FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Callback (THISBACK) Improve
Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30083] Tue, 07 December 2010 15:08 Go to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Hello All,

I propose to impove a little callback mechanism by adding new functionality.

Example: In a class I have
Callback2<P1, P2, P2, P3, P4> when_callback;

From other class I want to attach a nethod
OnCallback1(P1 p1, P2 p2, P3 p3, P4 p4, T1 t1, T2 t2, T3 t3){
}

When I try to attach:
Attach(){when_callback = THISBACK3(OnCallback1, val1, val2, val3)};

Returned an error.

With the attached patch this functionality is integrated.
Maximum can be 4 parameters and 4 arguments(constants). Total parameters can be 8.

Maybe I give a non-simple example.

If this functionality will be accepted that I can improve a little with functions(not methods).

A little example is:
#include <Core/Core.h>

using namespace Upp;

struct Foo {
	int x;

void Action()                { Cout() << "Action: " << x << '\n'; }
	void ActionWithParam(int y)  { Cout() << "ActionWithParam: " << x + y << '\n'; }

Callback WhenDo;
	Callback1<int> WhenDo1;
	Callback4<int, String, String, String> WhenDo4;
	void Do()                    { WhenDo(); WhenDo1(2);WhenDo4(4, "2 par", "3 par", "4 par");}

Foo(int x = 0) : x(x) {}
};

void Fn()
{
	Cout() << "Fn!" << '\n';
}

struct Bar {
	Foo foo;

void Action() { Cout() << "foo's Do called\n"; }
	void ActionMaxPar(int p1, String p2, String p3, String p4) { Cout() << "foo's Do called with max par par 4 = "<<p4<<"\n"; }
	void ActionMaxParAndArg(int p1, String p2, String p3, String p4, int a1, String a2, String a3, String a4) { Cout() << "foo's Do called with max par and arg arg4="<<a4<<"\n"; }

typedef Bar CLASSNAME;

Bar() { foo.WhenDo = THISBACK(Action);
		String v_arg1("1 arg");
		String v_arg2("2 arg");
		String v_arg3("3 arg");
		String v_arg4("4 arg");
		int v_arg1_i = 1;

foo.WhenDo1 = THISBACK3(ActionMaxPar, v_arg1, v_arg2, v_arg3);
		foo.WhenDo4 = THISBACK(ActionMaxPar);
		foo.WhenDo4 << THISBACK4(ActionMaxParAndArg, v_arg1_i, v_arg2, v_arg3, v_arg4);
	}
};

struct Safe : Pte<Safe> {
	void Action() { Cout() << "safe action!\n"; }
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	Foo a(10);
	Callback cb1 = callback(&a, &Foo::Action);
	Callback cb2 = callback(Fn);
	Callback1<int> cb3 = callback(&a, &Foo::ActionWithParam);
	Callback cb4 = callback1(&a, &Foo::ActionWithParam, 30);

cb1();
	cb2();
	cb3(10);
	cb4();

Cout() << "---------\n";
	cb4 << cb2;
	cb4();

Cout() << "---------\n";
	Bar b;
	b.foo.Do();

Cout() << "---------\n";
	{
		Safe f;
		cb4 = pteback(&f, &Safe::Action);
		Cout() << "callback valid: " << (bool)cb4 << '\n';
		cb4();
	}
	Cout() << "callback valid: " << (bool)cb4 << '\n';
	cb4();
}

(example attached)

Ion Lupascu (tojocky)
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30102 is a reply to message #30083] Thu, 09 December 2010 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Ion

Is what you are proposing a kind of variable argument list callback?

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30108 is a reply to message #30102] Thu, 09 December 2010 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

koldo wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 10:08

Hello Ion

Is what you are proposing a kind of variable argument list callback?

Hello Koldo,

Yes, you are right.
I propose to add possibility to add variable argument list into callback. It was implemented only for Callback1 class and can pas only one variable arguments. Example:
Class a {
  typedef a THISBACK;
  Callback<int> WenDO;
}
Class b{
  typedef b THISBACK;
  a a_val1;
  void OnDo(int, int);
  void OnDo3(int, int);
  void Initialize(){a_val1.WhenDo = THISBACK1(OnDo, 3);}
}

Exists situation when I want to pass 2 variable arguments to callback class value (a_val1.WhenDo << THISBACK2(OnDo3, 3, 2)Wink.
Maximum variable argument list is 4 for all 4 Callback class templates (Callback1, Callback2, Callback3, Callback4).

