Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP)
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29625 is a reply to message #29608] Thu, 04 November 2010 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
porto wrote on Wed, 03 November 2010 12:07

As I understood from the description in MSDN the flag of extended style "WS_EX_COMPOSITED" activates the double-buffering at the OS level (it's supported minimum in WinXP), so unlikely it will depend on the graphics card drivers. About making changes in UPP if you agree, I think the better off the flag after the full appearance of the window. About changes in UPP, if you agree, I

Frankly, I am undecided. Double-buffering would take toll on total performance (it eats quite some memory), is it worth to introduce this to the library just to fix repainting lag on your specific machine? Besides, it is low-level machines we are trying to fix here...

I guess if there would be some intelligent fix I might be less undecided, but COMPOSITED is quite heave weaponry for the task.
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29626 is a reply to message #29625] Thu, 04 November 2010 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
porto is currently offline  porto
I have seen this effect on three different machines. The most powerful of them has a modern dual core 3Ghz processor and nVidia GSO 9600 graphics card, and even there the effect is sometimes seen.
But you're right. Maybe in the future I will find a clever solution. Thanks for your answers.
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29745 is a reply to message #29625] Thu, 11 November 2010 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, Mirek!
I think finally I found the cause of this issue. I understand that perhaps no one, does not bother about this, but I ask a little more of your attention, if it possible.
When a little digging into the source code of apps that are deprived of this problem, I discovered that these apps after the window creation (but before it is displayed when the window is still invisible) change the size and/or position (perhaps when it placed the child elements, etc.) I don't know why, but in this case redrawing a non-client area of the window does not by underlying window, but it does by Windows itself. When UPP application creates a window, it immediately set the final size and position.
I've made small changes to the source code, which instead of the double buffering does not affect the performance and don't eat more memory then original code. The idea is simple: When we create a window (it is not yet visible), we set to zero (or another value that is different from the original) its size and position. And then, before the window is displaying on the screen, we change size and position to the original value by MoveWindow() function.
Below I post the complete changed method. It is in the file "Win32Wnd.cpp". The method begin at line 459 (added lines are marked whith "// added" comment, changed lines are marked whith "// changed" comment):
void Ctrl::Create0(Ctrl::CreateBox *cr)
{
	GuiLock __;
	if(cr->style & WS_VISIBLE)
		cr->style ^= WS_VISIBLE; //added
	ASSERT(IsMainThread());
	LLOG("Ctrl::Create(parent = " << (void *)parent << ") in " <<UPP::Name(this) << BeginIndent);
	ASSERT(!IsChild() && !IsOpen());
	Rect r = GetRect();
	AdjustWindowRectEx(r, cr->style, FALSE, cr->exstyle);
	isopen = true;
	top = new Top;
	ASSERT(!cr->parent || IsWindow(cr->parent));
	if(!IsWinXP())
		cr->dropshadow = false;
#ifdef PLATFORM_WINCE
		if(parent)
			top->hwnd = CreateWindowExW(cr->exstyle,
			                            cr->savebits ? cr->dropshadow ? L"UPP-CLASS-SB-DS-W" : L"UPP-CLASS-SB-W"
			                                         : cr->dropshadow ? L"UPP-CLASS-DS-W"    : L"UPP-CLASS-W",
			                            L"", cr->style, 0, 0, 0, 0,
			                            cr->parent, NULL, hInstance, this); // changed
		else
			top->hwnd = CreateWindowW(L"UPP-CLASS-W",
			                          L"", WS_VISIBLE, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,
			                          cr->parent, NULL, hInstance, this);
#else
	if(IsWinNT() && (!cr->parent || IsWindowUnicode(cr->parent)))
	else
		top->hwnd = CreateWindowEx(cr->exstyle,
		                           cr->savebits ? cr->dropshadow ? "UPP-CLASS-SB-DS-A" : "UPP-CLASS-SB-A"
		                                        : cr->dropshadow ? "UPP-CLASS-DS-A"    : "UPP-CLASS-A",
		                           "", cr->style, 0, 0, 0, 0,
#endif

inloop = false;

