Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » gcc441 + uldar produces a crashing executable
gcc441 + uldar produces a crashing executable [message #30053] Sun, 05 December 2010 10:35 Go to next message
Greatwolf is currently offline  Greatwolf

Hi all,

I was looking for ways to help speed up linking time when building a c++ project and I came across uldar. So, I downloaded this and gave it a try.

My initial attempts were unsuccessful in getting a working executable. While the compilation and linking seems to succeed, every final executable produced fails to run properly. They all crash out with an exception read access violation.

The uldar linker does seem to link much faster than gnu ld and it would be nice if I could use this as a replacement. But it has to generate a functional executable first!

Thanks
Re: gcc441 + uldar produces a crashing executable [message #30058 is a reply to message #30053] Sun, 05 December 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Greatwolf wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 04:35

Hi all,

I was looking for ways to help speed up linking time when building a c++ project and I came across uldar. So, I downloaded this and gave it a try.

My initial attempts were unsuccessful in getting a working executable. While the compilation and linking seems to succeed, every final executable produced fails to run properly. They all crash out with an exception read access violation.

The uldar linker does seem to link much faster than gnu ld and it would be nice if I could use this as a replacement. But it has to generate a functional executable first!

Thanks

Well, truth is that we gave up maintaining uldar when ldd became fast enough....

Mirek
Re: gcc441 + uldar produces a crashing executable [message #30059 is a reply to message #30058] Mon, 06 December 2010 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greatwolf is currently offline  Greatwolf

mirek wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 06:12

Well, truth is that we gave up maintaining uldar when ldd became fast enough....

Mirek

What is ldd tool being referred to in this context? Do you mean the gnu ld linker or something else? I still find the gnu ld linker pretty slow btw... version is 2.19.1 bundled with gcc441
Re: gcc441 + uldar produces a crashing executable [message #30064 is a reply to message #30059] Mon, 06 December 2010 10:26 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Greatwolf wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 19:01

mirek wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 06:12

Mirek

What is ldd tool being referred to in this context?

Sorry, yes, 'ld'.

Quote:

Do you mean the gnu ld linker or something else? I still find the gnu ld linker pretty slow btw... version is 2.19.1 bundled with gcc441

Well, in Ubuntu running in virtual session, link time is about 1.5s for typical U++ GUI example app. I think it is too acceptable to spend any more time with uldar...
Previous Topic: TheIde and Delete package file/topic
Next Topic: Very slow startup on Windows 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:32:22 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03150 seconds