Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » TheIde new look and new features
Re: TheIde new look [message #30721 is a reply to message #30719] Tue, 18 January 2011 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Blurry fonts are just an artifact.
I would appreciate any comments on how to improve "current file" selector as it looks unnatural here.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30729 is a reply to message #30721] Tue, 18 January 2011 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Speaking about improving TheIDE...

Recently I am thinking a lot about Web development or OpenCL development. I think these two things have one thing in common - you need some text files that are not .cpp (or, more specifically, should not be build, but somehow 'exported').

So I am now thinking that we should add some support to this, and I can see three ways:

- files are somehow copied to .exe directory
- files are somehow included into .exe uncompressed
- files are somehow included into .exe compressed

I guess these methods would enable a lot of interesting stuff to be done with theide.. Smile
Re: TheIde new look [message #30730 is a reply to message #30729] Tue, 18 January 2011 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

The way to choose depends on specifics.
If these datafiles are rarely more than 1 MB of size and should be accessed immediately, the only way is to import them into binary "as is". If not, you do already have cross-platform mechanism of compressing data and including it into binary (for images).
Re: TheIde new look [message #30731 is a reply to message #30730] Wed, 19 January 2011 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Actually, I wanted to use all three methods - make it settable on per-file basis, perhaps with some default action.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30733 is a reply to message #30731] Wed, 19 January 2011 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Hi chaps,

As an external observer I must say: Excellent work this.

Regarding OpenCL it is no necessary to have special files; so your write the code in OpenCL and name the file with the extension you want (obviously you do not use “.cpp” and the like). I have used it in some easy examples and works fine with U++ (the same arrangement is used with OpenGL Shading Language).

I think implementation of Docking in U++ would provide a more “professional” look.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Javier
Re: TheIde new look [message #30734 is a reply to message #30733] Wed, 19 January 2011 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
281264 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 04:23

Hi chaps,

As an external observer I must say: Excellent work this.

Regarding OpenCL it is no necessary to have special files; so your write the code in OpenCL and name the file with the extension you want (obviously you do not use “.cpp” and the like). I have used it in some easy examples and works fine with U++ (the same arrangement is used with OpenGL Shading Language).

Ah, you perhaps misunderstand what I propose, which is nothing quite complicated.

The only problem I am trying to solve is how to have these files in package (to keep U++ modularity concept) and in the same time accessible with release version of application, without too much hassle.

IMO, means that in most cases simple copy to output directory would be enough (.exe can easily read it from there).

Re: TheIde new look [message #30735 is a reply to message #30733] Wed, 19 January 2011 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
281264 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 04:23

BTW, if you have something like package using OpenCL and are willing to share, I would like to see it...

Mirek
Re: TheIde new look [message #30739 is a reply to message #30485] Wed, 19 January 2011 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Thanks.

FYI, what I am after is this line:

Quote:

std::ifstream file("C:/MyApps/OpenCL/example1_kernels.cl");

which should become something like

Quote:

FileIn file(GetExeDirFile("OpenCL/example1_kernels.cl");

or perhaps

Quote:

String file = GetResource("OpenCL/example1_kernels.cl");

(all of that as part of build process).

Mirek
Re: TheIde new look [message #30751 is a reply to message #30739] Thu, 20 January 2011 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Another feature I am missing from theide is that while in theory the editor is only limited by available memory, working with files >10MB is painful (but mostly because too long load/save time).

As such files are almost never supposed to be edited, perhaps we should provide view mode for them instead, not loading them into the memory.

The only thing missing here is a good nice widget for such viewer Smile

(See e.g. Total commander for inspiration...)
Re: TheIde new look [message #30752 is a reply to message #30751] Thu, 20 January 2011 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 09:04

Another feature I am missing from theide is that while in theory the editor is only limited by available memory, working with files >10MB is painful (but mostly because too long load/save time).

As such files are almost never supposed to be edited, perhaps we should provide view mode for them instead, not loading them into the memory.

You could allow editing big files only in overwrite mode (no saving problems). From time to time it can be useful.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30758 is a reply to message #30752] Thu, 20 January 2011 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 09:26

mirek wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 09:04

You could allow editing big files only in overwrite mode (no saving problems). From time to time it can be useful.

Well, maybe, but you still need that view widget first Smile
Re: TheIde new look [message #30767 is a reply to message #30758] Fri, 21 January 2011 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Before I comment all excellent ideas in this thread (especially Mindtraveller's prototype) I would like to ask you what do you think about this change. I removed second tab bar from theide in editor split mode. Instead the second edited file tab has different color (on the screenshot yellow - don't worry about it - this is only for test purposes). I think this is better, especially if there are many tabs. Normally after split you would get two tab bars with long scrollbars what makes navigating cumbersome. What's more important if you would close some tabs from the second editor and quit split mode and enter it again all those tabs would be restored. So there is no real advantage from having second tab bar. Besides one tab bar makes theide code simpler and splitting editors a little bit faster. Screenshot:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3049&private=0
Tell me please what you think about it. If there won't be any objections or complaints I'll commit the change.
  • Attachment: idetabs.png
    (Size: 57.94KB, Downloaded 762 times)
Re: TheIde new look [message #30768 is a reply to message #30767] Fri, 21 January 2011 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I agree with this change. Also, there is quite annoying issue with that "explorer" thing (you have it off on your screenshot). That one should perhaps occupy the whole space indepentent from the editor split.