ASSERT(top->hwnd);

::MoveWindow(top->hwnd, r.left, r.top, r.Width(), r.Height(), false); //added
	::ShowWindow(top->hwnd, visible ? cr->show : SW_HIDE);
//	::UpdateWindow(hwnd);
	StateH(OPEN);
	LLOG(EndIndent << "//Ctrl::Create in " <<UPP::Name(this));
	RegisterDragDrop(top->hwnd, (LPDROPTARGET) (top->dndtgt = NewUDropTarget(this)));
	CancelMode();
	RefreshLayoutDeep();
}

I also want to explain this code:
		cr->style ^= WS_VISIBLE;

When a window is displayed, OS sets a WS_VISIBLE flag to its style. In file "TopWin32.cpp", in method void TopWindow::SyncCaption0() we have this code:
if(hwnd) {
		style = ::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_STYLE);
		exstyle = ::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE);
	}

After the window is displayed and the flag has been set, we initialize the "style" variable whith a style info was readed from the window, but the window has a WS_VISIBLE flag! If the window is destroyed, and its class instance is still exists whith set WS_VISIBLE style flag. If now we again call for that window method CreateBox() function CreateWindowEx(). This function is show a window during creation is WS_VISIBLE flag was set, and ShowWindow() function a second time will show already shown window! Maybe you can fix it on other level, I have no experience to do this.

Is it possible to make changes similar to mine in the official build?

P.S. Sorry for bad English.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 November 2010 10:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29787 is a reply to message #29745] Wed, 17 November 2010 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
porto wrote on Thu, 11 November 2010 08:34

Hello, Mirek!
I think finally I found the cause of this issue. I understand that perhaps no one, does not bother about this, but I ask a little more of your attention, if it possible.
When a little digging into the source code of apps that are deprived of this problem, I discovered that these apps after the window creation (but before it is displayed when the window is still invisible) change the size and/or position (perhaps when it placed the child elements, etc.) I don't know why, but in this case redrawing a non-client area of the window does not by underlying window, but it does by Windows itself. When UPP application creates a window, it immediately set the final size and position.
I've made small changes to the source code, which instead of the double buffering does not affect the performance and don't eat more memory then original code. The idea is simple: When we create a window (it is not yet visible), we set to zero (or another value that is different from the original) its size and position. And then, before the window is displaying on the screen, we change size and position to the original value by MoveWindow() function.
Below I post the complete changed method. It is in the file "Win32Wnd.cpp". The method begin at line 459 (added lines are marked whith "// added" comment, changed lines are marked whith "// changed" comment):
void Ctrl::Create0(Ctrl::CreateBox *cr)
{
	GuiLock __;
		cr->style ^= WS_VISIBLE; //added
	ASSERT(IsMainThread());
	LLOG("Ctrl::Create(parent = " << (void *)parent << ") in " <<UPP::Name(this) << BeginIndent);
	ASSERT(!IsChild() && !IsOpen());
	Rect r = GetRect();
	AdjustWindowRectEx(r, cr->style, FALSE, cr->exstyle);
	isopen = true;
	top = new Top;
	ASSERT(!cr->parent || IsWindow(cr->parent));
	if(!IsWinXP())
		cr->dropshadow = false;
#ifdef PLATFORM_WINCE
		if(parent)
		else
			top->hwnd = CreateWindowW(L"UPP-CLASS-W",
			                          L"", WS_VISIBLE, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,
			                          cr->parent, NULL, hInstance, this);
#else
	if(IsWinNT() && (!cr->parent || IsWindowUnicode(cr->parent)))
	else
		top->hwnd = CreateWindowEx(cr->exstyle,
		                           cr->savebits ? cr->dropshadow ? "UPP-CLASS-SB-DS-A" : "UPP-CLASS-SB-A"
		                                        : cr->dropshadow ? "UPP-CLASS-DS-A"    : "UPP-CLASS-A",
		                           "", cr->style, 0, 0, 0, 0,
#endif

inloop = false;