Thank you for persons who introduced the term of callback.

For me it is very useful and seems to be very simple.
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30149 is a reply to message #30108] Sun, 12 December 2010 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
So this is basically adding more combinations of arguments and parameters to Callback, similar to what was alredy there with callback1, right?

OK, why not. Patch applied.

Mirek
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30157 is a reply to message #30149] Sun, 12 December 2010 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

mirek wrote on Sun, 12 December 2010 09:43

So this is basically adding more combinations of arguments and parameters to Callback, similar to what was alredy there with callback1, right?

OK, why not. Patch applied.

Mirek

Yes, Mirek.

I can improve this functionality with simple functions (not method from class) too.

I propose to update example too for demonstrate how it can be used.
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30161 is a reply to message #30157] Sun, 12 December 2010 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
tojocky wrote on Sun, 12 December 2010 07:26

I propose to update example too for demonstrate how it can be used.

OK, update it Smile

Mirek
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30177 is a reply to message #30161] Mon, 13 December 2010 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
i was waiting for this feature long time, meanwhile, i had to pass all the other combinations grouping them together in a TupleX<>.
just to save me the hassle with those Calback modifications..

this makes things quite easy now, thanks..
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30232 is a reply to message #30177] Fri, 17 December 2010 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i found out that the last change didnt really work and started to scratch Callback layer and found out many inconsistancies in name and usage.. so the past day i was restructuring the code blocks and renaming what was needed.

also, the changes recently made did not support the in-callback type conversion, i.e specifying a callback for float but parametrizing it with int.. this is corrected.

further more, i have extended Callback and Gate and unified their definitions.

since the code grew quite a bit with all that, i have grouped the stuff by count of arguments passing to THISBACK. so you will find a Callback0.h for THISBACK stuff, Callback1.h for THISBACK1, etc..
Callback.h simply includes them all..

just see the code. i think it's pretty clean now and easy to extend if needed, since all Callbacks now have same respective template type names accordingly. i havent changed the code in terms of function, but some naming issues to be more clean, i.e.

struct CallbackMethodActionArg1_2 : public Callback2Action<P1, P2> {}

//to

struct Callback2MethodActionArg1 : public Callback2Action<P1, P2> {}

because they made name clashes when extending..

for testing, i have compiled a major application, and also TheIDE, which both still work Smile and also created a test app where all the combinations are listed to check right compilation. there, you will find the new added combinations and those still not supported.

i also added a STDBACK, STDBACK1, etc. helper, when dealing with non THISBACK functions (because i always have to remeber the syntax for those..)

EDIT:

there are now versions to reduce a callback's attributes by one, specifying a parameter from right, yiedling a callback with one parameter less..

i also found some templates for non thiscall's that use class R template type for return value, whereas callbacks are supposed to be void returning. is this a remanent of old times or is it 'by design'?
  • Attachment: Callback.rar
    (Size: 15.03KB, Downloaded 294 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 17 December 2010 14:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30248 is a reply to message #30232] Mon, 20 December 2010 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
noticed that some reducing argument templates were still missing.
here comes the additional in Callback1.h, simply replace file..

this makes things like this possible

Callback cb0;
	Callback1<double> cb1;
	Callback2<double, double> cb2;
	Callback3<double, double, double> cb3;
	Callback4<double, double, double, double> cb4;

Gate gt0;
	Gate1<double> gt1;
	Gate2<double, double> gt2;
	Gate3<double, double, double> gt3;
	Gate4<double, double, double, double> gt4;

//args reduction

//1 arg to 0 args
	cb0 = callback1(cb1, 1);

//2 args to 1 arg
	cb1 = callback1(cb2, 2);
	cb0 = callback2(cb2, 1, 2);

//3 args to 2 args
	cb2 = callback1(cb3, 3); //new
	cb0 = callback3(cb3, 1, 2, 3); //new

//4 args to 3 args
	cb3 = callback1(cb4, 4); //new
	cb0 = callback4(cb4, 1, 2, 3, 4); //new

