FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » RichText,QTF,RTF... » Spell checking on linux
Spell checking on linux [message #26322] Sat, 24 April 2010 21:00 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi!

Today, I decided that I should use spellchecker when writing a new page for uppweb. I knew there is one, but to my great surprise, it didn't work.

After consultation with Koldo and digging through sources, I found where is the problem: There is no dictionary in Linux releases. Well, no problem - I said to myself - let's download the dictionary from svn or sf.net. Another surprise: there is no English dictionary on sf.net and there is even no dictionaries at all in svn.

So I had to download the win installer and extract the en-us.scd file from there. I put it to ~/.upp/theide where theide is supposed to look for the dictionaries. And here comes the last surprise - it didn't help either.

Finally, after reading the sources more carefully, I noticed it is actually looking for "EN-US.scd" and that makes a great difference on case-sensitive filesystems.

So I have few proposals:
  1. Add basic (at least en-us) dictionaries to the src packages. I'll take care about debian packages.
  2. Put the files for all available languages on one common place for download (sf.net as it is now is fine, just add English ones please)
  3. Make the files work corectly on Linux - i.e. either convert the basename to uppercase OR change the code in sGetSpeller() to
    pp << spell_path << ';' << getenv("LIB") << ';' << getenv("PATH") << ';';
    String path = GetFileOnPath(ToLower(LNGAsText(lang)) + ".udc", pp);
    if(IsNull(path))
    	path = GetFileOnPath(ToLower(LNGAsText(lang)) + ".scd", pp);
    if(IsNull(path))
    	return false;
    FileIn in(path);
  4. The usual complaint: This should be documented somewhere. If nobody disagrees, I'll put an article to theide docs explaining how to obtain and install additional dictionaries inside theide.

Best regards,
Honza

[Updated on: Sat, 24 April 2010 23:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26323 is a reply to message #26322] Sat, 24 April 2010 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

My vote too for documenting spellchecking in U++. Honza, thank you.
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26324 is a reply to message #26322] Sat, 24 April 2010 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
I agree too.

Perhaps in addition I would vote for having a secondary tar.gz compressed file including dictionaries and another for windows including SDL and MinGW.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26325 is a reply to message #26324] Sun, 25 April 2010 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

Perhaps other option would be to include in Download page links to "Speller Dictionaries" folder and to SDL.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26326 is a reply to message #26325] Sun, 25 April 2010 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Sun, 25 April 2010 00:12

Hello Honza

Perhaps other option would be to include in Download page links to "Speller Dictionaries" folder and to SDL.

I actually like this one even better... The files are there already and anyone can just select those which he needs. "Additional resources" section with links on Download page should cover it just fine. I'll do it together with the documentation...

Honza
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26339 is a reply to message #26322] Mon, 26 April 2010 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 24 April 2010 15:00

[*] Make the files work corectly on Linux - i.e. either convert the basename to uppercase OR change the code in sGetSpeller() to
if(IsNull(path))
if(IsNull(path))
	return false;
FileIn in(path);

Fix applied.

I believe en-us dictionary should be part of .deb.

I believe it all should be documented, including dictionary creation process.

Also, note that that there is SpellerDictionaries folder on sf.net. Maybe somebody should work on getting more .scd files there Smile

All you need is a plain text list of all correct words for language, then use uppbox/MakeSpellScd to create .scd file.

Mirek
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26344 is a reply to message #26339] Mon, 26 April 2010 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 26 April 2010 10:41

Also, note that that there is SpellerDictionaries folder on sf.net. Maybe somebody should work on getting more .scd files there Smile

All you need is a plain text list of all correct words for language, then use uppbox/MakeSpellScd to create .scd file.

I'm aware of the sf.net dictionaries, but the selection is rather limited Smile I was already looking for opensource dictionaries that could be converted to scd. The best solution I found so far would be to convert aspell dictionaries. They are GPL licensed, which is not optimal, but better than nothing. I'll try to investigate how to convert them.

A part of the documentation will definitely be a list of available dictionaries with direct download links to sf.net. Also, thinking about it now, it should be rather easy to add a menu item to theide "Fetch spellcheck dictionary..." which would ask for language and try to fetch the file from sf.net and install it.

