Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu?
how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #29717] Wed, 10 November 2010 09:24 Go to next message
bonami is currently offline  bonami
Experienced Member
U++ now has ubuntu builds. how can I make my code like it, too? Should I upload my code to launchpad? currently my code is on sourceforge. Won't these conflict? My code uses U++.
Re: how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #29723 is a reply to message #29717] Wed, 10 November 2010 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

bonami wrote on Wed, 10 November 2010 09:24

U++ now has ubuntu builds. how can I make my code like it, too? Should I upload my code to launchpad? currently my code is on sourceforge. Won't these conflict? My code uses U++.

Hi Bonami,

You can of course make your own packages if you register on launchpad.net. You don't have to move your code anywhere, we are building upp packages from our own server Wink

Do you have any experience with packaging? If not, I recommend you to have look at lpbuild package in uppbox nest in svn. There are some of my notes in the form of tpp documentation, it might give you some hints where to start. You should at least read the Debian packaging guides (links are in the help) and/or similar documents for ubuntu (use google...) but they are mostly the same. Launchad specific help can be found on https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging. There are also packaging scripts for the nightly builds in lpbuild, which you can have a look at, but they are probably not very easy to read.

If you need some help at any point, just ask Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #29732 is a reply to message #29723] Thu, 11 November 2010 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
thanks.
but is there a more automatic way to do all this?
if i use sourceforge to hold sourcecode, launchpad can synchronize timely. but it is not possible to use this code directly for PPA to generate ubuntu packages by launchpad automatically?
Re: how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #29733 is a reply to message #29732] Thu, 11 November 2010 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

bonami wrote on Thu, 11 November 2010 03:31

thanks.
but is there a more automatic way to do all this?
if i use sourceforge to hold sourcecode, launchpad can synchronize timely. but it is not possible to use this code directly for PPA to generate ubuntu packages by launchpad automatically?

Launchpad allows to build debs directly from bazaar branches. I am not familiar with bzr and I don't have any idea how to set up that, but I imagine that it takes about the same amount of work as writing a simple shell script, the only advantage being that it is directly connected to your source. Other options would be to have a package building script installed as a SVN hook (building after every commit, not sure if it is possible on sf.net) or running it as a cron job (that is what U++ uses for nightly builds, but the period can be whatever you want).

Honza
Re: how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #29760 is a reply to message #29733] Mon, 15 November 2010 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thank you.
I'm learning to build package(PPA) from launchpad source project, which is a beta functionality.
icon2.gif  Re: how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #40195 is a reply to message #29723] Tue, 02 July 2013 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
According to , ONLY source packages are allowed to be added to PPA.
However, I can see U++ on PPA has
Number of packages:
    11 source packages (273.8 MiB)
    110 binary packages (2.3 GiB)

Are these really binary packages uploaded?
I do not think I can ask lanuchpad servers to build my U++ code. So how can I upload my source package or U++-generated binaries to launchpad please?
Re: how to make my own PPA for Ubuntu? [message #40197 is a reply to message #40195] Tue, 02 July 2013 10:14 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

bonami wrote on Tue, 02 July 2013 05:20

According to http://askubuntu.com/questions/189529/can-i-upload-binary-pa ckages-to-a-launchpad-ppa, ONLY source packages are allowed to be added to PPA.
However, I can see U++ on PPA has
Number of packages:
    11 source packages (273.8 MiB)
    110 binary packages (2.3 GiB)

Are these really binary packages uploaded?
I do not think I can ask lanuchpad servers to build my U++ code. So how can I upload my source package or U++-generated binaries to launchpad please?

The way PPA works is that you upload only source pacakges (.dsc) and launchpad builds the binary packages for you. So the packages you see were not uploaded but built in place Wink

Honza
Previous Topic: Ubuntu repository returns 500
Next Topic: Compiling 32-bit on 64-bit Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:24:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01838 seconds