Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » deb packages don't update user sources properly
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32340 is a reply to message #26255] Tue, 10 May 2011 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

I updated to the last built (3409). I obtain a "synchronize" dialog box, with all files to add/update/delete. Good ! But the problem is that it wants to delete all my apps and tests, even in the MyApps folder Sad

Could you add some check box to choose "(un)select all files to be deleted" ? It could do that globally, or better folder by folder. Globally would be already very usefull : I cannot uncheck manually hundreds of files that I want to keep !
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32343 is a reply to message #32340] Tue, 10 May 2011 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

jibe wrote on Tue, 10 May 2011 09:47

Hi,

I updated to the last built (3409). I obtain a "synchronize" dialog box, with all files to add/update/delete. Good ! But the problem is that it wants to delete all my apps and tests, even in the MyApps folder Sad

Could you add some check box to choose "(un)select all files to be deleted" ? It could do that globally, or better folder by folder. Globally would be already very usefull : I cannot uncheck manually hundreds of files that I want to keep !

Hi Jibe,

That is weird, it shouldn't touch the stuff in MyApps... I will have a look at it ASAP.

The "select all files" actions are good idea, I'll try to implement it soon.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32357 is a reply to message #26255] Thu, 12 May 2011 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

As we talked in PM, this is because I have the MyApp directory inside the upp tree. I'll remove it from there to solve this problem.

If you plan to add an (un)select action, maybe you could do this in a tree, to (un)select complete branches ? Just an idea...
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32366 is a reply to message #26255] Fri, 13 May 2011 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

The problem is that it wants also to delete a lot of files in "out", "tmp" and "bazaar" directories...

Maybe Ok with "tmp", but I'm afraid about bazaar : why so many files are deleted ? I'm surprised that we don't need anymore them at all... ie, it wants to delete files in bazaar/CtrlPropTest and bazaar/TabBar directories...

And as it deletes all in out directory, I'll have to recompile all my apps, with all libraries ?

I just choose to install local copy of upp... Did I do something wrong ? Why must I move MyApps when the installator put it there ? Is there other folders that I should move ?

(sorry for these newbie questions... I'm still just discovering U++)
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32368 is a reply to message #26255] Fri, 13 May 2011 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
To recompile all is anyway a very good idea, after core sources are updated. So deleting "out" is a good thing.
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32371 is a reply to message #26255] Fri, 13 May 2011 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

The thing is that for the updater to detect changes, the local source tree must be kept clean. If you add another directories in there, and they are missing in the system-wide sources (in /usr/share/upp), the updater thinks they were removed from U++ and suggest to delete them (quite correctly). I have been lately working on some improvements in the detection which might solve this, at least partialy, but it is not in state to be commited safely just yet.

I think I will also add some sort of "ignore pattern", so you could mark files/directories to be ignored by the update mechanism. That is probably the best universal solution I can think of.

Honza
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32381 is a reply to message #32368] Sat, 14 May 2011 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

mr_ped wrote on Fri, 13 May 2011 12:19

To recompile all is anyway a very good idea, after core sources are updated. So deleting "out" is a good thing.

Yes... and No ! This obliges to recompile all libraries, when maybe there is changes only in one or two test programs in the bazaar...

dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 13 May 2011 12:43

The thing is that for the updater to detect changes, the local source tree must be kept clean.

Yes. And it's true that I installed all from scratch some monthes ago, and since this time I just copied the /usr/share/upp to my upp local directory and never deleted anything... This could be the reason why there is so many things to delete...

dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 13 May 2011 12:43

I think I will also add some sort of "ignore pattern", so you could mark files/directories to be ignored by the update mechanism. That is probably the best universal solution I can think of.

Yes, I think that it's a very good idea Smile !
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32437 is a reply to message #32381] Tue, 17 May 2011 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Just committed a code bringing following changes to the source updater part of theide:
  • better algorithm for analyzing source changes
  • ability to ignore certain files/directories (using globbing patterns)
  • ability to set actions for entire directories, instead only on file level

I am pretty sure I didn't test all the possible situations and scenarios that can happen, there is just too many combinations... The most common situations I tested seem to work well, so hopefully this change won't break anything Smile

To access the features, just update as before. You will find a new context menu in "Synchronize local sources" window, it should be pretty obvious what each entry does Smile If not, experiment Wink

A picture for reference:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3248&private=0

The ignore patterns are implemented using PatternMatch function, so if you want more details on the allowed globbing patterns, read the documentation Wink

Best regards,
Honza
  • Attachment: sync.png
    (Size: 65.58KB, Downloaded 516 times)
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32507 is a reply to message #26255] Mon, 23 May 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

Sorry, I was very busy on others works... I did not try yet, will do asap. Seems nice Smile
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32588 is a reply to message #26255] Thu, 26 May 2011 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

I tried this morning : good Smile

Just one little thing : after changing something with the context menu, we go at the top of the list... Better if we can stay in place, but maybe it's too difficult to do for something not very important...
Re: deb packages don't update user sources properly [message #32598 is a reply to message #32588] Thu, 26 May 2011 19:45 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

jibe wrote on Thu, 26 May 2011 11:02

Just one little thing : after changing something with the context menu, we go at the top of the list... Better if we can stay in place, but maybe it's too difficult to do for something not very important...

I agree, it was annoying Rolling Eyes It should be fixed in 3462, but I'm not really happy with the solution, so if anyone knows better suggestions are welcome Wink

Honza
Previous Topic: Automatic nightly builds reastored - and reason(s) why it was failing (unodgs, please read :)
Next Topic: [PROPOSAL] Changes to packaging scheme
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:16:09 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01037 seconds