Honza
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26377 is a reply to message #26344] Wed, 28 April 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi all!

Little update: After a bit of investigation (i.e. reading the manual Very Happy ) I have found really simple way of converting aspell dictionaries to wordlists in suitable format:
#!/bin/bash

DICTS=$( aspell dump dicts )

for d in $DICTS 
do
	echo "Exporting $d ..."
	aspell dump master $d | aspell expand | sed 's/ /\n/g;' > wordlist.$d
done

echo "Finished!"

The above script will ask aspell for a list of installed dictionaries (only master ones, but can be extended to include personal dictionaries as well). Then it cycles through all of them and creates the worldists in current directory.

For list of available languages, see official download page. If I count correctly, there is something around 90 languages which can be easily converted to .scd files.

Now the question is what do we have to do to satisfy the GPL license? Is it enough to mention the dictionaries are GPL-licensed in About-box of theide and on the sf.net download page? I never really understood those licenses :-/

Regards,
Honza
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26395 is a reply to message #26322] Thu, 29 April 2010 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Another update: I converted 68 dictionaries that are available from ubuntu repositories. Let's call that a standard selection Smile The dictionaries contain data varying from poor to excellent, but I was to lazy to go through the documentation and select only the good ones. Also bad dictionary is better than none Smile

I won't upload them anywhere just yet since I'm still unsure about the licensing. If someone wishes to test his language, just contact me. Here comes the list, the second column is filesize:
af-af.udc	428K
am-am.udc	137
ar-ar.udc	364
bg-bg.udc	231K
bn-bn.udc	467
br-br.udc	62K
ca-ca.udc	745K
cs-cs.udc	3,5M
cy-cy.udc	180K
da-da.udc	388K
de-at.udc	474K
de-de.udc	473K
de-ch.udc	472K
el-el.udc	1,5K
en-ca.udc	226K
en-gb.udc	226K
en-us.udc	226K
eo-eo.udc	158K
es-es.udc	459K
et-et.udc	556K
eu-eu.udc	408K
fa-fa.udc	1,2K
fi-fi.udc	349K
fo-fo.udc	241K
fr-fr.udc	375K
fr-ch.udc	375K
ga-ga.udc	402K
gl-gl.udc	67K
gu-gu.udc	398
he-he.udc	1,8K
hi-hi.udc	410
hr-hr.udc	368K
hu-hu.udc	4,8M
hy-hy.udc	559
is-is.udc	457K
it-it.udc	346K
ku-ku.udc	17K
lt-lt.udc	567K
lv-lv.udc	548K
ml-ml.udc	711
mr-mr.udc	406
nb-nb.udc	1,2M
nl-nl.udc	605K
nn-nn.udc	810K
no-no.udc	1,2M
nr-nr.udc	44K
ns-ns.udc	21K
or-or.udc	115
pa-pa.udc	126
pl-pl.udc	1,8M
pt-br.udc	1,4M
pt-pt.udc	106K
ro-ro.udc	727K
ru-ru.udc	8,6K
sk-sk.udc	793K
sl-sl.udc	582K
ss-ss.udc	64K
st-st.udc	21K
sv-sv.udc	139K
ta-ta.udc	211
te-te.udc	550
tl-ph.udc	43K
tn-tn.udc	31K
ts-ts.udc	67K
uk-uk.udc	6,1K
uz-uz.udc	462
xh-xh.udc	56K
zu-zu.udc	203K
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26403 is a reply to message #26395] Fri, 30 April 2010 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

Huge job!

About licensing, where have you got these dictionaries?

In general in every dictionary compressed file is the license in a text file. And in the same place, for example, here: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries , not all licenses are the same.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26404 is a reply to message #26395] Fri, 30 April 2010 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

el-el.udc	1,5K
fa-fa.udc	1,2K
he-he.udc	1,8K
ku-ku.udc	17K
nr-nr.udc	44K
ns-ns.udc	21K
ru-ru.udc	8,6K
uk-uk.udc	6,1K

Looks like some langauge packs are almost empty. Did you try to take OpenOffice spellchecking files?

[Updated on: Fri, 30 April 2010 08:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26406 is a reply to message #26322] Fri, 30 April 2010 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm not sure how to deal with the GPL in dictionaries.

