
This can be used to optimize the 'DestroyArray()' function by adding specialized versions for internal types.

This function could be, for example:

template <>
inline void DestroyArray<int>(T *t, const T *lim) {
		}
}

This would then get optimized out by the compiler.

This could be generalized to all internal types and factored by using a IsInternaType class:
// general case for all complex types
template<typename T>
struct IsInternalType
{
		enum { value = 0 };
};

// specialized classes for internal types
template<>
struct IsInternalType<int>
{
		enum { value = 1 };
};

template<>
struct IsInternalType<unsigned int>
{
		enum { value = 1 };
};

template<>
struct IsInternalType<float>
{
		enum { value = 1 };
};

// .....  and so on for all other types you want

// ==============================================================
//the generalized function would then become:
template <int I, class T>
	inline void _DestroyArray(T *t, const T *lim) {
		while(t < lim) {
			t->T::~T();
			t++;
		}
	}

// the specialized version (for internal types) does nothing
template <class T>
static inline void _DestroyArray(T *t, const T *lim) {}

// FINALLY THE ORIGINAL METHOD becomes this
// it automatically selects, AT COMPIL TIME, the wright function depending on it's type
template <class T>
inline void DestroyArray(T *t, const T *lim) {
		_DestroyArray< IsInternalType<T>::value, T >(t, lim);
};

NB: this could be easily extended to any custom type by writeing you're own specialized IsInternalType classe dedicated to you're type

Edit: maybe the 'IsInternalType()' function would be better named by 'HasDestructor()'

[Updated on: Sun, 07 February 2010 12:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25014 is a reply to message #25013] Sun, 07 February 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I think you way understimate the compiler here.... namely dead code elimination.

Mirek
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25016 is a reply to message #25014] Sun, 07 February 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Yes you are wright.

In this particular case the compiler will probably eliminate the loop.

But if the loop is more complex, this kind of optimization is very handy.

Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25017 is a reply to message #24994] Sun, 07 February 2010 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Wow, nice discussion. Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

The loop gets executed in debug mode. I haven't tried in optimal, but I believe it is optimized.

Template specialization is probably a way to make this work in Clang. But as I said before, that is too high price.

Fixing Clang would be better solution, should I file a bug on their site? Or probably someone who knows C++ better than me should report it Smile

I hope that Clang will be usable soon. Just on the side: What is needed to get support for new compiler? Just a build method in ide/Builders? And is there some documentation on how buildscripts work? (I mean method Script).

Honza
Re: Clang vs. GCC [message #25445 is a reply to message #25017] Wed, 24 February 2010 08:53 Go to previous message
Sgifan is currently offline  Sgifan
I read today that clang+LLVM is completely self hosting from now up.

Maybe the bug you show is still present though.

If one day clang is usable with u++ i would be curious to learn how it improves or not the compilation speed.

Thanks for the test you performed
Previous Topic: U++ for newbees
Next Topic: Note about how classic OOP with C++ fails efficiency
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:56:05 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01041 seconds