Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » Do we need some restriction for new users due to...?
Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30931] Fri, 28 January 2011 18:11 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I have noticed recently that there cases when spammers register to our forum and put links related to the places we all hate. Then someone bans them (my guess - honza? Smile ).
But that wastes time and creates bogus users.
This reminded me some ideas which other forums have:
1. restrict users with 0 messages not to be allowed to put www links? Does anyone know how technically to do this with fudforum?
And/or
2 force users with 0 messages to post at least one introductory message into a special "say hello" forum section which e.g could be restricted to viewing for logged users only. And only after that allow to post to other sections.
And/or
3 require to answer a simple poll/questionnaire in that "say hello" section.
This way we could also gather some statistics how they had found us, what they expect, and maybe make them feel more welcome etc.
What do you think?
Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30932 is a reply to message #30931] Fri, 28 January 2011 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 18:11

I have noticed recently that there cases when spammers register to our forum and put links related to the places we all hate. Then someone bans them (my guess - honza? Smile ).

You guess wrong, I'm just a regular user Smile

I'm not sure what are the possibilities of this forum, but I think that it doesn't have any of the advanced security options you are talking about... It is rather old engine (2006), back than spam probably wasn't so much of a problem Smile

The new versions of FUDForum do have the means to fight spammers, so maybe it is time to upgrade Smile The fudforum wiki says that upgrade from 2.x to 3.0 should work just fine.

Honza
Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30934 is a reply to message #30932] Fri, 28 January 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 17:31

You guess wrong, I'm just a regular user Smile

You deserve to have admin rights, I think. Smile
dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 17:31

I'm not sure what are the possibilities of this forum, but I think that it doesn't have any of the advanced security options you are talking about... It is rather old engine (2006), back than spam probably wasn't so much of a problem Smile

The new versions of FUDForum do have the means to fight spammers, so maybe it is time to upgrade Smile The fudforum wiki says that upgrade from 2.x to 3.0 should work just fine.

Honza

Can someone with domain root privileges upgrade the forum?
Also, off topic but message indexing needs to be done, I think on a regular basis because forum searching is not working properly.
EDIT: I could press the buttons myself but I dont know how long it would put the forum off-line and what to do if something goes wrong. I used to do that long time ago when I had root access.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2011 18:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30937 is a reply to message #30934] Fri, 28 January 2011 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 18:45

Also, off topic but message indexing needs to be done, I think on a regular basis because forum searching is not working properly.
EDIT: I could press the buttons myself but I dont know how long it would put the forum off-line and what to do if something goes wrong.

I never had a problem with message search... but if there is one, Google is already indexing the forum, just use the search button on the left side Wink

And concerning the upgrade - there should be a backup made first Wink How to do that is described in one of the links I posted above, not sure if you need to access the server directly or if it is possible from the forum UI.

Honza
Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30938 is a reply to message #30931] Fri, 28 January 2011 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Me and koldo are probably the most active spammers blockers.

As far as I'm speaking about me, I don't mind to do it like now, it takes me 10sec-4min daily, and I have good feel that I'm contributing at least in some way. (it's sort of fun and relief in the work schedule)

Also I didn't notice recently any spam to remain undetected for more then 2-4h at my daily hours, which is imho superb response time and there's no advantage for spammers to attack this forum hard (unless they want to force us to improve defense Smile ).
Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30940 is a reply to message #30938] Fri, 28 January 2011 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 20:24

Me and koldo are probably the most active spammers blockers.

As far as I'm speaking about me, I don't mind to do it like now, it takes me 10sec-4min daily, and I have good feel that I'm contributing at least in some way. (it's sort of fun and relief in the work schedule)

Also I didn't notice recently any spam to remain undetected for more then 2-4h at my daily hours, which is imho superb response time and there's no advantage for spammers to attack this forum hard (unless they want to force us to improve defense Smile ).

Hello all

I agree with Ped.

It is good to improve but, for now, all spam is removed quickly.

Spammers are banned and after some weeks, deleted.

No spammer has answered until now Smile, so the banning criteria seems to be right.

I do not want to be aggressive: for example, more than one user declares in the occupation to be spammer, and it seems we have not received spam from them Smile.

Anyway, the spam we receive is low: for example, the Google Tutoring Plan group receive more spam than U++ Forum and, considering that Google has anti spam filters, it seems we are right now.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30948 is a reply to message #30940] Sat, 29 January 2011 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

The best spam filter - is an active community Razz

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}

[Updated on: Sat, 29 January 2011 05:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...? [message #30949 is a reply to message #30948] Sat, 29 January 2011 05:14 Go to previous message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

In addition, new users should not take too strong control. It will scare them.

On the other hand, hundreds of people come every day and read ALL new messages. Pass through this filter is unrealistic.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Previous Topic: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...)
Next Topic: This Weeks messages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:35:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01597 seconds