The mingw was included with GPL, although I'm afraid that's not ok (unless mingw has some exception), and I'm afraid the dictionaries would taint the whole package with GPL.

It would be easy to go around this by including just some wizard script (under BSD), which would download and convert dictionaries for the user who run it (I think this is trivial workaround for any programmer, so it would suit well our target users), but you hit the GPL issue again later when deploying the app. If you would include spell-check+dicts, you would have either to use such workaround even for final user (may work not as well as for u++ users), or be sure how to distribute the GPL dicts properly under their license. (it would be very likely OK to make them available as additional download on your site, so every user will get BSD package as deployment, and he can download any GPL stuff separately later on his own. I'm not sure if it's possible to create a legal bundle of both, I would say "no" unless you are very clever and creative.)
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26412 is a reply to message #26406] Fri, 30 April 2010 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 30 April 2010 03:40

I'm not sure how to deal with the GPL in dictionaries.

The mingw was included with GPL, although I'm afraid that's not ok (unless mingw has some exception), and I'm afraid the dictionaries would taint the whole package with GPL.

It would be easy to go around this by including just some wizard script (under BSD), which would download and convert dictionaries for the user who run it (I think this is trivial workaround for any programmer, so it would suit well our target users), but you hit the GPL issue again later when deploying the app. If you would include spell-check+dicts, you would have either to use such workaround even for final user (may work not as well as for u++ users), or be sure how to distribute the GPL dicts properly under their license. (it would be very likely OK to make them available as additional download on your site, so every user will get BSD package as deployment, and he can download any GPL stuff separately later on his own. I'm not sure if it's possible to create a legal bundle of both, I would say "no" unless you are very clever and creative.)

I guess for starters, putting them to sf.net and not making them the part of release would do.

I guess nobody wants to download all of them anyway.

Mirek
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26413 is a reply to message #26412] Fri, 30 April 2010 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
P.S.: Looking at sizes (those that are evidently OK), I guess the new compression algorithm works quite well.... despite being quite primitive.
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26421 is a reply to message #26322] Fri, 30 April 2010 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi all!

Koldo: They are all aspell dictionaries, acquired via ubuntu repositories. All of them are GPL. I didn't look at openoffice files at all.

Mindtraveller: Yes, as I mentioned before, the quality varies. Most of the small ones (with exception of russian and ukraine) are not widely used, so there was probably not much effort to build the dictionaries. If anyone can supply better wordlist, we can substitute them.

Also, the hungarian file looked suspicious from the other side it is too big - there were too much words. To compare: 12M in hungarian, compared to 4M for czech. Most of them looked like concatenated from two words, with common prefixes, but not even google could find any of these suspicious words... Anyone capable of checking them?

Mr. Ped: I was thinking about similar approach. Putting them to sf.net with GPL license and writing a download wizard into theide. As you said the problem is with end users who want to redistribute them with non-GPL apps. I guess they would have to reuse the wizard or supply their own dictionaries.

Mirek: Yes, it worked without problems. Also, since I got the wordlist directly from aspell program, it was all in UTF-8 and I didn't have to bother with the charset conversion. The entire process went smooth and fully automatically. Only exception was the hungarian - it choked my computer, 512 MB RAM was not enough, so I had to convert this one on different computer, but that is not a fault in algorithm but in my hardware Smile

Also one more thing: I'm not sure about some of the languages codes, because in aspell the were designated with only two letter code, like "cs". For the sake of automatizaion, I expended it in such cases presuming the second part is the same as first, but in some cases it is wrong, e.g. cs-cs should be cs-cz... This should be checked/solved before making them available for download.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26436 is a reply to message #26322] Sat, 01 May 2010 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Very interesting... The dictionaries with small sizes are actually not that wrong as you assumed. I checked the wordcounts:
   407752 wordlist.el
   339747 wordlist.fa
   455264 wordlist.he
    14268 wordlist.ku
    12497 wordlist.nr
     6234 wordlist.ns
     1029 wordlist.or
     2045 wordlist.pa
   732571 wordlist.ru
   181779 wordlist.uk