ASSERT(top->hwnd);

::MoveWindow(top->hwnd, r.left, r.top, r.Width(), r.Height(), false); //added
	::ShowWindow(top->hwnd, visible ? cr->show : SW_HIDE);
//	::UpdateWindow(hwnd);
	StateH(OPEN);
	LLOG(EndIndent << "//Ctrl::Create in " <<UPP::Name(this));
	RegisterDragDrop(top->hwnd, (LPDROPTARGET) (top->dndtgt = NewUDropTarget(this)));
	CancelMode();
	RefreshLayoutDeep();
}

I also want to explain this code:
		cr->style ^= WS_VISIBLE;

When a window is displayed, OS sets a WS_VISIBLE flag to its style. In file "TopWin32.cpp", in method void TopWindow::SyncCaption0() we have this code:
if(hwnd) {
		style = ::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_STYLE);
		exstyle = ::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE);
	}

After the window is displayed and the flag has been set, we initialize the "style" variable whith a style info was readed from the window, but the window has a WS_VISIBLE flag! If the window is destroyed, and its class instance is still exists whith set WS_VISIBLE style flag. If now we again call for that window method CreateBox() function
Is it possible to make changes similar to mine in the official build?

P.S. Sorry for bad English.

This patch seems to be reasonable way to fix the problem.

However, I am not sure about fixing WS_VISIBLE issue... If the only effect to fix is:

[b]CreateWindowEx()[/b]. This function is show a window during creation is WS_VISIBLE flag was set, and [b]ShowWindow()[/b] function a second time will show already shown window! Maybe you can fix it on other level, I have no experience to do this.

then I really have to ask:

What is the problem with showing already shown window?
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29791 is a reply to message #29787] Wed, 17 November 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

then I really have to ask:

What is the problem with showing already shown window?

There is no problem. The fix works fine without that line. This is just for reassurance. I'm not an expert in WinAPI and am not sure that a window with zero size and position can not be seen on the screen under certain conditions. But if you are sure about it - that line is not needed. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2010 11:29]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29792 is a reply to message #29791] Wed, 17 November 2010 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just remembered, that line solves the problem that I created myself. Therefore, it is not needed. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2010 11:53]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29823 is a reply to message #29227] Sat, 20 November 2010 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Path applied.

Thank you. I guess with fix like this one, it is worth to be better than Adobe Smile
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29828 is a reply to message #29823] Sat, 20 November 2010 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Path applied.

I'm very pleased. Thanks for that.
Quote:

Thank you. I guess with fix like this one, it is worth to be better than Adobe

Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2010 11:08]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29851 is a reply to message #29828] Mon, 22 November 2010 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Bad news: While it might have fixed the issue of black corners 'flash', it introduced pretty bad artifact with Terminal Server sessions (some windows are now missing frame completely).

I am afraid I have to rollback it back for now.

Mirek
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29852 is a reply to message #29851] Mon, 22 November 2010 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess that adding in the beginning of the method of this line:
Quote:

cr->style ^= WS_VISIBLE;

will solve the problem.
Сan you try it and post the result?
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29862 is a reply to message #29852] Wed, 24 November 2010 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
porto wrote on Mon, 22 November 2010 15:00

I guess that adding in the beginning of the method of this line:
Quote:

cr->style ^= WS_VISIBLE;

will solve the problem.
Сan you try it and post the result?

OK, with

cr->style &= ~WS_VISIBLE;

(the same fix, actually)

it seems to work fine. Will keep that - hopefully this is the real end of this issue Smile

Mirek
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29866 is a reply to message #29862] Thu, 25 November 2010 08:12 Go to previous message
I hope so Smile
Previous Topic: Style: DefaultInk / default
Next Topic: HotSpots usage HOWTO
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:50:21 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03440 seconds