//1 arg to 0 args
	gt0 = callback1(gt1, 1); //new

//2 args to 1 arg
	gt1 = callback1(gt2, 2); //new
	gt0 = callback2(gt2, 1, 2); //new

//3 args to 2 args
	gt2 = callback1(gt3, 3); //new
	gt0 = callback3(gt3, 1, 2, 3); //new

//4 args to 3 args
	gt3 = callback1(gt4, 4); //new
	gt0 = callback4(gt4, 1, 2, 3, 4); //new
  • Attachment: Callback1.h
    (Size: 18.20KB, Downloaded 300 times)
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30252 is a reply to message #30232] Mon, 20 December 2010 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 12:01

i found out that the last change didnt really work and started to scratch Callback layer and found out many inconsistancies in name and usage.. so the past day i was restructuring the code blocks and renaming what was needed.

also, the changes recently made did not support the in-callback type conversion, i.e specifying a callback for float but parametrizing it with int.. this is corrected.

further more, i have extended Callback and Gate and unified their definitions.

since the code grew quite a bit with all that, i have grouped the stuff by count of arguments passing to THISBACK. so you will find a Callback0.h for THISBACK stuff, Callback1.h for THISBACK1, etc..
Callback.h simply includes them all..

just see the code. i think it's pretty clean now and easy to extend if needed, since all Callbacks now have same respective template type names accordingly. i havent changed the code in terms of function, but some naming issues to be more clean, i.e.

struct CallbackMethodActionArg1_2 : public Callback2Action<P1, P2> {}

//to

struct Callback2MethodActionArg1 : public Callback2Action<P1, P2> {}

because they made name clashes when extending..

for testing, i have compiled a major application, and also TheIDE, which both still work Smile and also created a test app where all the combinations are listed to check right compilation. there, you will find the new added combinations and those still not supported.

i also added a STDBACK, STDBACK1, etc. helper, when dealing with non THISBACK functions (because i always have to remeber the syntax for those..)

EDIT:

there are now versions to reduce a callback's attributes by one, specifying a parameter from right, yiedling a callback with one parameter less..

i also found some templates for non thiscall's that use class R template type for return value, whereas callbacks are supposed to be void returning. is this a remanent of old times or is it 'by design'?

Nice work!
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30273 is a reply to message #30252] Tue, 21 December 2010 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i'm still wondering about those templated return type callbacks that exist..do they have any practical usage besides making arbitrary methods (at least up to Callback1) usable for Callback api? i mean, having a int MyClass::DoSth() is not able to be set as a callback target otherwise..

does anyone have some experience with it?

it'd be great to specify this where needed, maybe sth like
Callback cb = THISBACK(IgnoreReturn(MyMethod));
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30302 is a reply to message #30273] Wed, 22 December 2010 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 16:45

i'm still wondering about those templated return type callbacks that exist..do they have any practical usage besides making arbitrary methods (at least up to Callback1) usable for Callback api? i mean, having a int MyClass::DoSth() is not able to be set as a callback target otherwise..

It is possible. I can give an example and a little change in callback to make it easy to use.
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30339 is a reply to message #30177] Sat, 25 December 2010 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 11:13

i was waiting for this feature long time, meanwhile, i had to pass all the other combinations grouping them together in a TupleX<>.

Actually, and that is bad in what sense? Smile

I am not about extending stuff here, but for 10 years we could quite happilly live with the current set, occasionally packing the set of parameters into some struct. I would say that if your code overflows with multiparameter callbacks, there is something bad with it...
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30340 is a reply to message #30273] Sat, 25 December 2010 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 09:45

You can always add a second method to ignore parameter. Such one-liner is simple.
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30359 is a reply to message #30339] Sun, 26 December 2010 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 11:01

kohait00 wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 11:13

Actually, and that is bad in what sense? Smile

I am not about extending stuff here, but for 10 years we could quite happilly live with the current set, occasionally packing the set of parameters into some struct. I would say that if your code overflows with multiparameter callbacks, there is something bad with it...

no it's not bad :)no question about that. it only was bit more of a hassle and write, to put them all together.

my motivation was to clean up actually. the extending brought me there. i often ran into situations where a callbackX comination was needed but not present and i also wanted to extend, but hesitated to start to wrap my mind around callback infrastructure in depths. when tojocky extended the callbacks it was more clearly visible where and what to do. so i have seen that the code blocks could be restructured a bit more to easy find and extend things if needed.

i might take a look and remove/separate all the callbacks extensions in an extra package, sth. like a CallbackEx, for those who like it. but this still would involve to update some of them because of name clashes.
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30718 is a reply to message #30359] Tue, 18 January 2011 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i think there is even more potential in the Callback structs which is not yet used, because it doesnt offer some combinations (just as tojockey has been extending it)

i.e i am using callbacks as implicit grouping of information instead of setting up arrays of structs that group them.