For comparison:
   417350 wordlist.bg
  4669281 wordlist.cs
   307891 wordlist.da
   135275 wordlist.en_US
   629569 wordlist.fr_FR
 12939123 wordlist.hu
    48490 wordlist.pt_PT
   859141 wordlist.sk_SK

After loking at those numbers for a while, I got an idea, that some of the wordlists may contain multiple entries for a single word. So I ran some of them through sort -u and here is what I got
   135275 wordlist.en_US
   135275 wordlist.en_US.sorted
   732571 wordlist.ru
     1236 wordlist.ru.sorted
  4669281 wordlist.cs
  4269350 wordlist.cs.sorted

Conclusion:
The Russian dictionary is very poor and the same might be true for other ones on "suspicous list". So someone will have to do some quality control... I can check the word counts, but it would be nice if someone who actually speaks the given language checked it after me.

Regards,
Honza
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26614 is a reply to message #26322] Sun, 16 May 2010 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,

Here are the dictionaries, together with the original sources. Can someone put them to sf.net? Or I can do it myself, if someone grants me the rights (my sf.net account is dolik_rce).

Also, I propose to make a little change to the function finding the files:
Speller *sGetSpeller(int lang)
{
	static ArrayMap<int, Speller> speller;
	int q = speller.Find(lang);
	if(q < 0) {
		String pp;
		String dir = ConfigFile("scd");
		for(;;) {
			pp << dir << ';';
			String d = GetFileFolder(dir);
			if(d == dir) break;
			dir = d;
		}
		if(IsNull(path))
		if(IsNull(path))								// This is
			path = GetFileOnPath(ToLower(LNGAsText(lang).Left(2)) + ".udc", pp);	// added
		if(IsNull(path))
			return false;
		FileIn in(path);
		if(!in)
			return false;
It will allow the dictionaries to have just the language part of name (i.e. no country code). This way, even if the user selects country which does not have specific dictionary yet (e.g. EN-NZ) he still gets a spell checker for given language (that is en.udc for the New Zealand exmple). IMHO it is better to serve a more general dictionary than nothing.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26615 is a reply to message #26614] Sun, 16 May 2010 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 18:17

Hi,

Here are the dictionaries, together with the original sources. Can someone put them to sf.net? Or I can do it myself, if someone grants me the rights (my sf.net account is dolik_rce).

Rights granted.

Quote:

Also, I propose to make a little change to the function finding the files:
Speller *sGetSpeller(int lang)
{
	static ArrayMap<int, Speller> speller;
	int q = speller.Find(lang);
	if(q < 0) {
		String pp;
		String dir = ConfigFile("scd");
		for(;;) {
			pp << dir << ';';
			String d = GetFileFolder(dir);
			if(d == dir) break;
			dir = d;
		}
		if(IsNull(path))
		if(IsNull(path))								// This is
			path = GetFileOnPath(ToLower(LNGAsText(lang).Left(2)) + ".udc", pp);	// added
		if(IsNull(path))
			return false;
		FileIn in(path);
		if(!in)
			return false;
It will allow the dictionaries to have just the language part of name (i.e. no country code). This way, even if the user selects country which does not have specific dictionary yet (e.g. EN-NZ) he still gets a spell checker for given language (that is en.udc for the New Zealand exmple). IMHO it is better to serve a more general dictionary than nothing.

OK, byt do we really have those "more general" dictionaries?

Maybe we should scan for something like "en*.udc" instead?

Mirek
Re: Spell checking on linux [message #26616 is a reply to message #26615] Sun, 16 May 2010 09:33 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 08:55

OK, byt do we really have those "more general" dictionaries?

Maybe we should scan for something like "en*.udc" instead?

Hi Mirek,

Thanks for the rights, I'll upload it today.

This idea is based on the Aspell dictionaries. Most of them have only the general form. Some, like en, are to my best knowledge combination of all words from all english dialects. There is only single case where the general dictionary does not exist (pt-pt,pt-br, no pt).

Maybe we could scan for en*.udc as a last resort after checking for the general dictionary, if the general does not exist. But if someone asks for Angolan Portuguese, how would you decide if it is better to use pt-pt or pt-br?

Honza
Previous Topic: How to define the width of a table?
Next Topic: Using QTF the easiest way (specially for Newbies)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:49:32 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01390 seconds