Well, I sense in the air we will have a period of extensive theide development soon. So my only objection to immediate commit is:

What about a nice little U++ release first? Smile
Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30771 is a reply to message #30485] Fri, 21 January 2011 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I certainly support single tab bar, looks more usable to me.

Some tiny objections from me (not a showstoppers, just areas to research if it can't be improved even more):

I don't see clearly which pane is active (only hint is cursor).
edit: also the left bar with doc edit rectangles is available only with active tab, still the difference is minor.

That said you have orange line over top of active tab, in my IDE (host theme in WinXP with classic theme) there's no visual clue at all except having red cross for closing tab.

Also what if active tab and secondary tab are too far away from themselves? You can see name of tab by switching to it, so it's probably enough, or may it get annoying? (and we should pin somewhere into edit window the name if tab is gone?)

Can we color the inactive big bar on left (line nums + doc edit + recently modified lines)? Maybe just the base color for unchanged lines. I'm sure it would make identification of panes easy, but I have no idea if it will look good and natural, maybe it will be even more annoying. Smile Something to try out.

Also I think I would LIKE to have active tab colored in same way for example with that light orange. And in the end I would love to see ColorfulTabs in IDE. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2011 15:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30809 is a reply to message #30771] Mon, 24 January 2011 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

2nd version of U++ IDE look:

index.php?t=getfile&id=3058&private=0

Let's collect what do we have here:
* menu & toolbar in one line which saves precious vertical space
* code navigator fits into much smaller space while doing the same (it is 100% equivalent to current navigator)
* in-code search, which I personally need much: just press Ctrl-I and type search string inside search entry; pressing Ctrl-I will cycle through samples found (should also draw a count of found items inside the "zoom" icon)
* areas for manual text entry now have white color background, while mouse-controlled areas are gray
* packages and files now reside single control. Pros: single scroller, and now you may view a number of packages files' at once. Underlining is substituted with more graphically "nice" (IMO) icon color approach.
Packages are always sorted by the name. Exception is the main package which is on the top.
Files with different extensions are collected into one record. File icon is coloured with the same rule as package icon.
Separators within package file list divide file list without making extra visual noise (IMO one of my best results in this picture).
* it is significantly much space for code. Besides, the left part of the window, which is more intensively caught by the human eye, is purified from any controls, making coding a more convenient process. All the navigators are moved to the top and to the right.
  • Attachment: theide2.png
    (Size: 55.68KB, Downloaded 754 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2011 08:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30810 is a reply to message #30809] Mon, 24 January 2011 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
really nice, man. definitely a good way to go with it. looking forward to have it.

some more hints / ideas that maybe could even save some more space.

* get rid of tabs by trying to slightly highlight at right side those files that are opened. but well i sea, workspace explorer is not package explorer, so maybe this is no good otoh, a file droplist could replace the tabbar, and go to leftmost place in the horizontal bar, left next to the other droplists.

* side explorer blends in/over work area when mouse goes fully at right side, without causing moving/resizing the code area (dont cause visual noise Smile. yields entire workarea for code, and accounts for occcassional usage side bar.
Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30812 is a reply to message #30809] Mon, 24 January 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 18:03

2nd version of U++ IDE look:

Just one question: Is this mockup or working ide? Smile

Quote:

* it is significantly much space for code.

Well, about this... I guess you do not have widescreen yet.

In fact, putting code explorer where it is now was partly motivated by the fact that widescreen LCDs are much more standard then original 4:3 today. With widescreen, you have surplus of horizontal space...
Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30814 is a reply to message #30809] Mon, 24 January 2011 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Mindtraveller,

I must say you have made an excellent prototype for the new IDE design. The simplicity, clarity and sophisticated style of the interface are really appealing. The improved efficiency in the screen area usage comes in handy especially when on road with the notebook PC.

The only thing I would change is to put the new package/file list on the left side of the source code area -- or maybe just an option to select either left or right side for it. This is to keep the most intensely looked-at window area right at the center of the screen. (That area obviously is about the left half of the source code window.)

When can I get this?? I just can't wait!

Best regards,

Tom
Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30818 is a reply to message #30812] Mon, 24 January 2011 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 09:32

In fact, putting code explorer where it is now was partly motivated by the fact that widescreen LCDs are much more standard then original 4:3 today. With widescreen, you have surplus of horizontal space...

You are right about the widescreen spreading everywhere, but the ratio is not everything - the "widescreen" on my primary machine is 1024x600 Very Happy So I strongly support saving as much space as possible, both in horizontal and vertical direction.

Also Tom is IMHO right about keeping the package list on the left (or configurable) to keep the code in the center of the screen. And that is especially true on big screens, where the distance from left side to corner can be quite large.

Honza
Re: TheIde new look and new features [message #30820 is a reply to message #30818] Mon, 24 January 2011 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

Don't worry about the side. With docking integrated it can be placed anywhere. Docking has also option to lock the layout that hides every ui element that is related to docking so application can look like docking was not there Smile
Previous Topic: Docking
Next Topic: v8 JavaScript in U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:12:28 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02779 seconds