Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Microsoft Compiler Internal Error
Microsoft Compiler Internal Error [message #25480] Thu, 25 February 2010 12:22 Go to next message
frankdeprins is currently offline  frankdeprins
At some point in the U++ code, there is a code line that often (depends on build settings) raises an Internal Compiler Error for Microsoft compilers from Visual Studio/C++ 2003/2005 and 2008. This is a known problem at Microsoft an several people have reported it, not only in U++ sources. For me, it has the consequence that I cannot build theIDE.exe with MS compilers in release mode (Debug mode and any mode of Mingw works fine, but the exe is much larger and I prefer MS builds).
The solution/workaround, suggested by Microsoft, is to locally switch off code optimization.

The code where this happens in U++ is at line 54 of 'uppsrc/RichText/TextOp.cpp' and I already tried this suggestion out and attached the modified source. It 'fixes' the ICE indeed and I was wondering if you could make this change to your sources.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The ICE seems to have been fixed in Visual Studio/C++ 10 (it was still present in the beta's).
  • Attachment: TxtOp.cpp
    (Size: 8.60KB, Downloaded 292 times)
Re: Microsoft Compiler Internal Error [message #25491 is a reply to message #25480] Thu, 25 February 2010 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
frankdeprins wrote on Thu, 25 February 2010 06:22

At some point in the U++ code, there is a code line that often (depends on build settings) raises an Internal Compiler Error for Microsoft compilers from Visual Studio/C++ 2003/2005 and 2008. This is a known problem at Microsoft an several people have reported it, not only in U++ sources. For me, it has the consequence that I cannot build theIDE.exe with MS compilers in release mode (Debug mode and any mode of Mingw works fine, but the exe is much larger and I prefer MS builds).
The solution/workaround, suggested by Microsoft, is to locally switch off code optimization.

The code where this happens in U++ is at line 54 of 'uppsrc/RichText/TextOp.cpp' and I already tried this suggestion out and attached the modified source. It 'fixes' the ICE indeed and I was wondering if you could make this change to your sources.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The ICE seems to have been fixed in Visual Studio/C++ 10 (it was still present in the beta's).

Yes, I am very aware about the issue for years. However, it only happens if you use BLITZ with Optimal release mode. As Blitz is mostly reserved for debug mode, there is little incentive to fix correct code to workaround compiler bug that is not causing any real problems....

Mirek
Re: Microsoft Compiler Internal Error [message #25492 is a reply to message #25491] Thu, 25 February 2010 19:58 Go to previous message
frankdeprins is currently offline  frankdeprins
Thanks, I was not aware that leaving out Blitz solves it as well. But you are right indeed. Frankly, I have not yet looked at this Bliz stuff, what it is, what it does... That will be my next quest in my getting to know this wonderfull environment.
You guys really made something amazing.

frank
Previous Topic: [BUG] Win32DnD.cpp: tagPOINT has no member named ToString
Next Topic: compiling u++ with VC2008
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:37:23 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02458 seconds