Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible?
Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible? [message #28937] Tue, 28 September 2010 13:35 Go to next message
Rishi is currently offline  Rishi
Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible?
I think we can recompile some apps using ultimate++ instead of sucking GTK+ and GTK#, QT.
I think max. result is upp-gnome and upp-kde Smile
I know this work needs many developers. I can help whenever possible:)
Re: Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible? [message #28982 is a reply to message #28937] Thu, 30 September 2010 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Rishi wrote on Tue, 28 September 2010 07:35

Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible?
I think we can recompile some apps using ultimate++ instead of sucking GTK+ and GTK#, QT.
I think max. result is upp-gnome and upp-kde Smile
I know this work needs many developers. I can help whenever possible:)

No quite sure what you mean by that.

Do you plan to add U++ interfaces to gtk, ot gtk interfaces to U++? Smile
Re: Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible? [message #28985 is a reply to message #28937] Thu, 30 September 2010 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I think he wants to add GTK API to upp core, so you can take any GTK application and compile it with UPP as backend.

I'm not sure it's possible even for very simple applications, certainly not for complex ones (without patching the code of app to fix major differences).

Still doing some research how much we differ and how much such API wrapper is possible can be interesting. Smile If somebody has enough spare time for almost useless interesting project.

edit:
Rishi: the problem is that GTK vs QT vs UPP do differ a lot even in basics. The principle is similar, but implementation details are vastly different, so any general solution to just recompile simpler GTK app with upp trough some wrapper lib is IMHO next to impossible.

Also what's the benefit of that? The app source will be still GTK polluted, so you get the same app source mounted over undesired backend which may introduce just more bugs then original GTK+.

What has true benefit is to rewrite GTK app from scratch with UPP, that way the power (and shortcomings) of UPP may be demonstrated and both app version will have "native" backend libs, so there will be no additional errors introduced by wrapper layer, so it can be used to directly compare performance of each toolkit (I mean overall performance in terms of SW development, not just speed of code)

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2010 13:50]

Report message to a moderator

icon9.gif  Re: Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible? [message #28990 is a reply to message #28937] Thu, 30 September 2010 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I just asked if you can map u++ functions to gtk+ sot that apps can be compiled even without gtk+. I did not say to rewrite or pollute the code using gtk. I asked to 'map' gtk functions to u++. You don't need touse gtk for this :)Smile
Re: Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible? [message #29002 is a reply to message #28937] Fri, 01 October 2010 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I understood you and answered you before, but to make it short:
1) no way to map it, the APIs differ too much (unless you write total GTK emulator with upp ... but why? Simply use GTK lib, it's already done and ready to be used.)
2) no benefit, it would be completely useless (again, GTK already exists and can be used, no need to recreate it)
Re: Can anyone plan to bring ultimate++ Widget toolkit to GTK-compatible, GTK# and qt-compatible? [message #29564 is a reply to message #28937] Sun, 31 October 2010 07:03 Go to previous message
Like WXGTK and GTKQT Very Happy
Previous Topic: Porting SystemDraw to Frambuffer
Next Topic: Scintilla for U++ and other languages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:05:34 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04181 seconds