Quote:

if your code overflows with multiparameter callbacks, there is something bad with it...

this is not always the case Smile

have you taken a look at the code? i think it's more structured now.

i even might think of keeping things separated, means that the additional templates could go in an extra package, CallbackExtend or sth. but for this, there is still the need to have a naming convention, so users can extend theirs on their own.

should i prepare a package for that? are you interested?

Quote:

for 10 years we could quite happilly live with the current set

i'm all with it, i like the upp code really a lot, it's tried and powerfull. yet on some edges it could be more 'user' friendly. i often ran into 'well, this Callback combination is not possible'.
so i lined the things up for 98% usage..i dare to say the current is maybe 85%..

Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #30911 is a reply to message #30718] Fri, 28 January 2011 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 04:24

should i prepare a package for that? are you interested?

Me personally? Not really. Today I barely catch up with things i NEED, not much time to play with things I theoretically might need in future Smile

But please, while my influence on what has or has not to be in uppsrc is undebatable, I am not the only one to decide. So if anybody else desires more complex callback combinations to be covered, I will get back to this and hapilly put it into Core.

Until then, I recommend Bazaar. I guess that soon we will start something like "one package per month" voting process to get things from Bazaar to uppsrc. Fair enough?

Quote:

so i lined the things up for 98% usage..i dare to say the current is maybe 85%..

Example?

Mirek
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #31032 is a reply to message #30911] Tue, 01 February 2011 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i tried to organize the changes in a visible way..maybe it's more clear now what i mean.. and what i have done..

index.php?t=getfile&id=3071&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=3072&private=0

the problem of extending it in bazaar is the name clash with tojockeys adds. i have changed the name the logical extend.
  • Attachment: cb.gif
    (Size: 15.30KB, Downloaded 821 times)
  • Attachment: gate.GIF
    (Size: 10.47KB, Downloaded 758 times)
  • Attachment: callbacks.xls
    (Size: 16.50KB, Downloaded 320 times)
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #31035 is a reply to message #31032] Wed, 02 February 2011 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 23:39

i tried to organize the changes in a visible way..maybe it's more clear now what i mean.. and what i have done..

index.php?t=getfile&id=3071&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=3072&private=0

the problem of extending it in bazaar is the name clash with tojockeys adds. i have changed the name the logical extend.

I Agree with you, But, Mirek is right! In this case we have a problem with overloaded functions.
To be more clear, we need to keep old functionality and to provide new functions like:
THISBACKDETR(rettype, method) Callback(new CallbackMethodAction<CLASSNAME, rettype (CLASSNAME::*)()>(this, &CLASSNAME::method)) // can accept functions with return type, but cannot get the returned value
THISBACKDETRP0ARG1(rettype, method, arg1_value)
THISBACKDETRP0ARG2(rettype, method, arg1_value, arg2_value)
THISBACKDETRP0ARG3(rettype, method, arg1_value, arg2_value, arg3_value)
THISSIGNDETR(rettype, method) // will return type like Gate but arbitrary type
THISSIGNDETRP0ARG1(rettype, method, arg1_value) // will return type like Gate but arbitrary type

OK, I propose to create a package in bazaar with our realization and a simple demo.
Re: Callback (THISBACK) Improve [message #31039 is a reply to message #31035] Wed, 02 February 2011 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Contributor
my problem is that i couldnt figure out why the others callbackactions in params 0 row are not made with template class R return type..

if thats the matter i can change it quite fast to the class R thing again.. does it mess up with the Gate return types?
Previous Topic: Core regression between svn 6693 -> 6697
Next Topic: Code for Substrating Months And Years function In Date Class
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:19:47 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01521 seconds